Growing a Human - Again!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
And I keep crying today. I assume it's hormonal, but I'm just so overwhelmed as well. I've never been good with change.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: I'm not a mom so no firsthand experience, but it's a lot! It's a lot with the bonus of a crazy, emotional year. You'll get into a groove with her. Be easy on yourself. :hugs:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every new mom has those moments when you get overwhelmed, we all wondered how we were going to get through it. You'll be fine, it works out, just try to enjoy her and the rest will follow. I would have given a lot to have the internet with my first one, what a wonderful help! All the luck, a beautiful addition to your world!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The hormonal ups and downs are unfortunately part of it. Stress and lack of sleep adds to it. Cats are very sensitive to where we are at emotionally so they are part of it as well. Things will smooth out. Try to get enough sleep and realize that you can't do it all. Taking care of the baby is first priority everything else will get done in time.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You’ll be able to pump and let DH help soon. It so often feels like everything is put on you when you just did the hard work of getting them here! I had to learn to tell DH what I needed. And not “prove myself”. I don’t know who I was trying to impress. Myself? It was probably my own insecurities talking. ;) One thing that helped was him taking the monitor when he got up in the morning. I got a couple hours of sleep without worrying about them needing me. Saturdays I got to sleep more too. Once she starts spacing out her eating you can do dream feeds and things to help. I always struggled to get to sleep when I knew I was going to be up again in such a short time. I promise it gets better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could have a Lari day. Mani, Pedi, eyebrow wax, etc. and a huge fattening lunch!
Have you thought about pumping milk and putting it in bottles so your husband can feed her as well?
Too bad there's something called covid 19 out and about.

I am pumping and he's been doing a syringe feeding a day, but we may need to look into cup feeding or paced bottle feeding until she gets more established on the breast, because the syringe is so small.

she has enough hair for lil piggy tails what did you guys name her?
Almost, but not quite. Maybe in a few months. And I'm just putting J publicly here since anyone can see this and there aren't any friend filters like on facebook.

You’ll be able to pump and let DH help soon. It so often feels like everything is put on you when you just did the hard work of getting them here! I had to learn to tell DH what I needed. And not “prove myself”. I don’t know who I was trying to impress. Myself? It was probably my own insecurities talking. ;) One thing that helped was him taking the monitor when he got up in the morning. I got a couple hours of sleep without worrying about them needing me. Saturdays I got to sleep more too. Once she starts spacing out her eating you can do dream feeds and things to help. I always struggled to get to sleep when I knew I was going to be up again in such a short time. I promise it gets better!
My husband has been amazing so far with holding her and giving me little breaks. I can't complain.

She was awake from like midnight until 3, but I stayed in bed until 11:30 this morning sleeping on and off with her, so that helped.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband has been amazing so far with holding her and giving me little breaks. I can't complain.
Does he have time off work to stay with you? DH was ready to go back to work like a week after DD was born. I really like the idea of companies giving paternal leave too. I could have used more help!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he have time off work to stay with you? DH was ready to go back to work like a week after DD was born. I really like the idea of companies giving paternal leave too. I could have used more help!
He's taking the next week off, so it'll have been about two total since my water broke. He is working from home for the time being so he won't be able to take her for hours, but he'll be around.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im late in saying this, but congratulations!!!!! :heartshape: :yess: A little girl, what an incredible blessing. I love all my nieces and nephews equally. But girls are more fun because you get to buy such beautiful outfits. And you get to relive your childhood through them. I play dolls with my nieces. :blush: Reminds me of my childhood love of barbie. lol

I helped raise my niece and she would wear fancy disney princess dresses every single day. I dont care if we stayed home. I dont care if we went to a park, she wore her princess dress. :flail::biggrin: P.S. i didnt force her, she loved the dresses. lol

Anyway, the point i am making is that you have a lot of wonderful memories coming your way. :vibes::heartshape:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im late in saying this, but congratulations!!!!! :heartshape: :yess: A little girl, what an incredible blessing. I love all my nieces and nephews equally. But girls are more fun because you get to buy such beautiful outfits. And you get to relive your childhood through them. I play dolls with my nieces. :blush: Reminds me of my childhood love of barbie. lol

