Growing a Human - Again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several years back I had a student with a pregnant mom, and I didn't know it despite seeing her every day. She gave birth to a girl early, at about 7ish months, and I was absolutely shocked. You couldn't tell she was pregnant front the front or the back! And she was fairly skinny, so that baby must have been straight up and down!

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily - Thank you!!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! My Aunt's friend was very petite and her belly stayed tiny. She looked maybe 5/6 months when she was almost full term. A girl I went to high school and college with was in my homeroom and she hid her pregnancy from almost everyone. We were shocked when our homeroom teacher announced that she'd had her baby. She was very tall and back then wearing your coat all day was the thing to do. It wasn't like her family didn't know; she just didn't like a lot of attention.

When I had my son everyone was doing some kind of urine-baking soda test to see what the gender was going to be. I never got around to trying that one. :lol: You could probably make a game out of some trying all the old wives tales.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I think the Chinese and Mayan predictors say girl for me (there seem to be different Chinese charts because I sometimes get boy), and I tried the ring test, and I think that said boy. I tried to Ramzi my ultrasound, but I'm not 100% sure where the placenta is, so who knows?

As I'm hoping not to find out for sure before birth, it's all in fun.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As I'm hoping not to find out for sure before birth, it's all in fun.
Good for you! :thumbsup: Of course, it's a personal decision but I didn't want to know the gender before birth either. We painted the room a soft pastel color and got gender neutral bedding. I wanted to be surprised and when people would ask the sex of the baby I'd say, "a boy or a girl." ;)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to your mom as well Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily ! I'm enjoying documenting the process as well. It helps keep me a bit grounded and from being anxious all the time, and getting yummy treats to eat each week is a definite plus.

I will cry for a week if I end up with gestational diabetes.

neely neely - the room that would be the nursery is already gray, so we'll keep it that way! I figure it already works. And cats are a perfect gender neutral nursery theme.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am 5 ft with a long torso. With my son, I went up one pant size and no one could tell I was pregnant. With my daughter, I was huge. I had them both more than a month early, so who knows what I would have looked like if I had! When I was pregnant with my son, I really did not have much in the way of cravings, but with my daughter, I wanted raw meat dipped in butter (I wanted it, I did not get it!) and raspberries. We joke that she is a demon.

I had horrible heartburn with both. My son was born with auburn hair that turned more of a strawberry blonde before he was one (He is almost 27 now, and it is still strawberry blonde, but more blonde than strawberry.). My daughter was pretty much bald until she was two. She has light brown hair. She had heartburn with her son and was told he was going to have a lot of hair. He had light brown fuzz. At almost 7 months, he has slightly longer light brown fuzz.

Have you started having any odd dreams about the baby? I have odd dreams all the time, but it was so much worse when I was pregnant. With both, I dreamt that they ate their twins.

Are you going to keep your name choices private until you have the baby? Sorry, if you already mentioned it.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elphaba09 Elphaba09 - I assume your son came first? That would make sense with the theory that your body already knew what it was doing with your daughter and hence showed more/earlier.

I don't think my mom had heartburn, but I was born with a full thick head of dark hair. My husband apparently was bald, so it'll be interesting to see who Bebe take after.

I sway between sweet and salty cravings. Some days I want candy and desserts, others I want cheese and crackers.

I've definitely had more vivid dreams, but I can't think of any about Bebe in particular.

I haven't made a decision about sharing names yet. I picked out a girl name at 13, so I think people that know me well can guess what the name would be. No boy names at all yet! At the same time, when you tell the name early, people feel entitled to give their opinions on if you should use the chosen name or not. And I did see something nice about baby being the first to hear their own full name. So yeah, that's up in the air.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
when you tell the name early, people feel entitled to give their opinions on if you should use the chosen name or not. And I did see something nice about baby being the first to hear their own full name.
So true, I completely agree with you. :agree: I never said too much beforehand for the same reason. In fact, with our second we couldn't agree on a name so she wasn't named until I was in the delivery room.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the same time, when you tell the name early, people feel entitled to give their opinions on if you should use the chosen name or not
That is very true! Not to go too much as to why, but there are seven years between my son and daughter. My ex-husband and I had her name picked out a year and a half after our son was born, and several people gave their opinions concerning the actual name, the spelling, and the pronunciation. I gave them my final statement on their opinions and left it at that. I was exceptionally mean when I was pregnant as if the hormones turned me into some monster, and comments about the names I had selected really set me off. The only one who tried to push it was my now ex-mother-in-law. In the end, I made her cry. Maybe not the nicest thing to do, but she would not stop. Also, she is not a nice person. (My daughter's first name is Helena, pronounced ha LAIN ah. I wanted HEL e NA, but my ex did not. I acquiesced because it suited her better and I got to pick her middle names. My ex-mother-in-law wanted the spelling to be Halayneha. What is that?!)

I think I have only personally attempted to dissuade someone from giving a certain name to their child once. Thankfully, they actually listened because I made a very valid point. The name? Ah'Naestee. She was trying to be clever with Honesty. My argument? "Ah, Nasty" becoming her nickname in school. She went with the same name but a different spelling. Other than that one person, I keep my opinions of selected names to myself if I do not like them! Haha! I wish more people would!

When I am asked, however, to think of names--especially for cats!--I am glad to give them.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Helena is a beautiful name!!! Your ex MIL's spelling is bizarre and not very intuitive at all. I'm sure I'd mispronounce it if I saw it at first.

Yeah, I can see saying something if a name is likely to lead to teasing. Most people I know have given perfectly good names - may not be my style or something I would use, but still solid names that suit their style and will serve their children well as they go through life.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had one friend who kept suggesting names till it drove me crazy and I told came up with an awful one just to make her be quiet. I think she likes names that were super popular in the 80s when we were kids. I don’t understand that. They would have reminded me of people from school. :dunno:

So with DD we didn’t really tell anyone. It wasn’t a secret with DS but we didn’t announce it either.

My cousin’s SIL actually cut them off over what they named their son last year. So keeping things quiet can really be for the best.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She mistakenly thought it was the Italian version of her son’s name. It isn’t. They start with the same 2 letters but otherwise are nothing alike. (I feel I should mention none of them are 100% Italian or live in Italy. 😉) They don’t share a last name, age or even live in the same school districts. Her SIL knew they liked this name when they had their first. I told my cousin that if she was being unreasonable about the name I would tell her. She wasn’t.

Honestly its just the SILs personality. Shes a bit spoiled and entitled. She’s a bit of a sanctimommy but at this point my kids are older than hers enough that I just ignore it and laugh it off. If it hadn’t happened over this; it would likely have been something else. Fortunately my cousin’s husband is just as bull headed without the entitlement. He won’t be manipulated. His parents are nice too. Outside of his sister it amazed me how our families assimilated into one.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one friend who kept suggesting names till it drove me crazy and I told came up with an awful one just to make her be quiet. I think she likes names that were super popular in the 80s when we were kids. I don’t understand that. They would have reminded me of people from school. :dunno:

So with DD we didn’t really tell anyone. It wasn’t a secret with DS but we didn’t announce it either.

My cousin’s SIL actually cut them off over what they named their son last year. So keeping things quiet can really be for the best.
Yikes! People get so worked up over other kid's names. :confused2:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She’s a bit of a sanctimommy
Sanctimommy! :spew:That's hilarious, never heard that one before.

A friend of mine had her first baby last year and she's already peeved with other mothers who seem to have forgotten she has a name of her own. Over here mothers are known by their kid's name + mamma. So you get Tomo-mamma, Aria-mamma, Keina-mamma etc. That would drive me nuts too.