Grooming tools for Persians

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're getting our first Persian kitty in August. I do have two other cats with medium to long hair so we have a cat brush. But they don't require more than like once a week brushing. With a Persian we're going to have to do daily brushing and I might need something different? I'd love some recommendations.

Currently we use a FurGoPet and a slicker brush on the kitties. Would these work with a Persian kitten? Should I also get a comb?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely get a comb. A greyhound stainless steel comb is best for Persians like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y5F77S/?tag=thecatsite

posiepurrs posiepurrs can definitely help you out. :thumbsup:
Thank you so much! I'll add it to my list of things to get! If it helps with my other cats fur I'm sold. I also have this kitty

june4 (6).jpg

Her hair is like CANDY Floss it's super fine and the regular brushes and stuff I have aren't getting all the matts!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For my cats (all Persians) I ONLY use a greyhound style comb. If your new baby has what we call cotton candy coat which seems to tangle and mat if you look at it, I would suggest strongly that you get the kitten used to regular baths. It will help keep matting coat at bay. A brush will do nothing for a Persian coat since it doesn't get deep enough into the fur to remove dead coat and tangles. If you use a brush only, the coat may look fine on top, but felt underneath. If I may make a suggestion, comb every day, even if the cat doesn't need it to keep her, him accustomed to it. Handle the feet too so it isn't a struggle to clip the nails when time. If you have any other questions I can help with, just PM me. Always happy to help a fellow Persian cat fan!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AngelicGarrison

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For my cats (all Persians) I ONLY use a greyhound style comb. If your new baby has what we call cotton candy coat which seems to tangle and mat if you look at it, I would suggest strongly that you get the kitten used to regular baths. It will help keep matting coat at bay. A brush will do nothing for a Persian coat since it doesn't get deep enough into the fur to remove dead coat and tangles. If you use a brush only, the coat may look fine on top, but felt underneath. If I may make a suggestion, comb every day, even if the cat doesn't need it to keep her, him accustomed to it. Handle the feet too so it isn't a struggle to clip the nails when time. If you have any other questions I can help with, just PM me. Always happy to help a fellow Persian cat fan!
Thank you so much! I'll start combing my other two daily too because I think it's a good thing for all of the long ones.

I'm so excited to own a Persian cat as I've wanted one for so long. I already know about cleaning his eyes and stuff it was just the brushing I couldn't figure out. When I was a kid my mom used a long dog comb on our kitty and she got weekly baths. It really seemed to help her fur stay nice and she didn't mind it at all.