Grooming Long Haired Cats

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am wondering about long haired cats and all their shedding. We hand raised a litter of 4, 3 of which are long haired, and 2 of those are super long haired. They are outside cats, but always come to the house and until a month ago, we let them in. They are like clockwork, showing up at the door at about 7:15 am. Now we only allow them in the garage, due to all the hair. There is hair everywhere and it was floating around and getting in our food. We ordered a Dakpet comb and it helps some. Obviously they love to be held and are a part of the family, but we are just covered in hair after. And as the cook in this house, I hardly dare hold them unless I go change after. Any suggestions? They are big healthy cats!

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's one of the things we deal with with long hair cats. This time of year they are shedding the winter coat. I comb Theodore twice a day to help and just continuous cleaning of floors and carpets. He also gets a bath about once a month. I wouldn't try a bath if they have never been bathed. Theo has been since he was 2 weeks old. But, that helps in my case.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A zoomgroom brush can help a lot as well, and removable covers on furniture.

I can take my hand and wipe down the front of my shirt and just lift off scads of hair lately lol. I've even seen a hair or two in the freezer and in my water glass. It's just a part of living with them.

You can utilize lint rollers, or one of these
FurzOff

or even just rubber gloves :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. We will keep brushing, but no baths! Although the one cat loves water. He will try to figure out where the sound is from and I have had a flying kitty land beside me as I was doing dishes. He loves to play in it when he has a chance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ha and we all know cats. Can't convince them to like water, but since Freddy decided to like it, he just does. He will climb into our big sink, sit there, and everyone enjoys watching him bat at the thin stream of water. Guess he never had a mom to tell him that cats don't like it or that they should keep their paws dry.