Grooming/in Heat 2pt Question

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats. Jade (mama) and Sparky (offspring). Jade is 2 days post spay. When we got her back from the clinic, they informed me she is in heat. (Sparky is fixed and Jade is staying indoors for the next at least 8 days while she heals so some Tom doesn't hurt her) first part of my question is will being spayed effect how long she is in heat? Her last cycle right before she got fixed was only 3 or 4 days.
Second part. She was a barn cat before we got her, and as such was and has been very independent and aloof, requiring very little from us beyond making sure she had food/water in her bowl. Since she has come home she has been more clingy, coming to us for attention and affection. She has started sleeping in our bed, and tonight we noticed she was grooming sparky (much to his delight as he is glad to soak up all the attention she doesn't want from us or anyone else). Is this just because she is recovering from surgery or should we expect her to continue to be more needy and affectionate?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spayed cats no longer go into heat. Since she was in heat when spayed, it could take a while for the hormones to go down. Maybe you'll see signs of reduced hormones right away, maybe it'll take a couple weeks.

It's hard to say why she's being more affectionate, or whether she'll stay that way. It depends on a lot of factors.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I spayed all female kittens early and only have neutered boys, I may not be much help.

I will say our semi-feral kitten we found hungry at 4-6 months old was a wild tom. Then around 7 years old he got his first vet visit and was neutered. Since then he has been much more affectionate and way less aggressive to his humans. He still gets into (less) cat fights but he is dialed down by at least 50% on being aggressive to other cats. So from barn cat or reformed feral she should hopefully mellow out but still be more open to affection from her humans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I think it's 2 weeks post op. Her incision is well healed, and her heat cycle only lasted a few more days. She still loves going outside and was very excited to go out for the first time. She has also still been more affectionate then before surgery, but less then right after. She will still groom Sparky on occasion, and still sleeps in our bed for at least a portion of the night. During the day they have taken to alternate sleeping in a random box. One specific box, with no alternates or substitutions.