Greenies dental treats for cats

abbidixon98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, but that's a lot of negative anecdotal reporting. Since I'm not enamored with the ingredients and don't see how they really help with dental issues, I don't ever plan to feed any Greenies to Aria even though I got a free sample as well from my local pet store.
I just read a lot of bad reviews from this 2014 Feb. I bought them them before but didn't notice anything. I'll give just a few to make sure tho. Mine likes any kinds of treats, I do use crappy Friskies..but I also get good stuff too. She loves catnip but not the fresh stuff I bought yesterday so will dry it and see. Maybe it was sprayed or grown in bad stuff? Seems healthy tho.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I  have given my cats Greenies often but after reading the  July 2014 complaints I do not want to take any chances .. Maybe there is nothing wrong with the Greenies but better safe than sorry .. I am returning mine to  Petsmart ..

ar1951

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@ Miike:  "Return the Greenies because you learn from the bad experiences of other Cat Owners and you do not want to risk ANY type of a problem with the Dental Treats"!!!  Cats do not require treats.

ar1951

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I replied to this because someone was thinking about getting Greenies for their Cats; so I said: "do not" buy !

tytam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had two cats pass within the last month. They both showed symptoms of poisoning, and with both I researched my home to find nothing that would have been at fault. The only common link in the two, one 3 months of age the other 9 wks happened at seperate times, is a bag of feline greenies in catnip flavor.

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greenies are made by NUTRO company, as many others have said. I work in a pet supplies store and the only time anyone has ever returned Greenies to our store is when their dog wouldn't eat the "toothbrushes" and when someone bought a bag of cat treats that only had two treats in it and was pretty much air - clearly a packaging mistake. There could also be many factors at play here. Do your cats eat the same brand (doesn't have to be NUTRO, just the same brand in general) and flavor of food? Could it have been that? Could it be genetic issues?  I've also fed Greenies to my cats in the past and nothing happened to them.  I sympathize for all of your losses. 

catkleesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I came here hoping to get more information about Greenies and a problem my cat is having. I feel that I am no closer to the truth.

Prior to my cat being diagnosed with kidney failure, she had bad breath.

Subsequently, her kidney values wound up being slightly off a few times, and she has been switched to special food.

I am giving her Greenies hairball and digestive treats recently as rewards.

She became constipated and started throwing up. Those symptoms are also features of the kidney issue she had prior to eating the treats. 

I wanted to determine whether that was just the kidney disease worsening or whether Greenies could be linked. Chiefly, what I really want to know is whether the phosphorus level and protein level in the treats is too high or whether they do anything to decrease hydration.

This thread leaves me mystified. The thing is that in all of my reading i have learned that bad breath starts first and is followed by the kidney disease. So feeding the cats the treats for bad breath and then observing vomiting could easily be a coincidence. It could be that the cats' kidneys are are starting to fail and that the bad breath is the first sign. The pet parents run out and get greenies dental treats. Then the kidney disease takes its normal course at the same time. Or it could be that Greenies are causing it.

What I'd really like is some more definitive information. We all have to do our part for that. Greenies, you need to research whether your treats have ingredients that worsen the problem and gather some data. If you could be part of the solution, that's a feather in your cap. Consumers, you need to report these issues both to your vet and to Greenies to help them in gathering information.  

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I came here hoping to get more information about Greenies and a problem my cat is having. I feel that I am no closer to the truth.

Subsequently, her kidney values wound up being slightly off a few times, and she has been switched to special food.

I am giving her Greenies hairball and digestive treats recently as rewards.

She became constipated and started throwing up. Those symptoms are also features of the kidney issue she had prior to eating the treats. 

I wanted to determine whether that was just the kidney disease worsening or whether Greenies could be linked. Chiefly, what I really want to know is whether the phosphorus level and protein level in the treats is too high or whether they do anything to decrease hydration.

This thread leaves me mystified. The thing is that in all of my reading i have learned that bad breath starts first and is followed by the kidney disease. So feeding the cats the treats for bad breath and then observing vomiting could easily be a coincidence. It could be that the cats' kidneys are are starting to fail and that the bad breath is the first sign. The pet parents run out and get greenies dental treats. Then the kidney disease takes its normal course at the same time. Or it could be that Greenies are causing it.

What I'd really like is some more definitive information. We all have to do our part for that. Greenies, you need to research whether your treats have ingredients that worsen the problem and gather some data. If you could be part of the solution, that's a feather in your cap. Consumers, you need to report these issues both to your vet and to Greenies to help them in gathering information.  
I'm sorry to hear that your cat is having trouble. If you're unsure, stop using the Greenies with her and consult your veterinarian. Bad breath could be a sign of anything with an animal. My 7 month old kitten has bad breath as well as my 14 year old cat. It's because they do not brush their teeth. Bad breath could be caused by the plaque and tartar build up that happens since their gums are not stimulated. There are also products out there that can help with an animals bad breath and with plaque and tartar build up, such as TropiClean water additive and Clean Teeth Gel. If you would like more definitive information, you should contact your vet and contact Greenies and ask them and let them now of the situation. I hope your kitty pulls through.  :)

jeanineb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I gave my cat greenies salmon dental treats for almost a week and this morning starting at 5:30am she began vomiting white foam repeatedly until I finally gave her peptid ac and now it's been 3 hours since she stopped vomiting. Will never give them to her again it's the only new thing she has had! I hope she will continue to be ok.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

I know this particular post is a couple months old, but since someone replied and it showed up, I thought I'd point this out. Bad breath can be a symptom of kidney failure. It's a very particular type of bad breath too. In cases where that is the cause of bad breath, it means the levels of toxins are pretty high. In fact, due to the nature of kidney disease, especially chronic kidney disease (CKD), it can be there for months before being diagnosed or before the cat is symptomatic. If anyone thinks a couple of weeks of feeding treats will cause CKD, that is very unlikely. It is possible that it could make it worse, but that could be said about pretty much anything that is not designed for kidney cats. It takes a long time for it to even show up on SDMA blood results (for those that test for that), much less for symptoms to develop.

Acute renal failure is a different story, but it doesn't sound like that is the case with the poster that I quoted. But even acute renal failure is more likely to be caused by something like an infection, tumor, toxins (like lilies or antifreeze), blood clot to the kidney, or all too often, reasons unknown. it is much better to work with your vet on possible causes and treatment, rather than going on what it COULD be based on what you see online.

Kidney failure is a pretty awful disease and I understand wanting to justify it. But sometimes you just can't pinpoint a reason. It's just the crappy hand your cat got dealt in some cases.

mikebw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just adding another data point here-

I have been giving our Maine Coon the Chicken flavor greenies for many months over the last year, but over the Holidays we got him a new bag of the Salmon flavor. About 2 hours after eating a couple (4-6) of the treats he would throw up, and it seemed like a lot of vomit. Never had any issue like that from the Chicken ones, so I thought it was unlikely the Salmon Greenies were the problem. Regardless, we stopped giving them to him for a few days just in case they were and the vomiting stopped. But, the next time, and every time we tried them since he will throw up, a lot all at once, about 2 hours after.

Maybe there is some ingredient in them that makes him sick, or maybe it makes him really hungry and want to overeat, but whatever the cause- it is consistently linked to these Salmon treats.

I might go back to Chicken eventually, but at this point I am going to report it to the manufacturer and see what they say. Seems like I am not the only one whose cat has had issues with the Salmon flavor.