Greenies Pill Pockets

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Cricket had a UTI, I was able to easily give her the pills using Chicken Flavor pill pockets. She loved them. So I started giving her a bit just as a treat, every once in a while. I just bought a new bag from Chewy, opened it up last night, and it smelled awful, very strong, not like the other bag I was using (which basically didn't have any odor). I did just look to see if I could find any recalls, and found a lot of bad reviews on Chewys in general, about how they are making cats sick/killing them.

My question: does anyone use the pill pockets? Have you ever encountered a very strong smell from them? Have any health issues with your cats?

I've been giving mine greenie small bites for a long time, thinking them a healthier treat. Now I think I'm going to stop.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I use Greenie's pill pockets every day for my cat who needs hyperthyroid meds. I've never noticed anything wrong with the smell and she's never had any adverse reaction to them. I just bought a new bag yesterday, in fact, and didn't notice anything off about them.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed any weird smell, but the past couple of years when buying from Chewy the pill pockets I receive are more dried out and brittle. Even with expiration dates 6-12 months out. In the same timeframe, I have also ordered from Amazon and Petco with no issues and the pill pockets are oily and soft like they are supposed to be. I wonder if Chewy is not storing the product properly, which is drying them out more than normal.

My oldest has been getting pill pockets 1-2/day for almost 10 years and one of my younger for about a year, and neither have any health effects I've noticed.

If you contact Chewy, they are often really good about sending a replacement or offering a refund. It also states on the pill pocket bag, if you are not happy with the quality or product to return to the store you purchased for a refund.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed any weird smell, but the past couple of years when buying from Chewy the pill pockets I receive are more dried out and brittle. Even with expiration dates 6-12 months out. In the same timeframe, I have also ordered from Amazon and Petco with no issues and the pill pockets are oily and soft like they are supposed to be. I wonder if Chewy is not storing the product properly, which is drying them out more than normal.

My oldest has been getting pill pockets 1-2/day for almost 10 years and one of my younger for about a year, and neither have any health effects I've noticed.

If you contact Chewy, they are often really good about sending a replacement or offering a refund. It also states on the pill pocket bag, if you are not happy with the quality or product to return to the store you purchased for a refund.
Thanks for the information. I contacted chewy and they offered refund or replacement. I chose refund, and I just bought a package from Target. Definitely not as strong an order. The chewy one hit me the minute I opened the pouch. This one I had to stick my nose in the pouch to smell it. Makes me question getting anything from chewy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Greenie's pill pockets every day for my cat who needs hyperthyroid meds. I've never noticed anything wrong with the smell and she's never had any adverse reaction to them. I just bought a new bag yesterday, in fact, and didn't notice anything off about them.
The one from chewy the smell hit me the minute I tore open the package. Other packages haven't done that.