Great news!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has really perked up since the news. IF he gets approved for the transplant he could be back to leading a fairly normal life. He is even talking about playing golf again - he hasn't played in 4-5 years. He is also talking about going back to work part time. I would love that! He needs something to do to get him off the couch and involved in life. Plus, it would free up my time too (I sound selfish) since right now I am stretched thin with getting everything done. It is mentally and physically exhausting doing everything. The only thing I don't do is shovel the driveway when we have snow - a neighbor insists on doing it. I told him the other day that when he gets better I am taking some time off and he can take care of me!:)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has really perked up since the news. IF he gets approved for the transplant he could be back to leading a fairly normal life. He is even talking about playing golf again - he hasn't played in 4-5 years. He is also talking about going back to work part time. I would love that! He needs something to do to get him off the couch and involved in life. Plus, it would free up my time too (I sound selfish) since right now I am stretched thin with getting everything done. It is mentally and physically exhausting doing everything. The only thing I don't do is shovel the driveway when we have snow - a neighbor insists on doing it. I told him the other day that when he gets better I am taking some time off and he can take care of me!:)
Sounds fair to me.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We now have appointments for UMass about the transplant. He goes for an educational visit, then the next day he goes for more testing ( he is thrilled about that! 😉) and then a few days later he meets with the transplant team. I was told I can attend the meetings, which I am happy about, rather than sitting in the car like I had to when he had the biopsies.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still no decision on if he is a viable candidate for transplant. We have met with the team. one expressed doubt, the others seemed to think he would be a good candidate. His MELD score was 15. It is a scale that they use to predicted the chance of death within 3 months. It goes from 6 to 40, so he isn't in to bad of shape according to that. He still has to see a cardiologist. These past few days he hasn't been himself. His ammonia levels were elevated at the last blood test. That leads to confusion and crankiness, a lot like early dementia. Add that to the fact he hurt himself a few weeks ago thinking he could stack firewood (that is another long, aggravating story as to why he needed to stack it). He now has to have a surgical consult for a possible hernia. Aside from feeling overwhelmed sometimes and tired, I am fine. At least now I can get outside for a break once in awhile.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the update. I hope he doesn't need a hernia procedure on top of his other health problems but if so we will keep our fingers crossed for him. :crossfingers: Sending special thoughts and hugs to both of you. :grouphug:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is back in the hospital. This past week or so I noticed more and more confusion. Yesterday he tried to get out of bed and fell to the floor. I tried for 2 hours to get him up but he was to out of it to understand what I was telling him. The paramedics came and got him up. He wasn't injured. They can't figure out what is causing it, having ruled out enzyme levels being off and infections. I hope this makes sense - I am going on about 3 hours sleep.