Growing a Human - Again!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you didn't want to be told if you were having a boy or girl but do you have a feeling one way or the other? I knew my DD was a girl from the beginning. I had the ultrasound but it just confirmed what I already knew. Congratulations either way. I can't wait to see pictures! :cloud9:
Many times, the mom will have dreams about their future baby, and the gender. So many times they re correct. I used to always ask my patients if they had dreams regarding the gender....

There is something to it..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you didn't want to be told if you were having a boy or girl but do you have a feeling one way or the other? I knew my DD was a girl from the beginning. I had the ultrasound but it just confirmed what I already knew. Congratulations either way. I can't wait to see pictures! :cloud9:
Honestly, I don't have a strong intuition one way or the other, but I've never been very good at trusting my intuition so maybe that's why. I spent a lot of time near the beginning telling myself it was a boy because I was hoping for a girl and was trying to get ahead of potential disappointment. Nowadays, I'll find I'll refer to both 'she' and 'he' at different times in my head without really thinking about it.

And the old wives' tales seem pretty split as well!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many times, the mom will have dreams about their future baby, and the gender. So many times they re correct. I used to always ask my patients if they had dreams regarding the gender....

There is something to it..
I didn't have dreams about her. It was more like an overwhelming feeling I had that she was telling me who she was.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never had an intuition about it; but I knew I would find out via ultrasound. My stepdad is ALWAYS right though. About everyone! With DD I kept having that little “what if they were wrong?!” in the back of my mind till she was born. The ultrasound tech even checked twice. :lol: DS gave us a good view so I didn’t have that concern the second time around.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
1) what birthday will Bebe choose (official due date is 12/31/20)?
2) how big will Bebe be (idk about length, but I was 9lbs 1oz, my husband was 7lbs 4oz, and I had a quick growth scan yesterday to double check we were head down and baby was measuring 6lbs 3oz/32nd percentile from what I was told)?
3) is Bebe a boy or a girl?
24 December
7 pounds 6 ounces
Girly Girl

Oh Lari,

I am so excited for you!! Think, a month from today you'll have bebe in your arms posting your girl in the Songs thread ♥ :hearthrob::redheartpump:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were thankfully able to meet with a police officer for a car seat installation safety check today! He had to adjust both our bases, so I'm glad we were able to do it and know everything was installed right. One more thing off the list.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooo nice! My mom took her car through one at a fair when DD was little. I hadn’t even thought about those not being available right now. Those bases are so much easier to use than a seatbelt. I had a scary incident doing that one time because the belt hadn’t fully latched. I always tried to be so diligent because a friend had an accident when her toddler Houdinied out of his seat and opened the door. By the Grace of God he was uninjured. Her car was old and didn’t have the child locks that are standard now. Hes close to 20 now so this was a while ago. My mom eventually bought a seat for her car; but in retrospect the extra bases are worth every penny! Having a good seat and knowing how to use it gives you peace of mind. I cringe when I see kids strapped in wrong. I try not to judge other parents; but on that its hard!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cringe when I see kids strapped in wrong. I try not to judge other parents; but on that its hard!
What is the wrong way to strap them in? When I used to babysit, I would take babies & toddlers with me in my car in a car seat all the time. I don't remember it being hard to strap them in, but maybe I did it wrong! 😲

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is the wrong way to strap them in? When I used to babysit, I would take babies & toddlers with me in my car in a car seat all the time. I don't remember it being hard to strap them in, but maybe I did it wrong! 😲
The seats need to be properly inclined, no slack in the belts or harnesses, the correct clip used to prevent it from loosening if you are using a seatbelt instead of the LATCH systems. People also put puffy coats on kids that prevents the straps from holding them in. Kids have come right out of their seats because of that in accidents! It looks tight but the force of an accident compresses the clothing. Or they don’t position the chest clips in the right spot. My DD is 5’4” and still uses a booster in one of our cars because it positions the belt better across her lap and shoulder. She has the height of an adult; but not the width or skeletal development. Fortunately there are more resources to help you find seats that work for your kid and know how to use them. 🙂 It can be overwhelming to learn it all; but I’m just grateful we live in a time where these things have been developed and proven to help keep our kiddos safe. 🙂

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The seats need to be properly inclined, no slack in the belts or harnesses, the correct clip used to prevent it from loosening if you are using a seatbelt instead of the LATCH systems.
Wow, I don't remember any of that. This was over 20 years ago. Maybe they didn't have rules back then? I had to cart the babies/kids everywhere, so I had them in and out of the car seat a lot. Hopefully I didn't have them strapped in wrong.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I don't remember any of that. This was over 20 years ago. Maybe they didn't have rules back then? I had to cart the babies/kids everywhere, so I had them in and out of the car seat a lot. Hopefully I didn't have them strapped in wrong.
Probably not like the do today. Things have changed. I remember a friend talking about her sons seat having a 5 point harness so it was considered a good seat. Hes 18 and those were standard by the time I had kids. But in other countries they aren’t common. I barely remember using a booster as a little kid. And I rode up front. Times change.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not like the do today. Things have changed. I remember a friend talking about her sons seat having a 5 point harness so it was considered a good seat. Hes 18 and those were standard by the time I had kids. But in other countries they aren’t common. I barely remember using a booster as a little kid. And I rode up front. Times change.
Yeah, my mom said they didn't rear face at all when I was a baby, and I plan on extended rear facing. There's a lot more education on what's safest (and also a lot more distracted drivers around with cell phones these days).

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my mom said they didn't rear face at all when I was a baby, and I plan on extended rear facing. There's a lot more education on what's safest (and also a lot more distracted drivers around with cell phones these days).
I think the latest recommendation is to keep a child rear-facing until the age of 4. The bones in their neck aren't fully calcified until that age, and forward-facing could result in a broken neck on impact. I, too, am planning on rear-facing as long as possible.

The seats need to be properly inclined, no slack in the belts or harnesses, the correct clip used to prevent it from loosening if you are using a seatbelt instead of the LATCH systems. People also put puffy coats on kids that prevents the straps from holding them in. Kids have come right out of their seats because of that in accidents! It looks tight but the force of an accident compresses the clothing. Or they don’t position the chest clips in the right spot. My DD is 5’4” and still uses a booster in one of our cars because it positions the belt better across her lap and shoulder. She has the height of an adult; but not the width or skeletal development. Fortunately there are more resources to help you find seats that work for your kid and know how to use them. 🙂 It can be overwhelming to learn it all; but I’m just grateful we live in a time where these things have been developed and proven to help keep our kiddos safe. 🙂
Oh wow. I, as a 26 year old, am under 5'4...and I use no sort of booster seat. Yikes...maybe I should.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think it probably depends where you live since I remember when I left the hospital the nurse went down to the car with us and made sure our seat was rear facing and that was 30 years ago. I delivered both babies in the city which may or may not have had different rules than in the suburbs. :dunno: Glad you were able to meet with the police officer for the car installation safety check.:thumbsup:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think rear-facing from birth to 6-12 months has been the recommendation for a long time. The new recommendations for 2-4 years old have been around probably for 15 years? I think I remember my brother talking about that when my first nephew was born, and he just turned 15. And my brother has massive children, so let me tell you that trying to cram a tall 40-pound 2-year-old into a rear-facing seat is no fun! Maybe newer cars will have a removable panel on the seats for their legs.