Grooming medium haired cat

SpaceLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I need advice on what kind of tools and brushes to use on my medium haired cat. She has super fine hair that’s pretty slick down her back but super fluffy on her belly and the slicker brushes that we use on our short haired cats just doesn’t seem to be getting all the way down to her skin especially on her belly and sides. Any advice is appreciate because I’m totally lost having only had short haired cats up to this point.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a ball-tipped wire brush for daily brushing for my Meep; she's "medium-haired". She like that a lot, but it doesn't really do the whole job. About once every two weeks, I have to give her a Furminator session, which she doesn't like as much, but it gets a lot of the fluff out. Actually, all the cats get the Furminator at the same time. It's sort of 'Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.'

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get a good stainless steel Greyhound comb.
It has two types of teeth, one side closer together than the other.
Very good for getting through longer hair. Most breeders and groomers will use this kind of comb for longer hair cats prone to matting.
Sometimes wire brushes are not well tolerated as they can be harsh on a cats delicate, thin skin.
I have 2 long hair cats and use the Greyhound comb mostly along with a dematting tool (the "blades" have rounded edges so they should be well tolerated).
Furminators are great but for some types of coats too harsh and can ruin the look (Maine Coons especially) so I tend not to use it.
A regular brush of any type will not do the job. It can't get deep enough into the coat.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Get a good stainless steel Greyhound comb.
:yeah: I couldn't agree more! A breeder on the site recommended this awhile ago and it has been the best grooming tool for our medium - long haired cat(s) I have ever used.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh...... I dont think so! Greg and Arnold are just long hair domestics.

Oh I know they are domestics :D It's easy to tell for me but truly their coats are way longer and dense than my Maine Coon's is.
My domestic longhair, is close and the MC is fluffy but nothing like your two.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I know they are domestics :D It's easy to tell for me but truly their coats are way longer and dense than my Maine Coon's is.
My domestic longhair, is close and the MC is fluffy but nothing like your two.
Those pictures were taken with their summer coat!

We are approaching winter and the cats have stopped shedding and are getting thicker fur again. Lol

I love their fur, but is a fair bit of work and they do need our help.

20191230_145236-1.jpg