Growing a Human - Again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned on facebook that it occurred to me that if I'd stayed at my school, I would have been going back to work yesterday (12 weeks FMLA + bonus 6 days due to being born during Christmas break). I can't imagine being away from her for that many hours when she's still so little (though probably the fact she doesn't like bottles may have something to do with it. Now that she's putting more things in her mouth it might be worth trying again)! The US totally fails at maternity leave.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is so sweet and looks so healthy. Time does fly by. It will seem like no time at all and she will be graduating from high school and hopefully going on to college. You will be at her commencement wondering 'where did all the time go, it seems like only yesterday she was a baby'.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can't imagine being away from her for that many hours when she's still so little (though probably the fact she doesn't like bottles may have something to do with it. Now that she's putting more things in her mouth it might be worth trying again)! The US totally fails at maternity leave.
I agree with you 100%, I wanted to be home with my first more than anything.🤱 I told my husband we would cut back on expenses we absolutely didn't need so that I could continue nursing and watch over our newborn. Regarding maternity leave, I know a lot more employers offer paternity leave now so that parents can take time off back-to-back. It's not perfect but it helps a little. I'm glad you will be able to stay home with Baby J and not have to worry about going back to work yet. 🤗

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is so sweet and looks so healthy. Time does fly by. It will seem like no time at all and she will be graduating from high school and hopefully going on to college. You will be at her commencement wondering 'where did all the time go, it seems like only yesterday she was a baby'.
Oh man, I can't think that far ahead. It's overwhelming!

I agree with you 100%, I wanted to be home with my first more than anything.🤱 I told my husband we would cut back on expenses we absolutely didn't need so that I could continue nursing and watch over our newborn. Regarding maternity leave, I know a lot more employers offer paternity leave now so that parents can take time off back-to-back. It's not perfect but it helps a little. I'm glad you will be able to stay home with Baby J and not have to worry about going back to work yet. 🤗
My husband took two weeks at the beginning, but didn't get paternity leave unless he wanted to take fmla. But since he's working from home, it's not too bad.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned on facebook that it occurred to me that if I'd stayed at my school, I would have been going back to work yesterday (12 weeks FMLA + bonus 6 days due to being born during Christmas break). I can't imagine being away from her for that many hours when she's still so little (though probably the fact she doesn't like bottles may have something to do with it. Now that she's putting more things in her mouth it might be worth trying again)! The US totally fails at maternity leave.
I totally feel this. We are going to start trying soon, and I'm getting all my ducks in a row. My company has no sort of leave policy, maternal or paternal. Just FMLA...and they make you burn through all your accrued vacation and sick time before they will give you unpaid PTO, AND you don't accrue benefits during FMLA. It's such a racket. I have a friend that works for a larger company in NC and she gets 16 weeks, fully paid, no questions asked, as well as the option to take FMLA afterwards. Sigh. :(

My husband works for the state and they offer nothing aside from FMLA, either. Fortunately, he has enough sick time accrued that his will be fully paid.

Where has the time gone? How is your sweet babe already 3 months. Ahh :heartshape::heartshape::heartshape:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things still going well?
Yes! I need to update here nore often. A year ago tomorrow, I got my first positive pregnancy test, and it's crazy to think of how long ago that feels now.

J is such a joy! She rolled from belly to back last night, so I'm curious to see if she gets it and will do it more often, or was still just a bit of an accident (she was lifting her head pretty high to look at a toy I was holding). She's luckily sleeping pretty good at night for now. She also has her daddy completely wrapped around her little finger. Love it!

EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie - I'm so excited for you! Best of luck TTC!!! But it's too bad your company doesn't have a good leave policy. Do you have short term disability insurance? My friend used that to get paid for part of her maternity leave because her company didn't have great benefits either (she also had to use all her sick and vacation days, and her daughter was born in April, so there was a lot of year left where she didn't have days).

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lari Lari my company does have short term disability (that I pay into), but pregnancy is not a qualifying event. Sigh.
Ugh, that's too bad. She also had a c section (rather than going for a vbac, this was her second child), so idk if that had anything to do with her coverage because of the surgery, or if it still would have been covered even for a vaginal birth. Not that I recommend going for a c section just for potential coverage!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad that you are enjoying her so much and that daddy has bonded with her. As she gets older the best protection a girl has when it comes to staying away from bad boys is that special father/daughter relationship. That gives girls a sense of worth and self respect that makes them selective about boys.