Grinds and supplements

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi friends :wave3:
We usually have fed our cats mostly chunks with some grinds thrown in there. Some of our cats are getting older and are slower to chew, and despite our efforts, the younger ones try or succeed in stealing food. The older cats get worried about this and sometimes try to run with their food somewhere else. Frankly, I'm worried someone will try to swallow something too big and choke, we we've been tossing around the idea of feeding mostly grinds to the older cats for their meals, and keeping their mid-day snack in chunk form.
We know that ground foods usually require supplements, but everything I read about Alnutrin or the others has a recipe that includes chicken, chicken heart, and chicken liver and nothing else.
We feed variety, and at our last inventory we have these in our freezer (all ground):
Bone inclusive:
Whole ground chicken carcass (no feathers)
Whole ground rabbit (no fur. Our suppliers leave the thyroid gland.)
Whole ground duck (no feathers).
Whole ground pork (fed occasionally, they're not big fans.)
Whole ground turkey
Whole sardines (sparingly)

Boneless:
Chicken breast
turkey breast
Turkey thigh
Elk
Bison
Beef
rabbit
chicken hearts
turkey hearts
beef heart
beef tripe

Organs we feed:
Chicken liver
Beef liver
Turkey liver
Beef kidney
Beef pancreas
Beef spleen

We do have a few cats that don't do well with beef, but the beef organs fed in such small amounts don't seem to cause a problem.

They also get egg yolks, home fermented yogurt, pumpkin on occasion (very festive this time of year), and goat milk or cream.
This variety is all fed within 3-4 weeks assuming our suppliers can come through.

Our concern is that by supplementing with alnutrin or the recipe to "make your own" would be too much of a good thing, since the recipe for using alnutrin is so precise and doesn't have a lot of variety. Our cats are good, not picky eaters.
I would assume that a very varied diet fed in a ground form would need fish oil, taurine, maybe some vitamin E, but I could be wrong. We want to keep them healthy, but want to keep up their variety but don't want to over supplement. If you have ideas on what we should do, we'd love to hear them.

Thanks gang :hellocomputer:

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
I use Alnutrin in my whole carcass ground rabbit, and Alnutrin with eggshell calcium with boneless ground turkey with ground turkey organs, as well as ground chicken with chicken organs.
I think the Alnutrin can be used with a variety of meats, I just figured it’s just a matter of using the correct amounts of the supplement and meat-organ ratios.

You could email the maker of Alnutrin to check on this, just to be sure. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
I use Alnutrin in my whole carcass ground rabbit, and Alnutrin with eggshell calcium with boneless ground turkey with ground turkey organs, as well as ground chicken with chicken organs.
I think the Alnutrin can be used with a variety of meats, I just figured it’s just a matter of using the correct amounts of the supplement and meat-organ ratios.

You could email the maker of Alnutrin to check on this, just to be sure. :thumbsup:
We might do that just to be safe, we don't want to over do anything in the vitamin/mineral department.
Thank you for your input, my friend :hellocomputer:

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We might do that just to be safe, we don't want to over do anything in the vitamin/mineral department.
Thank you for your input, my friend :hellocomputer:
Sorry for a very late follow up after your original post date, but did you get an answer from Alnutrin? I’m very curious as to what they said as I’ve used their supplement for ground rabbit, ground turkey, and ground chicken.