Great Life dry vs TotW dry

trixiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a while back about switching my cats to an all-wet diet, but now I have a question on dry food. My three cats are still eating canned food, but I like to have a back up dry food just in case, or as a small midday snack. Currently I'm giving them Taste of the Wild (the green bag, I believe it's chicken and venison). When we went to the store today to pick up some canned food, I saw that they had Great Life food (click here) and decided to buy a bag to see if the cats would like it.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

How do the ingredients look? I'm nowhere near a food expert
Are they any better than TotW?

Thank you for reading and for any help!

random gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like Great Life a lot. No recalls on their products, ever. TOTW had a recall a couple of years ago for salmonella. Great Life has USA sourced ingredients and manufacturing. No potatoes, which TOTW does have. I think, overall Great Life is a better food than TOTW. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
While I like the idea of Great Life using Freeze Dried proteins and adding probiotics, I don't understand why they need to have as their 2nd ingredient.  Or the need for all those fruits and vegies.  So between the two, I'm not sure that one is better than the other, but I do like that Great Life has USA sourced ingredient and manufacturing, since I live in the USA. 

I purchased some of the CANNED Great Life, and NONE of my cats would eat it. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for replying! It ends up that the Great Life food isn't too popular here, so I will be exchanging it. Does anyone have any recommendations for other dry foods? I used to feed EVO before switching to TotW and then to wet. I stopped feeding EVO due to the recalls that happened last year. I don't know much about other brands, but I've heard Orijen is pretty good. The store I go to has many different brands so I'm sure I'll be able to find something.

(Also, the dry food will only be for an occasional snack. The kitties will still be given an all-wet diet
)

Thank you again for the help!

random gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Orijen Six Fish is what I feed Porter, I also feed it as a snack. I leave some of it down for him after he finishes his canned breakfast in the mornings. I'm loving it so far. Porter's coat picked up that glossy sheen that I expect to see an animal get from grain free food within about four days. His coat is gorgeous. I feed Porter mostly wellness core canned. He's a weirdo. He won't eat chicken based dry food, but he won't eat fish based canned food.

I like that Orijen has cranberries in it, which have immune support and help keep the urinary tract healthy, I know a lot of people aren't keen on the fruit and veg in Orijen, but there's more meat than anything else and in dogs and in people, cranberries promote urinary tract and kidney health. I had a rescue dog come home with a UTI and I started her on cran caps before I took her to the vet. They really help out a lot. I also like that the ingredients are all sourced in Canada. No tainted meat from China here. 

I feed my dogs Nature's Variety Instinct. I have 3 Labs and the Orijen dog food contains potatoes and sweet potatoes. I've had my dogs get yeasty ears on Orijen in the past, so I don't feed that to them. The cat food does not have potatoes in it though. Nature's Variety uses tapioca for a binder. It's got a similar guaranteed analysis to Orijen, but Orijen has more Omega 3s and Omega 6 fatty acids. I have also considered feeding Porter their Instinct raw medallions, but I'm not sure I'm ready to take the plunge into feeding raw just yet.