grass eating

abby robertson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took my kittens outside for the first time to play for a while and Zazzles went straight to the grass and was munching on it and is now vomiting...Should i stop him doing this? I read somewhere that its normal but i also read it can be bad for them?

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some kitties love love cat grass--and then promptly throw it up. Ritz is like that. So I limit the amount/time she has access to cat grass.
Ritz is a strictly indoor cat, so I buy the cat grass at the local pet food store. Now that spring is here, I will grow it in pots. I will use organic soil and organic seeds.
Which leads me to my question/concern: I think it is okay for a cat to eat cat grass as a treat, but make 110% sure there have been no chemicals / fertilizer spread on it. Also some types of grass (especially the long kind) can contain bacteria or parasites, invisible to the human eye but not to the inside of cats (and dogs) stomachs.
Finally, eating grass *can* be an indicator of an illness, so keep that in the back of your mind if Zazzles starts displaying unusual behaviors.

zemari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I grow a regular supply and they get a few blades each day - they seem to love it

Clyde was off colour over Christmas (he will eat anything and I am convinced that he ate something he shouldnt have)

he ate grass, threw up and then was back to normal !

The only thing that freaked me out was when I saw something that looked like a worm in their poop - i had to examine it closely to realise it was actually a piece of undigested grass.... the other half and youngest son thought I was mad.... (they are probably right lol)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby robertson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what catgrass is? lol

He just ate the grass out in the yard( no chemicals ) but he didnt spit up much i was just curious if it was ok or not.Thanx for your advice