Got Teeth And Ear Cleaning-- Now Has Lost Hearing And More

romeocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Romeo is almost seven.Week ago went to vet. They cleaned teeth(first time) and had to extract two(upper R canine and a molar). Also cleaned ears.

He now has a total hearing loss. Also third eye lid shows in right eye.He did have ear itch and infection before procedure. Amox. prescribed after procedure. Any suggestions?? Could this hearing loss be just temporary? I hope so--he is my best friend.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3rd eyelid showing is usually the start of an upper respiratory infection or some sort of eye irritation. If he was at the vet a week ago, I don't know that it is necessarily related. For the hearing I would take him back in to the vet and have them look. If his hearing was fine before the cleaning maybe the ear solution they used is causing an issue. Were the ears infected or something or did they just do a routine cleaning?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Third eyelid showing can also be part of a cluster of neurological symptoms caused by inner ear injury or infection. The eye with the third eyelid showing, is the pupil also contracted to a greater degree than the other pupil? Does the top eyelid droop? Does he have a head tilt to that eye’s side? Does he have balance issues now? My Krista is going through this (not the hearing loss though) after an ear infection and a perforated eardrum. She is improving daily and I expect it to fully resolve in a few more weeks. Unfortunately your cat probably needs to see the vet again to determine the nature and extent of the trauma or injury to his ear to know whether the hearing loss is permanent. If it is only a temporary injury, it can take a month or two to heal.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also ask vet about eye drops. If third eyelid is showing, he’s having trouble blinking correctly. That membrane can dry out and cause an abrasion. So you have to give eye drops a few times a day to keep that from happening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

romeocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eye with third eyelid showing IS contracted more than the other. He did have some ear infection before the cleaning. Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone think amox. can be harmful to hearing ability? Clindamycin better or another remedy? Steroid shots are advised on some sites to reduce swelling and get nerves working again.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will need to visit the vet again. If he has an infection, they need to take a culture of it to see which antibiotic would work best. But they also need to evaluate the extent of the injury or trauma that’s causing the Horner’s Syndrome (the eye thing.). If the eardrum is still intact, they may just put an ointment in the ear that will do its thing over the next two weeks. You can get anecdotes and advice here but specific diagnosis and course of treatment can only be done at the vet’s office.

romeocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your comments!!

romeocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back to vet today.They did an exam. Extended amox. and recc. Zyrtec 5mg per night for 7-10 days. Vet said may take 3-6 weeks to recover from Horner's Syndrome. We will hope/pray for the best. This is (overall) the most loving/loyal cat I've ever had.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back to vet today.They did an exam. Extended amox. and recc. Zyrtec 5mg per night for 7-10 days. Vet said may take 3-6 weeks to recover from Horner's Syndrome. We will hope/pray for the best. This is (overall) the most loving/loyal cat I've ever had.
I feel for you. Krista is usually a perky love bug full of activity and mischief for a 14 yo. But since the Horners, she’s been wobbly and wanting to hide and sleep a whole lot more. Did you get the eye drops? As long as the third eyelid is up, he is having trouble blinking normally and will need the drops to keep his eye from drying out. Also ask about getting a prescription for transdermal bupenorphine if your guy looks like he’s having a hard time getting comfortable enough to sleep.