Grief

Ezavora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few weeks ago I lost mu cat Lucy. She was only 4 years old. We knew she had a heart murmur and did what we could to help it. The day before she passed she threw up but we didnt think anything major. The next day she was just off so i took her to the vet.

We got told she was in congestive heart failure and had fluid in her lungs. We had the option to put her on meds to help the fluid which we chose to do. When we brought her home she just continued to decline. She ended up getting a blood clot that paralyzed her hind legs. We then decided to put her to rest.

I still can't believe it got so bad. I just have a ton of pain thinking I could have prevented this or have helped her in any way. My heart is broken thinking of her being paralyzed and i know she is at rest and no longer in pain but my heart is broken.

Has anyone else experienced a cat with heart failure? Did you have any warning signs?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss and the pain you are feeling right now. No words of mine can comfort you, but at least you have to know we are all here for you.

Please be strong. Find comfort in all those happy memories you had with Lucy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The warning signs of CHF in cats are very subtle, and cats are so good at hiding any sign of distress. A cough is often the first warning sign and is often mistaken for hairballs or asthma. A simple x-ray is often used to diagnose the problem (the heart is enlarged with its increased load of trying to pump blood against the increased pressure of the fluid surrounding it) but is seldom given to young healthy appearing cats. They may also seem tired, more so than usual, and do not play near as much. Many cats have heart murmurs and often live normal lives with them, but murmurs found in a young cat often signal a condition they were born with a congenital heart problem and are more serious. I think this is what was so with your little one. I truly believe there was nothing you could have done to foresee this or prevent it. In fact, being in your loving care more than likely gave Lucy more years than she would have had without care and being loved. Lucy more than likely would have continued to have suffering and pain in her future, at the very least a drastic downturn in her enjoyment of life. You could do no more than you already did. You brought her in and tried to save her......
Try to focus on her beautiful life and the 4 good years you had with her. Dwelling on her end only brings pain and suffering and she would never want that for someone she loves so much. Cats live in the present. They don't worry about the future or reminisce about the past. Like all animals, they are intent on surviving and getting the most out of every minute they are alive. She had you through this horrible time, and for her that was everything. She has your love in her soul and is at peace. Time is the only thing that helps us put our thoughts and lives back into order, to work through all these should haves, could haves, and strive to learn from what occurred in the past to help us in the future and get a new perspective on life. Life is fragile. It can end in a second and with no warning. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, and living is or should be, getting the most out of every minute we are here.
For your sweet Lucy, her short time on this earth filled your lives and your hearts with joy and love and the simple pleasures that come with knowing she was happy too. There will be a huge hole in your world for a long time, but eventually, your soul will find enough peace to work on filling that vacuum that was created with her leaving with more love that will reside right next to hers, building it up to be even stronger and more treasured. Life demands we go forward, treasuring our past and learning from it, but seeking out all the beauty and pleasure life has to offer. To live as we would want for them if we were the first to go.
So grieve and let your pain be washed away with your tears. There will be sunrise after the dark, lonely night, there always is. The world goes on, it is a constant in the short time we share it. Embrace life, and make others happy to be in your world too. You made that little girl happy, and she loves you, she will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. The bond of love is so very strong. not even death can break it. Her new path will always be nearby.
My heart goes out to you. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, you will be blessed for loving so much.....RIP dear Lucy. You will be dearly missed, you will forever have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I know it's easier said than done, but please try to not beat yourself up with the 'what if's'. There often aren't any signs of distress and even if we know what the problem is, sometimes there just isn't much we can do.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious Lucy. She was a lucky kitty to have been so well cared for and so loved. Rest in peace, little girl. :rbheart:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, you did all that you could and did the right albeit most difficult thing to do, to put her out of her misery, I am so sorry that it had to come to this but sometimes it does, and we always feel that we should've seen something earlier but that is the grief talking, most times by the time we realize something is amiss it is too late. But you did what she needed and she knows that, and you will see each other someday down the line and she will thank you for it.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ezavora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The warning signs of CHF in cats are very subtle, and cats are so good at hiding any sign of distress. A cough is often the first warning sign and is often mistaken for hairballs or asthma. A simple x-ray is often used to diagnose the problem (the heart is enlarged with its increased load of trying to pump blood against the increased pressure of the fluid surrounding it) but is seldom given to young healthy appearing cats. They may also seem tired, more so than usual, and do not play near as much. Many cats have heart murmurs and often live normal lives with them, but murmurs found in a young cat often signal a condition they were born with a congenital heart problem and are more serious. I think this is what was so with your little one. I truly believe there was nothing you could have done to foresee this or prevent it. In fact, being in your loving care more than likely gave Lucy more years than she would have had without care and being loved. Lucy more than likely would have continued to have suffering and pain in her future, at the very least a drastic downturn in her enjoyment of life. You could do no more than you already did. You brought her in and tried to save her......
Try to focus on her beautiful life and the 4 good years you had with her. Dwelling on her end only brings pain and suffering and she would never want that for someone she loves so much. Cats live in the present. They don't worry about the future or reminisce about the past. Like all animals, they are intent on surviving and getting the most out of every minute they are alive. She had you through this horrible time, and for her that was everything. She has your love in her soul and is at peace. Time is the only thing that helps us put our thoughts and lives back into order, to work through all these should haves, could haves, and strive to learn from what occurred in the past to help us in the future and get a new perspective on life. Life is fragile. It can end in a second and with no warning. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, and living is or should be, getting the most out of every minute we are here.
For your sweet Lucy, her short time on this earth filled your lives and your hearts with joy and love and the simple pleasures that come with knowing she was happy too. There will be a huge hole in your world for a long time, but eventually, your soul will find enough peace to work on filling that vacuum that was created with her leaving with more love that will reside right next to hers, building it up to be even stronger and more treasured. Life demands we go forward, treasuring our past and learning from it, but seeking out all the beauty and pleasure life has to offer. To live as we would want for them if we were the first to go.
So grieve and let your pain be washed away with your tears. There will be sunrise after the dark, lonely night, there always is. The world goes on, it is a constant in the short time we share it. Embrace life, and make others happy to be in your world too. You made that little girl happy, and she loves you, she will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. The bond of love is so very strong. not even death can break it. Her new path will always be nearby.
My heart goes out to you. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, you will be blessed for loving so much.....RIP dear Lucy. You will be dearly missed, you will forever have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

I honestly cant thank you enough for your reply. I've read it a few times and it's made me feel a ton better

Ezavora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss and the pain you are feeling right now. No words of mine can comfort you, but at least you have to know we are all here for you.

Please be strong. Find comfort in all those happy memories you had with Lucy.

Thank you very much

Ezavora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss, you did all that you could and did the right albeit most difficult thing to do, to put her out of her misery, I am so sorry that it had to come to this but sometimes it does, and we always feel that we should've seen something earlier but that is the grief talking, most times by the time we realize something is amiss it is too late. But you did what she needed and she knows that, and you will see each other someday down the line and she will thank you for it.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Thank you so much for your kind words