grainy Purina

nora4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I poured out cat Purina complete natural food at night in the dark and in the morning noticed about a 6-7 inch hard chunk about 4.5 inches deep in the cat dish. it looked like compressed sawdust and about 3 pieces of regular cat food stuck in it. the younger cat was gnawing on it. I took it away from him and called Purina. They said it was ok, just some food that was not formed into kibble. i asked if it could make the cat sick and the woman said no. a couple days later that cat is slowing down but still running and eating and functional. then he slows way down. now he is on iv fluids+antibiotics not eating, lots of gross details. i called Purina again to see if they had any ideas for treatment. they say it sounded like what was in the bag just 'build up of product that occasionally forms on processing equipment' and it is the same stuff in the cat food and would not make a cat sick. they have no ideas on treatment. i am just wondering if this happened to anyone else and if so, what improved the cat?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. None of these companies are going to say anything that can be potentially used against them later. I have not had any direct experience with any such thing, but if it were me, I would consider getting another brand of food and mixing it with a new bag of the Purina that you have thoroughly checked out first. I only recommend the mixing at first because most cats do better if their food is changed gradually.

However, I think this might be coincident to something else going on, as I cannot understand why a vet would prescribe an antibiotic for a food issue. IV fluids, because he was throwing up - yes. So, what else can you tell us? Details, gross as they may be, would help. How did the vet get to giving IV fluids and antibiotics?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's no way of knowing, unfortunately, unless you thought to keep that piece, and take it in to the vet. HE could test it to see what it is. Do you have an actual diagnosis yet?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you give Purina the batch / lot number from the bag so they can check to see if that particular batch of food had any issues with processing? Where did you buy the bag from? Is it possible your cat found the sawdust like lump in the house and put it in the bowl and damp kibble got stuck to it?

Don't bother asking Purina (or any other pet food company) for veterinary treatment suggestions. No one in Customer Service is a vet who can give you veterinary advice and they certainly won't give you any suggestions on what to do to avoid a lawsuit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nora4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes blood work showed white blood cell levels not right, looked like infection. ruled out other diseases, cancer etc with several tests. 6 year old cat, never had problems before. blood out the backside, dehydration, mucous out of mouth, eyes, lost half weight in about 5 days. all shots up to date.

nora4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
got it at target, gave purina their batch number and the target marking sticker. no this chunk weighed about a pound. it smelled like cat food and cat was sad to see me take it out of bowl. no way cat could have drug that. if anything, cats will take a small light piece of fresh meat off saucer or bowl and eat it off the floor, not the other way around. havent seen many insects around during the period either. i asked vet about possible reaction to snakebite or bee sting and they said there would be a mark or inflamation somewhere and they saw nothing.

nora4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is still not eating--day 10. discharge now green instead of bloody, getting iv antibiotics, fluid, electrolytes. no palpable masses, xrays show nothing. getting stronger. taking that metripine and antinauseau meds but still not eating. He has always eaten. never had infection before. praying.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it looked like compressed sawdust and about 3 pieces of regular cat food stuck in it. the younger cat was gnawing on it. I took it away from him and called Purina. They said it was ok, just some food that was not formed into kibble. i asked if it could make the cat sick and the woman said no. a couple days later that cat is slowing down but still running and eating and functional. then he slows way down.
No way to be sure of course but to me this sounds more likely to be coincidence. You say the younger cat ate it too but he's not sick, it's the older cat, right? And the symptoms appeared several days later. Usually when there is a problem about the food it doesn't take that long for symptoms to appear. And the x-rays didn't show a blockage..

What is the diagnosis? I understand they saw infection in the blood test but what is the source of infection in the body? What kind of infection? Also, did they test for FIV, FeLV, and other viruses? Either way since it's been 10 days already, I would take all the results of the tests they did and take them to another clinic to get a second opinion from a different vet about the diagnosis and the treatment.