Got my cat spayed today, opted for the shirt but shes freaking out??

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so instead of a cone we decided to take the shirt, sounds like a wonderful idea! But honestly i feel like this is worse than the cone and i think i threw out the other ones i had laying around :( she was fine with it until just now, shes flipping around everywhere uncomfortable and even took it off at one point. She needs it for a week and we're not even past day 1. Has anyone had this issue?? Help?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would just watch her for a while without the shirt to make sure she's not licking the incision. I've never used a cone or shirt with any of my cats after their spay.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never used a shirt or cone either. The whole point of the shirt is to keep her from licking or pulling at the incision. Keeping her calm and content would be better. Just make sure she doesn’t bother the incision. Did they offer pain medicine? Perhaps she would go to sleep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve never used a shirt or cone either. The whole point of the shirt is to keep her from licking or pulling at the incision. Keeping her calm and content would be better. Just make sure she doesn’t bother the incision. Did they offer pain medicine? Perhaps she would go to sleep.
They gave me medicam idk if thats a pain reliever but im supposed to give it every 24 hrs :/

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try going no cone or shirt. My first experience was with a cone and my cat was super depressed. I went with no cone or shirt the second time around and my kitten hardly touched her incision, she just licked around it. YMMV but if you're mostly at home, I would just keep a close eye on her.

P.S. Meticam is a pain and anti inflammatory relief medication :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We used a onesie for our cat when she got spayed It worked ok for us except it wasn't sized correctly - my bad for buying it a month before and not realizing she'd keep growing lol. So we had to leave it unsnapped which was fine - it still covered her tummy but...by the next day she'd dragged it into her water fountain somehow so that was that. We just kept a keen eye on her and she was too tired the first couple of days to do much damage to herself anyway. By the 3rd day however, she was raring to go so we just picked up all her toys that would make her go nutty to keep her a bit calmer. All went ok, so you know, they manage!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your input. We kept it off since she took it off again and never licked her incision to my surprise. Shes fully healed now :)