Green Lipped Mussel And Vitamin D

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After doing a thorough elimination diet, I have now established that Huxley reacts to both egg, and fish oil. He is starting to have dandruffs so i would really like to find a source of omega 3 and have decided to try Green Lipped Mussel as most cats tend to like it (I have heard that Krill has a string taste, please correct me if I’m wrong on this). I have also heard that if using Krill or GLM, you should add some vitamin D. Could anyone comment/confirm this? I know it can be toxic so I don’t want to mess around with it.
Thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could also use rapeseed / canola oil. Its also milder in taste than olive oil. Cocoanut oil works probably too.

Use coldpressed, organic style.

Good source for Omega 3 and vitamine E.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought about that, but according to several articles I found, plants and nuts oils are not a good source of omega 3s as they can’t process it well.
The Best Source of Omega 3 for Cats

You could also use rapeseed / canola oil. Its also milder in taste than olive oil. Cocoanut oil works probably too.

Use coldpressed, organic style.

Good source for Omega 3 and vitamine E.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since there's liver in your meat blend I wouldn't think you would need to add D to the GLM. There's still a possibility that Huxley's being allergic to fish means he might be allergic to GLM and/or Krill. Krill is a form of crustacean so you could try small bits to see if there's a reaction.

I've heard a few people say their cats won't eat GLM because of the taste But that's with anything.