Got ourselves into potential mishap..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Threecatstwodogs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ok thanks guys. :) Orange boy is the smaller kitty. Black and white is the big boy. I'll have to try to get some pictures of them next to each other so you can see the size difference.

Threecatstwodogs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little orange kitty has been getting a LOT of poop stuck to his butt. It sometimes dries out and is very difficult to remove, trying to be as careful as possible. They both already had the tear duct stains when they arrived here. And also little guy seems to have a lot of black mucus flecks stuck in his nose, and sneezes here and there, sometimes in fits. The other day he tried to sniff something and I could tell they were blocking him from breathing easily through his nose.

Threecatstwodogs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so yesterday, kittens went to the vet.

I had my Mom suggest a fecal PCR panel as you guys have suggested to me, which she did. My Mom went there with two decent sized samples. The vet said it would be "no problem" but that he "didn't need it" but why don't they "talk about it again" in May (three weeks) when he goes next. She instead did the fecal float and reported no problems. She is still sending out for the Giardia part of it, as she claimed. Apparently she told my Mom he is "fine and is growing" but when I asked my Mom how MUCH the vet said he grew I got the impression it wasn't mentioned. The vet also thinks he could have been the runt and may just "be a peanut". Only he was the only surviving kitten.

OH! And she has insisted that we discontinue the KMR because "they don't need it" and it "causes diarrhea". Now am I just overly scrutinizing of her, or does some of this sound weird?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Is there any way you can get the kitten to a different vet for a second opinion? I don't know how competent your vet is normally, but it sounds to me like she just doesn't care.

Keep weighing the baby every day or two. If she's gaining weight the difference in sizes could be perfectly normal. A wide range of different sizes/weights can be normal, even within the same breed.

BTW what are your kitties' names.

Threecatstwodogs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any way you can get the kitten to a different vet for a second opinion? I don't know how competent your vet is normally, but it sounds to me like she just doesn't care.

Keep weighing the baby every day or two. If she's gaining weight the difference in sizes could be perfectly normal. A wide range of different sizes/weights can be normal, even within the same breed.

BTW what are your kitties' names.
I'll keep weighing and updating, but so far it seems as if he's gained .5 of an ounce a week. My Mom said if I can do some really good research and find us a better vet, she would be willing. Snoopy is the black and white and Cayman (Kay-men) like the Grand Cayman Island is the orange one. :)

Threecatstwodogs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first went to meet her and her teenage aged assistant, I got the impression that my concerns were brushed off and that everything is "no big deal", not much work is done to add up to an unreasonable vet bill. She made me feel like "I'm the vet and you don't know a thing" and like I was paranoid and didn't know what I was talking about. Her "assistant" is not much better, when I met her dogs (which were running around loose barking) I guessed that one was a Klee Kai, in which I was rudely corrected that she is a "small Husky" and she rudely corrected me on the pronunciation. It seems to me this first practice has gotten to their head's and there is not much experience here, with people or animals. It makes me sad and helpless and outright angry that these are the people that took over our old wonderful vet's practice and these are the people who our animal's health is in the hands of.

Threecatstwodogs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'm just the crazy one but I try to give everyone a chance and these should be the people who have my utmost respect.. I will not just look the other way when my babies' liveliness is at stake.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have any way to contact your old vet to ask for recommendations? When my work hours didn't allow me to get my kitty in on the one day a week my regular vet does surgery, he was happy to give me the names of two other vets and told me which one was really better with cats.

Threecatstwodogs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have any way to contact your old vet to ask for recommendations? When my work hours didn't allow me to get my kitty in on the one day a week my regular vet does surgery, he was happy to give me the names of two other vets and told me which one was really better with cats.
That's a good idea, I'm sure we could get in touch with him because he was in (the extended) family. My Mom did mention that "he said we would like this new vet" who is taking over but it sounded like more of a consolation effort rather than a heartfelt opinion. I don't think he knew her very well, and as I said, first impressions can be deceiving because out the outside these people can seem very nice.

Phoenix78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
Im new here and scrolling through the boards i came across your story.
With great interest i read and hoped for a positive outcome/resolution.

Is there any progress?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise