Grooming Tips For A Long Hair

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all -

I am totally new here so I am not sure of the "protocol" for posting what is likely a repeat question, so I apologize if I shouldn't :p

I have been a cat owner my entire life, but I recently got a new kitten and he is the first DLH I have ever owned, all my others have been DSH. So I am a little lost on what grooming him actually entails (beyond basic brushing of the coat). As of now he is 9 weeks old and hasn't been shedding. I was thinking about upgrading my Furminator but aside from that, I am not sure what else to get. My top priority is to keep him free of mats, though I would also like to keep his coat looking A+.

Budget suggestions would be great, but I don't have an issue with spending a little more if I know it is worth it. Any tips are appreciated and welcomed!

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really brushing is the key. Invest in a really good deshedding brush for the times he is blowing his coat and it will help prevent hair from getting everywhere. Pay attention to his sides and the legs and any areas that are prone to matting. You can even give monthly baths if wanted but you'll want to start him young for that lol. A furminator I've heard is good but shouldn't be over used because it can damage his undercoat. I've never actually used one though, and a air purifier maybe if the floating hair in the house ever gets bad.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Please don't feel the need to apologize we are here to help and support all members, new and old.
Most of my cats have been long haired and I absolutely love the stainless steel Greyhound comb. Here's a link for you:

I would strongly suggest you start using whatever grooming tool you choose while your kitten is young so that he gets accustomed to it. My present Persian guy was an adult and had never been groomed in his life so when I first started to comb him he was not a happy camper. :wink: Best of luck with your kitten, what's his name?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A comb is better than a brush for longhair cats. A brush doesn't get all the way through the fur to any mats out. Try the Greyhound comb neely neely suggested, or something similar. Just make sure it's metal and not plastic. Metal will glide through the fur more easily and not create static.

FourCuteCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cats are all shorthaired, but i still need to brush them, of course! i once watched this video that showed a way to make a comb for pets that worked amazingly well, and it is metal. it'll save you a bit of money, too. i can link the video because i can't really describe perfectly how it's made, but i'll still try. also, i've never heard of the furminator and i'm not sure how it's harmful to the undercoat, but if this comb is the same way then obviously you shouldn't use it yourself and you should probably let me know, lol.
the video was meant for rabbits - i have a rabbit myself - but you can probably use this brush on any furry pets. all you need is a flea comb with two rows of teeth, a thick rubber band, and scissors. you just have to cut the rubber band and weave it through the comb's teeth. with mine i pulled it between the first and second, and from there weaved it through every 6th or 7th pair of teeth.
let me know if you need the video, i suppose - i'll have to dig it up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the tips!

I was thinking about getting him used to baths, I had to bathe my previous girl on a semi-regular basis (she had health problems and couldn't always make it to the litter pan in time) and I loved how nice her coat got. Is there a specific type of shampoo I should get for him as a kitten or will any work?

Once I finish typing this out I am going to look at the Greyhound comb you suggested :biggrin: I think the consensus is to invest in a good comb for him!

FourCuteCats FourCuteCats , if you are able to dig up the video I would like to give it a watch, but don't go out of your way just trying to find it for me :tongue: and neely neely his name is Dillon :loveeyes:

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FourCuteCats FourCuteCats thanks for the video! It's something I'm going to look into :)

To be honest, I am not 100% sure how exactly the Furminator works :confused: someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I think the Furminator uses some kind of a blade...

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bathing would be a good idea. Comb the kitten with a greyhound comb completely before bathing. A furminator removes the undercoat so I never use it on my Persians.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
FourCuteCats FourCuteCats thanks for the video! It's something I'm going to look into :)

To be honest, I am not 100% sure how exactly the Furminator works :confused: someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I think the Furminator uses some kind of a blade...
The Furminator does have a blade at the base of its comb so it is actually clipping out some fur as you comb. This greatly reduces the amount of shedding you have and I have found it also cuts out little mats that I can barely feel and might have missed. My cat has matting issues at the base of her tail and when I use the Furminator in this area her fur gets quite a bit thinner there. Where it would be really useful on your long hair would be her back end, which can easily get pee and poop matted.

I have had a couple long hairs and it is an entirely different grooming commitment than a short hair because you need to do it often and you need them to cooperate.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have five longhairs and five shorthairs, and I'll agree 100% with GoldyCat's initial statement that a comb is best for keeping mats at bay, though I use a simple plastic comb because it will flex more easily, and won't yank a clump out if it encounters one (cats have extremely thin, sensitive skin). I spend less than five minutes per day, per cat, and they stay mat free (though I do use a brush after combing now and again, more for looks than for any other reason).

I bought a Furminator when they came out, and in watching its action closely, immediately tossed it into the trash bin - it will, as PosiePurrs implies - shave the undercoat about mid-length, and that's a good recipe for mat formation in longhaired cats.

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like I am going to have to use some trial and error to find out what works best with little Dillon. Based on most of the info, I am going to avoid the Furminator unless it's really necessary.

I was looking on Amazon for the Greyhound comb and I'll probably grab a brush as well...for aesthetics :biggrin:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was looking on Amazon for the Greyhound comb and I'll probably grab a brush as well...for aesthetics :biggrin:
Great! :thumbsup: Please let us know how it works out for your kitten, (and you too).