Grooming my cat

Carpediem

Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets…
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all. I hope everyone and their furbabes are doing well. My furbabe is 7 years old a tabby named Lola. I have had issues with her since I adopted her at barely 3 months with grooming. Back then I started suffering from chronic pain and when she’d make a fuss I would just give up. I was diagnosed with allergic asthma years ago and it’s been the worse this year. She has ruined furniture, sheds a lot, can not have her nails cut, jumps at the sight of water 😂let alone wiping her down to get the hair and allergens off of her. It’s become increasingly difficult to take care of her. I’ve been sick for 2 months and had a hospitalization a month ago I still haven’t fully recovered from. Now before anyone asks I don’t have support from anyone. No family, my friends are few and in other states. Her lack of grooming is becoming an issue because I’m severely allergic to dust. I’ve had trouble w cleaning lately as well. The fact that she won’t let me groom her is making it difficult for me to bond and even lie down with her. She needs me and I need/love her. Can I ask if any of you have had issues similar to this? I can’t afford a groomer. Taking her to the vet to get her distemper shot and an exam. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of bringing this up with her vet. I just started taking her in again this year it’s been difficult to even take her to the vet due to my allergies and chronic pain. I’m figuring it out. Someone mentioned to me that maybe I should ask the vet to prescribe something only for the purpose of grooming her, to sedate her some and ease the anxiety. She won’t use a scratching post and attacks the couch 😂I’m trying to give Lola the best care that I can and sometimes I feel like I’m not doing enough and she’s suffering because of it. Here’s an idea of my living situation. Taking my landlord to housing court, suing him, constant mold in my bathroom, shoddy repairs and this adds to everything. I live in a prewar building and have high ceilings. The dust here is horrible even with an air purifier in living room and my bedroom. I’m sorry if I’m ranting but I’ve had a horrible week of allergies/asthma/pain. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏽💜🤓

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Co-signed. Sassy can get a bit overwhelmed with brushing after a while but I can pet her with the grooming glove seemingly indefinitely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carpediem

Kitten
Purraise
How about trying a grooming glove? You basically just pet them and it helps groom them.

View attachment 403185
I’ve tried everything. And I hate having to hold her by the nape of the neck. She struggles and scratches. When I see the vet I’m 2 weeks I will let him know what’s going on. Thanks for the reply and suggestion!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carpediem

Kitten
Purraise
Co-signed. Sassy can get a bit overwhelmed with brushing after a while but I can pet her with the grooming glove seemingly indefinitely.
She’s still skittish. I am going to bring it up with the vet at her next visit. Thanks!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If she sheds excessively and has a lot of dander too it might be because of her diet. What do you feed her? Is she on dry or canned?

I have had the same problem getting my cats to let me groom them. Sometimes it's just a case of finding the right brush for the right cat. Does she enjoy being petted or is that too much for her as well?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you received injections for your allergies? They last a lot longer and do better. If you have cut back on your cleaning and have mold problems, THAT could be a big culprit there too. If the mold is on hard surfaces such as walls or floors, etc. get some spray specifically made to kill mold at any store or spray with a solution of weak bleach water. that will kill the mold so it doesn't release spores. Close the door until it dries so it doesn't hurt your cat. Air purifiers are great, but make sure you clean the filters often. The next time you bring your cat to the vet, ask them to trim her claws. Mine always does this and trims my cat's rear end too, they are much easier to handle at the vet's when they are scared. Try the glove, it does work, and maybe you could spray it once in a while with an oatmeal-based skin spray for cats. It would help her skin. I wouldn't bathe her anymore. It is way too stressful for most cats, who are self-cleaning anyway, and it dries out the skin which in turn produces more dander. Also, you could try a Benadryl tab at bedtime, it helps with allergies and helps you sleep too! all the luck!

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a self grooming arch? The cat rubs themself against the arch as desired (Delilah uses it all the time). I don't brush her as much since she uses it.

Funny thing too - if I hold the brush she will rub against it instead of me brushing her.