Grooming White Fur

Bagette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Posted these questions on Reddit, but unfortunately without success, so trying here.

For Christmas I got a 6-month-old youngster, something in between long- and short-haired, with white fur. Before I had more short-haired cats with fur of darker tones, but now that I have this fellow I'm a bit stumbled on how to keep his coat clean!

I'm mostly looking for something universal and handy for local cleaning. Because what he usually gets dirty are his face from eye discharge and, especially, his back legs from walking and sitting on them all day.

Articles recommend bathing him twice a month and sprinkling him with cornstarch, but I don't want to subject him to too much stress, especially when he can maintain himself pretty well. I already tried special pet wet wipes and just wet cloth, but they didn't prove to be very effective, plus cat hates the smell of wipes.

Also, it would be lovely if you can share from your experience a good cleaning method against yellow stains. Thank you kindly!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't brush her every day at least get a glove for brushing. They do not work as good but it's a starter to get her used to brushing. After brushing,dampen a paper towel.also my cats clean themselves

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bagette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you can't brush her every day at least get a glove for brushing. They do not work as good but it's a starter to get her used to brushing. After brushing,dampen a paper towel.also my cats clean themselves
Yeah, it seems like the notion is I need to get more cats and there will be no more problems xD And thank you for the tip with wet tower after brushing!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Posted these questions on Reddit, but unfortunately without success, so trying here.

For Christmas I got a 6-month-old youngster, something in between long- and short-haired, with white fur. Before I had more short-haired cats with fur of darker tones, but now that I have this fellow I'm a bit stumbled on how to keep his coat clean!

I'm mostly looking for something universal and handy for local cleaning. Because what he usually gets dirty are his face from eye discharge and, especially, his back legs from walking and sitting on them all day.

Articles recommend bathing him twice a month and sprinkling him with cornstarch, but I don't want to subject him to too much stress, especially when he can maintain himself pretty well. I already tried special pet wet wipes and just wet cloth, but they didn't prove to be very effective, plus cat hates the smell of wipes.

Also, it would be lovely if you can share from your experience a good cleaning method against yellow stains. Thank you kindly!
I usually comb my two boys once a week. They Are both mostly white. I've never needed too give them a bath. They have always had exceptional Grooming habits. They will wine at me if I forget to clean their litter boxes. I try too vaccum at least twice a week.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I had a white cat with FHV and she often had tearing and staining. A groomer suggested that I try using a saline solution on a cotton ball to clean around her eyes which worked pretty well.