Growing a Human - Again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We also interviewed pediatricians early this evening. I think we're both leaning toward the same one, though I was honestly impressed with both!

Things like that make this seem so much more real. It's a bit terrifying!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that’s great too! A good pediatrician is soo important! I used to call a lot of the local ones because we did hearing tests for a lot of kids. I found out you can tell a lot about the doctors by how speaking to their staff goes! That helped me pick a few. My first choice was full unless you had another child with them already. I was not on the ball with finding one!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're both taking newborns and were basically just like "If you choose us, call before being discharged and we'll get you in." I expected having to fill out mountains of paperwork first. (Neither one has admitting privileges at my hospital, which I expected by looking for a closer ped, since I didn't choose the closest hospital).

This seems like such a grown up decision. Sometimes I feel like I need a more grown up grown up to help me, and I'm older than a lot of first time moms!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ha! I get it! I’m finally starting to feel like a real grown up but sometimes I just want someone else to tell me what decision to make. Our pediatrician didn’t work with the hospital I delivered at even though they are the same company. The ped on call saw them and it was fine. I was just in a daze having had DD show up so early and all. I don’t know why but it just didn’t cross my mind to do I guess. Heck I forgot to call my OB and tell him I was in labor! :paperbag: I promise I’m not a total air-head! :lol2: I was probably in shock.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
(Neither one has admitting privileges at my hospital, which I expected by looking for a closer ped, since I didn't choose the closest hospital).
This brings back memories - since I worked downtown when I was pregnant with my first but lived further away from that area my ob/gyne and hospital were in the city but my pediatrician also did not have admitting privileges at the hospital. It turned out perfectly fine and the medical staff at the hospital took such good care of myself and my daughter that I went back there with my second pregnancy. I'm sure it will work out well for you too. 🤗 It's always good to hear other people's positive experiences.

The only additional tip regarding choosing a pediatrician that I was told and will pass on to you is to talk to them upfront about their feelings on breastfeeding should you choose to go that route. I was told to ask the pediatrician I was interviewing whether he or she would help work with me should I have any difficulties and not automatically go to a bottle. This is a very personal decision so do what is best for you and don't be alarmed if you want to breastfeed but have problems. Many babies are fed from a bottle and do just fine. In fact, my own mother chose to use a bottle for my sister and I. She had no regrets and we were perfectly healthy. Don't put any pressure on yourself especially as a first time mom. :hugs:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
neely neely - I'm glad to hear it worked out for you! I think it should be fine to just see whoever they recommend at the hospital and switch over.

I did actually ask them both about breastfeeding (among other things) and both seemed very supportive. Plus my midwife's office has a lactation consultant, so I know I can go to them with any problems. I'm really hoping I can make it work, but will try not to beat myself up if it doesn't.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The breastfeeding thing was so hard for me. I struggled to bond with DD over it and ultimately decided our bond and my health were more important. I had preeclampsia with both kids; but my blood pressure didn't go down with DD until I stopped pumping. I think it was the stress/lack of sleep from having to pump so many times a day and feeling like I never held DD just to hold her. So when my -then childless- cousin told me in her very blunt way to "JUST BREASTFEED!" it felt like a slap in the face. Some people will need to take their opinions to where the sun don't shine. ;) It's ok if you change your mind on things. That's what I would tell myself before DD was born if I could go back in time. :agree: I'm still glad I took the breastfeeding course my hospital offered (strangely the LC didn't teach that...) and read up on it like I did. It did help me feel like I was making educated decisions. But at the end of the day; no one gets to tell another parent what choice is right. It looks to me like you will have more options for support if it does get off to a bumpy start. So that's really encouraging too!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
29 weeks

Bebe is as big as a fougasse, a Hawaiian pineapple, a Barbie convertible, a New England cottontail rabbit and this pepperoni. Apps and websites say Bebe weighs about 2.5 lbs, but that's what they estimated as weight last Friday, while also putting Bebe in the 49th percentile, so the apps may be a little off.

I'm definitely noticing it's getting harder to do things like get up off our couch. Bebe tends to be most active after lunch, and I think right now their favorite Kina Grannis song is Valentine, but they do move around when I put my earbud on my belly, so I think I'm succeding in making a fan. Me doing Duolingo also seems to get them active.

1015201902_HDR.jpg
1015201904.jpg
1015201904a.jpg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a package from my twin aunts! They made the most purr-fect blankets, hats and booties for Bebe! (There was a touch and feel kitten book and some burp cloths, too)

1016201905.jpg
1016201906.jpg
1016201905a.jpg

I love them so much!!!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise