Grey is giving birth right now!!!!!

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I woke up just now to find Grey had had two kittens JUST NOW!!!  One is VERY deformed (died and st oped growing weeks ago!!!).  The other is live and looks great (to soon to tell what it looks like as she has just eaten placenta and is licking it.  Another is just starting to come out (I can see the bag just starting to come out).

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww shame about the deformed one :/ Hope the others come out all healthy and well :) *has fingers crossed*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, we have four healthy kittens.  Three Grey ones, look like momma and one Grey and white one.  They are all different sizes, with each one a little bigger than the next, LOL!  I am not able to weigh them because Grey will NOT allow me to pick them up at all.  I tried today and she took the kitten from me right away :(  I can touch them, but not pick up or move them without her getting VERY upset.  Oreo has become momma number 2!!  I am having trouble keeping her out of the kitten bed because she wants to care for them.  Grey is allowing Oreo to even lay with her in the kitten bed (NOT enough room).  Oreo ends up sleeping next to it on the floor and licking the kittens from that spot while Grey is in nursing them.  Aidan (my six year old) has named them Smoke, Ash, Cement and Smile (g/w). 

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Toooo precious! And loove the names, tell Aidan I said good job! As well as momma Grey! Sorry about the deformed one (i've been through a birth with a deformity too, is not pleasant to experience and sad) but so happy the rest are happy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was sad, but it was not formed normal.  It was the same size as the others, but the head had no eyes, mouth, nose or ears (just a smooth lump) and the legs were just stubs with nails with no fur at all.  It was CLEARLY not a genetically viable kitten; for this reason I am SOOOOO happy it was not born live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I am not able to weigh them because Grey will NOT allow me to pick them up at all.  I tried today and she took the kitten from me right away :(  I can touch them, but not pick up or move them without her getting VERY upset
If she is very upset, better to let it be.   It IS important to weigh them, esp if they are uneven and someone is small, more or less underweigh from the beginning, but we dont want to stress the mom either.

The usual trick is to do everything right before her, so she sees and hears you and her kitten the whole time, while you are weighting it. Do it rather quickly; not so quick she would be scared by the movements, or you risk to become careless, but so quickly a 10 seconds will be enough.

If the scale is of metall, cover it with some cloth, so the kittens wont complain because of  the cold metall. Ah, cover it anyway...

(make some test weighting so you know exactly how much this covering weights).

Good luck!

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also good to bribe mum with a nice meaty treat, then she comes to learn that if you let her do it she gets a reward after :) She might calm down anyways, it takes three days for the preggo hormones to settle down.