Grey cat turning brown?

ZiyalCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, my cat is about to turn 1 next month, and she has always been solid grey. But recently we’ve noticed that parts of her look quite brown- it started in her ruff, then her shoulders, now it’s spread to her tail and tummy! I know cats coats can change but I thought brown was quite a rare colour? She doesn’t sit in the sun- she’s indoor only and we live in Scotland so there’s not much of it to start with. Plus during the day she usually sits next to me in my office which doesn’t have sun.

She seems otherwise fine in herself, eats drinks plays like crazy so maybe it’s just normal but I was worried it might be a nutrition thing? What do you think does her fur look normal or weird?

E054301E-C310-4085-9AF1-4B00BBCD36E1.jpeg

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't think it's anything extraordinary. Lots of black (and black variants like yours) have coats that "rust" or change to a brownish color. Usually, it's seasonal and related to sun exposure, but I suppose it can occur under other conditions. That's what it looks like has happened with your kitty.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Take that back. Maybe it's her mood lights on,lamps on, her fur is grey/bronze. I am sure your kitten will be beautiful when she turns adult. Love her fur already!

asponhei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat looks exactly like yours. He is now 3, we got him when he was 1 from a rescue. They had to shave him because he had a flea infestation so bad that was the only way to help get rid of them. I have been noticing the color difference and was thinking the exact same thing. Is this normal? She is absolutely gorgeous.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That post is over a year old, so I doubt they answer you. Some color variations like yours are normal, i have had cats with reddish areas showing through, especially in different lighting. It is not really common, so enjoy your little one's uniqueness!

Rytis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to register to say that my cat is also almost a year old, grey and started developing brown patches. I must add a photo too. It's a doppelganger :D

IMG_20230619_144809.jpg

He's from Lithuania :)