Grey cat

ChristineGae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I recently adopted a ~6 month old kitten from a family who has no info or vet information on the kitty. My boy’s name is Pechin. I went to the vet today and the nurse told me my cat wasn’t a Russian blue because he didn’t have blue eyes (??).
Pechin is a super handsome boy and I’m not really worried about what he is, but I have a parent with bad allergies and I’ve heard Russian blues are slightly more hypoallergenic, so I’m hoping he might be Russian. Pechin has bright green eyes, bullseye patterns along the sides of his body, ringed stripes like a raccoon down his tail, an upturned mouth that makes him look smiley, pinkish/purplish paws, a tail that’s a bit thicker at the base, a big grey nose, and short hair. I’ll post a few photos of him, but from what I’m reading a classic bullseye pattern would be indicative of a tabby background (however, these markings disappear as the kitty matures?).

Hoping to get some insight from some kitty experts so I can make my dad feel better about meeting my cat :) Also, if anyone has any tips about combatting kitty allergies, I’d love to hear it. Thank you guys!

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
He’s a lovely blue domestic shorthair with classic tabby ghosting. The vast majority of cats aren’t of a breed or any mix of breeds. If you didn’t get your kitty from a breeder, with papers, he’s almost definitely has no (recent) ancestry. Even so, it doesn’t make him any less special :) He’s a very cute boy!

Sadly, hypoallergenic cats are a bit of a myth. Every person with an allergy will react to any given cat differently, as people will be allergic to different things, and cats will secrete different levels of potentially allergenic proteins.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Christine!

Even though Pechin is not a Russian blue, he is a very pretty cat. Russian blues have green eyes so I have no idea why a vet tech would tell you otherwise. The ghost tabby markings are what prove he is not a Russian blue since they can only be solid bluish gray.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He has greenish eyes yes? [on another computer I see he HAS good green eyes] If so he could surely get job as a stand in for a pet quality russian blue, english type. But the heavy money bet he is a domestic.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ghost tabby markings are what prove he is not a Russian blue since they can only be solid bluish gray.

Pet quality RBs, and even some breed/show quality RBs can have ghosting as kittens. Pet quality cats may retain ghosting into adulthood.
Indeed most blue kittens seen at shows, across various breeds & domestics will show ghosting. As said nothing to do with this kitten not being a Russian.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
On an RB save of the green eyes, is really not blue grey but sooner silver grey. RB They are always having a silvery shimmer.

btw, Korat have also a silvery shimmer, although not that visible.

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Your vet is wrong about the eye color. The CFA breed standard for Russian Blues requires vivid green eyes. No other colors are allowed in show cats. Your kitty does have some features that are similar to Russian Blue but I would say definitely not a purebred.

Without a known pedigree he’s considered a Domestic Shorthair.