Grooming a shorthair

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,

Had Nalah for several years now and her shedding has gotten a lot. My family keep complaining that her shedded fur just covers their clothes even if she just walks past.

I've tried brushing but she just doesn't sit still. My mum is considering bathing her but not sure if that works or is the right thing to do since we have a shower. I think she's mostly a shorthaired cat but maybe she might be more of a mediumhaired cat. Her fur just is so long and thick as well and because she's mostly white, it shows up a lot.

Should I find a groomer for her because her shedding has become soooo bad in the last few months. I get it that it's getting warmer but she sheds a lot all year round. Just sitting on the sofa for a few moments leaves you with clumps of white and black fur.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Shedding comes from the undercoat, so even shorthaired cats can shed a lot, especially this time of year. What I would suggest is, instead of trying to have her sit for one long grooming session, break it up into several, shorter grooming sessions. Even if it’s just a minute at a time, that adds up over the course of the day. You may have to try out different types of brushes until you find one that she likes. There are even grooming gloves that you can try, that you just pet her with. She may tolerate that more than a standard brush. After a grooming session, reward her with a treat, so that she can associate grooming with a positive experience.

There are “grooming tunnels” for cats, the idea behind them is that cats walk through the tunnel and it catches any loose hair. I tried one for Charlie and he never used it, but you might have a better experience.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also try a comb rather than a brush. A "greyhound" style comb is good for many cats.

Bathing tends to loosen up the hair... my cats shed more after a bath.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there is a silicone glove type brush that i bought from petsmart it works really good gets all the loose hair. at the same time warmer weather is here now so its normal for them to shed off their winter coat. maybe you can vacuum the entire house all the furniture etc, every day if you have the time would be lot less hair then floating around then alsovaccume your cats favorite sleeping places really good to lint roll them also

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is this cat, and what kind of a diet does she eat? Sometimes excessive shedding is a sign of a nutritional deficiency - which tends to happen more with older cats than younger cats since their entire system doesn't work as efficiently as the age, just like humans. Canned foods are better than dry food - the moisture aides in skin/fur health. And, an omega-3 supplement might help as it tends to improve the condition of a cat's skin and fur.

If this cat doesn't care for being brushed, she will hate a bath. Most cats unless they get dirty by going outside don't need baths - and the bathing itself can tend to dry out the skin/fur, provoking more shedding and even causes other skin issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. How old is this cat, and what kind of a diet does she eat? Sometimes excessive shedding is a sign of a nutritional deficiency - which tends to happen more with older cats than younger cats since their entire system doesn't work as efficiently as the age, just like humans. Canned foods are better than dry food - the moisture aides in skin/fur health. And, an omega-3 supplement might help as it tends to improve the condition of a cat's skin and fur.

If this cat doesn't care for being brushed, she will hate a bath. Most cats unless they get dirty by going outside don't need baths - and the bathing itself can tend to dry out the skin/fur, provoking more shedding and even causes other skin issues.
She's 3 and on both canned and dry food. Her coat has been looking a little lacklustre so might give her a supplement anyway.

That's what I thought regarding bathing. I've only had to bathe her once during her teenagehood and that wasn't pretty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLoverOnWheels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
there is a silicone glove type brush that i bought from petsmart it works really good gets all the loose hair. at the same time warmer weather is here now so its normal for them to shed off their winter coat. maybe you can vacuum the entire house all the furniture etc, every day if you have the time would be lot less hair then floating around then alsovaccume your cats favorite sleeping places really good to lint roll them also
Thanks! Will consider a glove rather than a brush

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can try giving a very special treat after brushing -- I give mine the greenies salmon skin&fur ones after each ~30 seconds of brushing. She loves them. She sits patiently drooling while I brush her. Also, the type of strokes can make a difference in tolerance -- I do tiny strokes (2-3 inches). If I do longer strokes she gets antsy and stands up/walks away.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Will consider a glove rather than a brush
graycie didnt like being brushed either still doesnt .what i did was just start with her cheeks at first then gradually ran the brush down her back and then sides sides so gradually she associated the brushing with a good feeling and treats after the brushing :lol:still cant get her belly unless she is asleep though.i also just noticed the on wheels part in your name wheels as in wheel chair wheels?i am a part time chair user also(when gf shops)if you are sorry about the cleaning the house bit in my first post it doesnt apply i know about being differently abled myself