Grain Free Comments

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello - I am new to the site - I recently switched my cats over to all Grain Free Foods and learned that finding brands they like is hard.  The like the Nutro Natural Balance Soft Loaf in the canned, and also canned Redbarn Salmon and Delilah, and in the dry the Natural Balance Alpha Cat and Hills Ideal balance chicken and brown rice.

They hated Merrick, tolerated wellness, hated Blue, tolerated Taste of the Wild, hated and  Fromm

My older one has IBD and frequent UTI episodes - they seem a lot better now that they are on the grain free - much more energetic and healthier coats. Episodes are further apart.

I also sprinkle a probiotic on the hard food.

Any suggestions - or better foods to try?   I found that if I order online at wag.com I get good deals, as I am in a rural area and no stores for this type of food.

Thanks!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well I could have written your post. I am in the same boat. Trying to find a good brand. that my cats will actually eat. Have you tried Sheba or Fancy feast? The have by products. But many feed them because thats the canned that their cats will actually eat. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did feed them fancy feast, but it seemed too rich for my older one with problems.  I tried Sheba once, and they were not impressed!!   They really take to the Natural Balance soft loafs, it is very moist for a pate' I just wish it came in something bigger than a 3.5 oz can.  It also has a strong aroma.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They really take to the Natural Balance soft loafs, it is very moist for a pate' I just wish it came in something bigger than a 3.5 oz can.  It also has a strong aroma.
You mean Nutro Natural Choice, correct? They are pretty stinky.  Boo likes the Turkey pate the best.

Natural Balance is a different brand and most of the pates contain ground brown rice, except for the Limited Ingredient line. Sebastian used to LOVE the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Duck & Green Pea canned food, but then he developed some issues and we had to put him on a rabbit only diet.

At one point I was feeding my Boo all "premium" grain free foods and he just wasn't crazy about any of them. He's getting older now (just turned 14) and he's eating less, so I ended up switching him to a small rotation of grain free, no nitrate foods from Fancy Feast, Purina Pro Plan, Sheba, etc. to keep the weight on. I'll still offer him some of the premium brands, but he's just not a fan.

The only grain free premium food that Caesar (my super picky, previous kibble addict) will eat is EVO 95% Chicken & Turkey canned food. You could give that a try if it's available in your area. The 95% line has other flavors, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie williams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you - Yes, I meant the Nutro Natural Choice (sorry!)  I will give the EVO a try too if I can find it. I like ordering online when I find one they like, but I don't want a case of one flavor they don't like! lol  They are so picky.   My Bug has IBD issues and she is 13 now so I really cater to her too.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Lorie Williams,

You can use the links in my signature to get to online stores that will sell cat food by the single can. If they like the Natural Choice soft loaf, stick with pates, which is better for them anyway. Friskies also stinks, try that. It is available in the supermarket for cheap. When my kitty was sick I gave her Friskies and that got her to eat. I could literally smell the stuff down the hallway and into the bedroom, though. You can also try sprinkling FortiFlora probiotic or crushed kibble on the food. These products contain animal digest. Animal digest is used with kibble to make the food palatable to cats.

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome.  I live in a rural area too and have been pleased with Chewy.com (just another online retailer). I used one of the links in Raintyger's post to try various flavors of Hound & Gatos.  Finally she ate the lamb!  It seemed almost as cheap to order a case of the Evo as to try single cans since the places that had most of the things didn't carry Evo.  So I ordered it and haven't tried it yet. Dandy isn't eating well again.

I have another cat who isn't picky but is getting quite a supply of stuff now.  If you can afford to do the case, you can always donate it to a shelter.  Sometimes it is almost cheaper than buying single cans to try, even if you can get them locally (and you do a good deed).

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone is having trouble placing an order for single cans of cat food I will even get the cat food and mail it to you for reimbursement of food and postage only (no service fees). I live in a large metropolitan area, so I can get my hands on a lot of different food. I can stuff three 5.5-oz cans of food in a USPS small flat rate box.

Last edited:

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

If anyone is having trouble placing an order for single cans of cat food I will even get the cat food and mail it to you for reimbursement of food and postage only (no service fees). I live in a large metropolitan area, so I can get my hands on a lot of different food. I can stuff three 5.5-oz cans of food in a USPS small flat rate box.
I thought about doing this too. If anyone wants to try some I have a bunch of different brands/kinds i bought cases of. I got it at 20% off so i will sell you the price per can plus shipping.