"green" cat litters- What should I try next?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi hi

I am one of those people who is constantly unhappy with litters...and thus have tried them all.  Currently I am in search of the next non-clay litter to try, or retry.  For the record, I have tried multiple clay litters, but when it comes down to it I just hate the smell of the clay (it always smells dirty to me...even right out of the box) and I don't like the idea of strip mining for something for my cat to poop on.

So here's what I've tried:

Feline pine scooping:  Very light, hard to scoop, and tracked a lot.  I liked the scent control though.

Feline Fresh:  Same as above, but better with the scooping...not great but better.

WBCL Multicat:  Hated the smell.  I don't know if we had a bad bag or what, but we dumped the whole thing after 4 days of litter smell with the addition of no urine control.

Blue Buffalo Multicat:  I have been using this for a number of months.  Really like the weight, as it makes it easier to scoop.  Seems to have lost it's odor control with time.  My disinfections and dumpings seem to be closer and closer together.  Plus it's super dusty and gets in my cats coats.

Swheat Scoop:  Most recent attempt.  Strangely enough despite the reviews, we are happy with the odor control.  It's been 2 weeks now and with regular cleaning, we still aren't smelling anything in comparison to the other litters we've tried.  I dislike the sticky clumping and the tracking is driving us up the wall.

Presidents Choice green from many years ago:  I seem to remember that I switched because of the odor control.

Pine Pellets:  Ended up loving the odor control but could not get used to the pain involved in stepping on the pellets that the cats kicked out of the box first thing in the morning.

Things I'm considering:

I saw something about this Smart Cat scooping litter.  Has anyone tried it?

Should we retry WBCL?  If so, which one?  Lavender is out, because my other half hates the smell of lavender.

Should we try any of the Fresh For Life green alternatives?

Is there another brand I should look for?

Thanks a bunch!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had to try a lot of litters to find one that my new cat will agree to.  During my experiment I tried the World's Best Cat Litter and I pretty much hate it.  It is so fine and light that it ends up everywhere even though the one cat who uses that box regularly is not a big digger.  I also find that even with scooping 2-3 x a day it just absorbs and holds odors.  I did a complete empty and refill 2 days ago and today I changed it again because it stunk so much- and again there is only one of my three actually using the box.  I find it to be dusty like clay litter so I still get some whitish cat foot prints walking away from the box as well.

I do like the feline pine original litter.  It's non-clumping so I have to use a little more care to scoop out solids but the urine just soaks into the pellets and they turn into sawdust.  The sawdust does not smell though:)  There is minimal scatter as the pellets are big enough/ heavy enough not to go flying.  That is the box I can be a little lazy with and miss a scooping because it has remarkable odor control and anything liquid just absorbs.  That said, only my new cat is using this box.  The other two do not recognize it as a bathroom spot because they are not used to going on big pellets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion. We ended up getting world's best with pine. we'll see how that works out. I hate buying small bags but I'm so sceptical.
I don't know about doing the pellets again. They were so painful to step on.

oliverwinston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use the smartcat. It's amazing... Granted I've only had my kittens for like 4 months but I came from precious cat by dr. Something lol. It was terrible.

The smartcat is basically dust free. Unlike previous cat that claimed to be dust free and was the opposite.

The smartcat smells like wood chips which I love. I literally love the smell of the litter haha

Odor control is top notch however I feed raw only so order is never a problem anyway...

Only issue is it is very light and tracks a bit. I have a 3 foot mat in front of it and if they walk out of the box it's not bad but if they run it gets all over the floor. I sweep that room daily though any have no problem doing it

No blackness or dust residue from my kitties sniffing the litter. Also it just very light on the dust :clap: