grass seed kitty litter

neme64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used every litter it seems. I stay away from corn based, clay. Been using grass seed litter for a couple years now. It clumps very well, no dust..Has anyone used it and has their cat been itchy obsessively, licking , seizure like episodes after licking so much...? I do not think this is the issue as my cats problems started way before I used this litter.. It may be FUS or some neurological issue...Grass seed litter does not have the pollen and I do not feel its the culprit but just thought I'd ask.. if anyone who has used it had issues...

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of it, but interesting idea! I guess you have to be careful getting it to the garbage otherwise you have a runaway lawn on your hands, with possibly non native invasive species? Does it list where the seed comes from? Is there a brand name? There are videos where you can make your own kitty litter, if you have patience. Not sure if grass seed though. Have you asked the company or read reviews? Assuming the grass isn’t sprayed w/ herbicides?

When my cat started itching, it was food allergies & chicken was the culprit.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
do not think this is the issue as my cats problems started way before I used this litter.
Have you had him/her or them in for a wellness check?

If there are specific hot spots on the skin try this;

This isn't a cure but can you use unflavored chamomile tea, or coconut oil on the hot spots?

Store bought unflavored chamomile tea (garden grown is unsafe for cats) is anti bacterial and anti fungal, coconut oil is anti microbial. Both are safe if ingested, and colloidal silver could be an option as well. These will ease the discomfort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neme64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Never heard of it, but interesting idea! I guess you have to be careful getting it to the garbage otherwise you have a runaway lawn on your hands, with possibly non native invasive species? Does it list where the seed comes from? Is there a brand name? There are videos where you can make your own kitty litter, if you have patience. Not sure if grass seed though. Have you asked the company or read reviews? Assuming the grass isn’t sprayed w/ herbicides?

When my cat started itching, it was food allergies & chicken was the culprit.
Its not Grass seed like you buy at the store. It looks like worlds best cat litter look but more gray. That type of granules.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve been using grass litter for years with four different cats and haven’t had any problems. It sounds as if it could be an allergic reaction, though, so something else could be the culprit. The seizure episodes are concerning. Has your kitty been to the vet?

neme64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he was at the vet many times..since 2017...prozac helped him and he seemed a bit better. then did the food panel and hydrolyzed diet and prednisone..But its worse than ever. Vets don't know.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I realize it isn't a cure, but the tea or coconut oil will help ease his discomfort. Do you have an air cleaner running?

Are you using scented or strong-fumey cleaners on the floor, in the kitchen, on furniture, in the laundry or the clothes dryer?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
An allergy to cat litter can cause weird symptoms, including itching.

However, it wouldn't explain the seizures I would think.

neme64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realize it isn't a cure, but the tea or coconut oil will help ease his discomfort. Do you have an air cleaner running?

Are you using scented or strong-fumey cleaners on the floor, in the kitchen, on furniture, in the laundry or the clothes dryer?
NO NEVER USE SMELLY ANYTHING!!

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started using grass litter from Frisco (chewy brand) and loved it because it had absolutely no dust but..one of my cats started to develop itchy scabs so I realized it had to be the litter since it started shortly after the switch. I went back to using corn (worlds best) and he’s much better although it can take months for the scabs to heal.