Grain free wet food??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Many of the fancy feast and friskies classic pates are low to no carb. So essentially low to no grains. Also it is ok for cats with no teeth to eat dry. Many many do, most don't chew their kibble anyway and if that is all she can handle due to food sensitivities I wouldn't risk changing it. That being said, a fully dry diet is never ideal for cats so maybe try a limited ingredient canned food and start there. Problem is when you change foods they can get stomach upset, you won't really know for sure until the cat has been on a new food for a little awhile if it is working or not.
So is it possible part of why she hasn't been 'hungry' for more than one can, or a half a can at a time, because she's been eating the dry?

Yeah, the changing is mostly due to us not being able to get her regular food though. =( Someone apparently came into our TS and bought out all of the cans of cat food they had, leaving only kitten food (which she snubs)

-- Side note and update though --
She's not really eating the can food. She ate half a can this morning and had diarrhea. It wasn't BAD, like not a lot, no blood or anything. Just normal diarrhea, and really I only noticed because she got it stuck to her butt because it smelled AWFUL, which I had to clean (she's super not happy with me atm.) She wasn't grooming herself, for obvious reasons but groomed once I cleaned her down.

She nibbled the can of fancy feast that I opened for her, but didn't eat THAT much, so it's in the fridge now in hopes she'll want to eat later. She seems excited when I bring food in then it's like she looks at the food and goes 'Oh, yeah, eh.' -- I know she REALLY loves the 4health but I just don't have anymore at the moment, at least until I get paid and go check TS,and hopefully by now they have restocked.

Should I give her rice and chicken broth? I don't think her stomach issues are THAT bad but I'm paranoid and really have been not trusting my own judgement since we lost CiCi. My anxiety flares up at the first sign that something might be wrong.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Someone apparently came into our TS and bought out all of the cans of cat food they had, leaving only kitten food
Can you call and ask it/when they're getting another delivery? ...and suggest they put a limit on how much can be purchased.

I think chicken broth yes, not sure about the rice. I've been reading both good and bad about rice but since it is an ingredient in commercial foods, maybe yes?
There might be something here?

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you go to the TSC website, you can order cat food, they'll let you know when it's in, and hold it for a couple days until you get there. Much better than going in and finding out they don't have any.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
How are things going for you?
She got pretty sick for a bit, wouldn't eat her food. She did a turn around that night though and was way better the next morning. Still doesn't like the food, but ate an entire can of it. We managed to get 4 cases of her usual food, so we can hunker down for our lockdown without worrying about having to find a replacement. We had to drive a town over to actually GET her food because someone keeps buying it out at the Tractor Supply we normally go to, but... all is well now! She's happy, she has her normal food =D