Gradual Introductions Work!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot believe just how easily the gradual introduction of a cat to a kitten can lead to a great cat friendship. The process was slow and not without challenges, but now we have cats that cuddle, eat together and play. It took a long time to get here. 

6/06/2015 Carrot started out with firm boundaries, only approaching Angua the kitten when she was held. Hissing at the intruder.

6/08/2015 After he stopped hissing they had some supervised time in the same space.

6/09/2015 Actually found a toy that they were both interested in to get them interested in playing together.

6/11/2015 They started eating near each other and were okay being near each other regularly.

6/18/2015 Started to get closer over shared interests (a bug on the ground). 

6/20/2015 First time cuddling. Angua is a big cuddler. Carrot was not. He would start growling whenever she climbed on him, but would groom her at the same time so was sending mixed messages. 

6/22/2015 Angua backed off on cuddling for a while, but still stayed as close to him as he would let her get.

7/03/2015 More bonding over common interests.

7/28/2015 Finally got Carrot playing around Angua on a regular basis (thank you da bird). 

8/02/2015 Cuddling without much growling (still some here and there when she would invade his space when he was comfortable). They really started to play together much better.

9/05/2015 Carrot sharing his coveted favorite spot for the first time. The space is up above our cabinets between the kitchen and living room.

9/15/2015 Angua turned six months old. Cuddling (without any growling) and even lap sharing became common place sights. Carrot had been grooming her for a while. Finally allowed her to start grooming him.

And finally we're to today (9/18/2015). No growling. Constant cuddling. Cats that love being together all of the time. This is what they were up to while I typed their story.

I think Carrot's smile says it all. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww. I bet they'll start loving each other soon. I love the way cats will share a space without getting too close at first.