I helped raise my niece and she would wear fancy disney princess dresses every single day. I dont care if we stayed home. I dont care if we went to a park, she wore her princess dress. :flail::biggrin: P.S. i didnt force her, she loved the dresses. lol

Anyway, the point i am making is that you have a lot of wonderful memories coming your way. :vibes::heartshape:
Thank you so much! I really was hoping, and afraid to hope for a girl, and the people in RL who were convinced it was a boy were very convinced of it. When the midwife placed her on my chest I remember asking "So is it a boy?" and the one who was on call wasn't the one I'd seen the most so must not have realized I was Team Green and was all "Oh, you don't know? No, it's a girl!" and it was such a rush. I just looked at my husband and was all "It's a girl..."

I think I would have been the same way though if she had been a boy. With the emotion. I have absolutely no regrets waiting to find out even though I'm not properly prepared with ruffles and bows at this time.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you team big bow or team little to no bows?

At first DD's head was too little and then our big head genetics took over and no bows fit. Till I could clip them in her hair. We have a box full of those in all kinds of sizes that I can't part with. :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have absolutely no regrets waiting to find out even though I'm not properly prepared with ruffles and bows at this time.
I'm so glad you said this, I was hoping you would wait until Bebe was born and be surprised but I was afraid to say it. I also waited and it was the best decision for me. Regarding the ruffles and bows, don't worry, there's plenty of time, she won't know the difference. 😉

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you team big bow or team little to no bows?

At first DD's head was too little and then our big head genetics took over and no bows fit. Till I could clip them in her hair. We have a box full of those in all kinds of sizes that I can't part with. :lol:
I think I'll have to try several on her first to make a decision! I'm not sure about the super giant bigger than the head bows, but some fancy ones for special occasions should be more than minimal.

I'm so glad you said this, I was hoping you would wait until Bebe was born and be surprised but I was afraid to say it. I also waited and it was the best decision for me. Regarding the ruffles and bows, don't worry, there's plenty of time, she won't know the difference. 😉
And after all that, my husband never looked in the envelope! We opened it on New Year's Eve (it was right, btw).

I had said I'd be more willing to find out ahead of time for a second child to know how much I could reuse, but man, it was such a rush, I can see myself doing it again. I mean, can see why people would be impatient and want to be prepared. But it was just so amazing being surprised for me.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had my first one in 1979 and the other two in the early 80's. Ultrasound technology wasn't what it is today so it was hit or miss rather they could see which gender the baby was. The only ones who could know for sure were the ones who had amniocentesis and they aren't done very often. I wouldn't have wanted to know with the first one. By the third one I think I would have wanted to know if it had been an option.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I really was hoping, and afraid to hope for a girl, and the people in RL who were convinced it was a boy were very convinced of it. When the midwife placed her on my chest I remember asking "So is it a boy?" and the one who was on call wasn't the one I'd seen the most so must not have realized I was Team Green and was all "Oh, you don't know? No, it's a girl!" and it was such a rush. I just looked at my husband and was all "It's a girl..."

I think I would have been the same way though if she had been a boy. With the emotion. I have absolutely no regrets waiting to find out even though I'm not properly prepared with ruffles and bows at this time.
Its funny, everyone has their own methods to predict the gender of the baby. :lol: Supposedly how you carry the baby either high or low can be a predictor. Not sure if any of that is true. But it sounds fun to wait to learn the gender.

Dont worry if you dont have everything, it will come with time. I am sure family/friends will give you so much stuff you wont know what to do with it. Try not to overly buy clothes. They grow out of them fast. My SIL always buys limited shoes as well, because they dont last long. My niece has things she never even got to use. Size up with clothes when you can, even if it fits a bit loose, it will give you time to wear the outfit longer.

if you have a walmart near you, they sometimes drop baby clothes to $1. I buy my family members leggings and shirts for their babys/toddlers. The clothes arent bad quality. If you do have a walmart, get used to scanning things as you can find random things for $1.

Carters sometimes has baby clothes that they drop to very cheap, but their prices change day to day. If you get their credit card you get extra points and free shipping.

Sorry for the long post. :blush:I love saving money and have lots of nieces and nephews. :heartshape: