Grieving a Pet: How To Overcome The Sadness

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. It helps to know that explaining that grief is so personal and bewildering lets those who grieve understand that it can be different for everyone. You, yourself, are the healer of your soul, and it can be a long, difficult road to travel.....

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are all great tips on how to try to cope with the loss, very good advice and all very true, especially the roller coaster of emotions that will hit you. I remember after Sebastian died in my arms when I came home from work 5 years ago how it hit me hard right then, then I felt somewhat numb for a bit only to have it come back hard. I remember one night Deb ran into a store, I stayed in the car, I thought I was fine but all of a sudden it was like someone put a video of that horrible episode in my head and pressed "play", I couldn't stop it from happening and just started to cry. I guess that was my mind's way of trying to work things out.

It was after that that my friend who works in a health food store told me that she had great success with Holy Basil, an herb that helps you deal with the stress, you know it is still there but you can deal with it better. And the homeopathic under the tongue pill Ignatia Amara, this one really helps you cope with the grief and loss and sadness and they don't numb you like drugs do they HELP you adapt and cope to the stress. I still use them to this day as needed and they really do help.

I have also said it before but even though I know all these "tips" and have witnessed cat death 6 times I absolutely dread the day when I lose Sylvester, but I know that I must face it one day....but nothing I do helps me ready myself for it, I guess that I will just have to deal with it head on like I did the others but this one I know will be extra rough, hopefully that is years down the line but one never knows? Heck, I could go before him, we don't know....we just do the best that we can each day, one day at a time. :rbheart: