grooming and other questions

catmom921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just starting here on the cat site. was wondering a few things.
1. ive started only feeding my 2yo male cat 1/3 cup of food a day cuz everytime i walks downstairs he bolts to his dish meowing for food. i feed him IAMS indoor cat urinary-tract health food. hes had iams since he was a kitten. started with the orange bag (protein-chicken flavored). vet recommended indoor cat food so thats what i get. question is: how do i get him to stop jumping up to dish/"begging" for food?
2. since he was a kitten hes never really cleaned his backside well. theres always pieces of dried pooh on his bum. also usually 1, lately 2 of his nostrils always has dried dark colored boogers in them. for awhile, until just recently, his left eye is typically watery too. he never shows any signs of pain anywhere he always lets us pet him and touch his face. he doesnt like when we try and clean his nose/bum tho.
hes due for his 3yr shots, i plan on asking the vet but im still interested in what others on here have to say! thanks in advance!

im also aware that the poor grooming can very well b from getting taken away from mama cat too soon.. my cat (named jack) came with two sisters (not mine) the owners are my girlfriends and neither of the two girl cats have dirty bums like jack..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, is he overweight? Are you feeding him less than you were?
he isnt overweight but his belly does hang down a little. he has a little belly pouch where his fur is soft XD (dont all cats have this pouch tho..?) we used to leave some food in his dish so he could graze throughout the day now its 1/3-1/2 cup a day bc we noticed his little belly. he started emptying his dish sooner in the day and especially around when cat #2 arrived hed started running to his dish.
maybe cat #2 ate all his food one day and ever since then hes just wanted his dish to b full...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
typing this today gave me the idea to maybe start feeding jack upstairs in the bedroom apart from cat #2. just a small dish that he knws will always be available for him to eat. cat #2 doesnt come in our room nearly ever cuz hes not our cat...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he isnt overweight but his belly does hang down a little. he has a little belly pouch where his fur is soft XD (dont all cats have this pouch tho..?)
That is called a primordial pouch and most all cats - even thinner ones - have it. So, it is not a good indicator of determining whether a cat is overweight. Below is a cat body condition chart that maybe you could use to assess his weight/size. Note, that sadly it doesn't depict the primordial pouch, which I think they all should.
maybe start feeding jack upstairs in the bedroom apart from cat #2. just a small dish that he knws will always be available for him to eat. cat #2 doesnt come in our room nearly ever cuz hes not our cat.
Good idea!
Body-Condition-Feline-Chart.jpg