Greasy Fur On Chest

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!
My 9 months old longhair scottish has a really greasy and oily fur, from his chin to his chest. He we'll be neutered next month and he also has stud tail, so I believe maybe it's a matter of hormones? He also stinks a lot (my vet actually said it's the stinkiest tomcat he's ever visited! And I try to keep him super-clean, which I'm obviously failing at... :disappointed: ).
Do you think I should investigate any other reason for this problem? And how should I clean this poor cat? Thank you :hearthrob:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is there any reason why you have to wait another month before you get him neutered? Mine were all fixed before 6 months so I avoided a lot of the stinky tom problems. If you get him fixed now that might put an end to a lot of these issues, but please be aware that once a male cat has reached sexual maturity it will take a month for his hormones to settle down.

Greasy fur can indicate nutritional problems, food allergies etc.

I suggest you get him fixes ASAP, wait and see how his fur is in a month from now and then consider diet changes to see if that helps.

You could also take him to a groomer and ask them to bathe him. A groomer would be likely to know if he's just a bit smelly or has something else wrong with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any reason why you have to wait another month before you get him neutered? Mine were all fixed before 6 months so I avoided a lot of the stinky tom problems. If you get him fixed now that might put an end to a lot of these issues, but please be aware that once a male cat has reached sexual maturity it will take a month for his hormones to settle down.

Greasy fur can indicate nutritional problems, food allergies etc.

I suggest you get him fixes ASAP, wait and see how his fur is in a month from now and then consider diet changes to see if that helps.

You could also take him to a groomer and ask them to bathe him. A groomer would be likely to know if he's just a bit smelly or has something else wrong with him.
Yes, there is a reason unfortunately. He had pneumonia during the summer, so we had to wait and then re-do his vaccines (since he skipped the boost). He did the first one last week, and the vet told us to wait at least 20 days.
He actually has food allergy, we are pretty sure about it because he developed a rodent ulcer while eating chicken canned food (GranataPet). Now we use monoproteic hypoallergenic food, and he's all better (no ulcers, no runny eyes and sneezes), but the fur problem continues to get worse!
T

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh poor guy! That must have been rough for all of you.

It does sound like the greasy fur is caused by his food allergies. It can take a while to pin down exactly what ingredient is causing a reaction. I suggest that you talk to your vet about how best to test for allergies once he's been neutered. Most people do it by carefully eliminating certain foods from the cat's diet. I've never had to do this myself, but there is an article about it here that might be useful.

11 Key Facts About Food Allergies In Cats

Has he ever had a bath? Are you able to bathe him yourself or is there a groomer you could ask to do it?