Got bitten… again. Status aggression?

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just finished cleaning up yet another aggressive, skin-breaking bite from Sophia.

I was recording a video of her because I was trying to go to the bathroom and she was obsessively following me. I thought it was cute. She had very friendly body language: small pupils, ears up, tail up with a crook, no meowing/growling/hissing, rubbing, purring. Finally, I gave up trying to use that bathroom and went to exit the room. Without ANY change in body language, she lunged, bit the back of my knee, which is covered with other bite scars from her, and would NOT let go. Her teeth punctured through my pants and she would not let go until I pushed her off and yelled. I chased her out of the room with a pillow and closed the door.

I’ve watched all the Jackson Galaxy videos, read the articles on here, talked to every cat owner I know… stumped. Then, I just read this article, linked in another thread and felt like I had a breakthrough.

Sophia does so many of these things.
  • Follows me from room to room and sometimes blocks my path
  • Stares at me for long periods of time (often licking her lips?)
  • Constantly and insistently scent marks me and everywhere around us
  • Insists on sitting on my lap and will bite if I move in a position she does not like
  • Has bitten me while I was on the phone because attention was not on her
So, let’s say she has Status Aggression. What are my options? Do I ask the vet for Prozac or Gabapentin? I consider myself very fortunate to have not been infected by the numerous deep, scarring puncture wounds I’ve gotten from her. I fear her. I try to not let it impact our relationship and still play with her, brush her, and love her. Everyone who sees her says she loves me very much and is obsessed with me. But I cannot keep being attacked. She isn’t “stalking” me and nipping my ankles like a kitten. She bites to hurt and control me. No one I know with a cat has been attacked this badly.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're dealing with such aggressive behaviour form Sophia. How old is she? Has she always been aggressive? And is it just you and her in the home, or are they other humans / pets?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ahhh i cant say this is the best method much less the best/correct way to deal with the issue when we adopted graycie she was kinda on the aggressive side very free with using her teeth ,claws in play and trying to bully the gf and i what i did once i was able to read the signs of impending attack was grab and pin her head to the ground soon as she made her attempt to attack using her teeth on me gotta be gentle though about it your not trying to hurt the cat just control it with enough force to pin it and hold it there a bit while in a loud voice telling it no biting the cat will struggle so hold it there a bit then release it after a few times graycie figured out whose boss? or stronger for sure and that using teeth or trying to bully me that way only gets her pinned until she mews uncle . dont hold a grudge after though give a few treats or play time after a few minutes. :lol:funny thing is graycie doesnt listen to me she will listen to the gf but try at times to bully her still doesnt try that with me no more:rolleyes: well rarely she does but thats only if she is to wound up and a simple hey no teeth works along with a break in playing. best of luck to you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're dealing with such aggressive behaviour form Sophia. How old is she? Has she always been aggressive? And is it just you and her in the home, or are they other humans / pets?
She’s 10.5 years old, previously declawed, and I’ve had her since August 2020. She had a history of “play aggression” in her records. She has bitten me like this on average once per month since I got her (there is some evidence in my posting history). It’s just me in the home, but my partner does spend most weekends and has never been bitten. There are no other pets in the home, just a fish tank that she ignores.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used the scruffing technique with very good results. Sophia loves you and is 'controlling' you because she can. Whenever she is rushing towards you or even latched on, take her by the loose skin on the back of the neck, pull her to the ground and hold her there until she quiets. At first, it will irritate her, but be firm and hold her. If she comes right back at you, do it again, and again.....it is what mama cats do to control an unruly kitten, and what adults do to show dominance, and that is what you have to do, show her you do not approve of what she is doing. say NO! loudly and hold her until she stills. usually not more than a few seconds. This must be done every time until she quits, and eventually, she will because she does not like to be controlled, she is a female and queen of her domain. Never lift a cat this way, it can tear the skin away, but to gain complete control you can lift the front feet off the ground with her able to support her weight with her back legs. This is the last resort, but is in their language. It sounds like you are there. she should NOT be able to physically harm you, that is unacceptable and she needs to learn this. She has no idea she is actually hurting you, she is trying to teach you manners and to pay attention to her. She doesn't do this with anyone else because she senses they would not stand for it. But you love her and will, and she gets away with it. There are some 'calming' treats on pet sites and amazon that may help too, I give half doses to go to the vet for some cats and they really do work. I wish you well!

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you discussed her aggression with her vet? Medication might be the answer.
She has to be HEAVILY sedated at the vet because she screams, bites, and cannot be restrained. She does not scruff well at all. She goes into full meltdown mode. She has to be put in a cone, restrained in a towel, then given two doses of Gabapentin just for an exam. The vet exclusively knows her as a fractious cat. But none of that happens before the bites at home.

Pardon the unshaven winter legs, but this was after I cleaned up the blood. This was taken 2 hours after the bite. It is worse today. This was through a pair of thick sweatpants. That darker dot near the top is a scar from a previous bite.
41A329F0-2D94-4AF3-984F-A286D9B0682E.jpeg

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the resources, rubysmama rubysmama . I always squeeze the blood out of her bites, wash with soap and water, then clean with peroxide before neosporin. Luckily, I haven’t gotten an infection somehow, since she’s bitten me so deeply and so often. Today the bruise is much darker and extremely painful.

Va'sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fluoxitine & Cat Aggression - in a 2 year old rescued Benglal mix who is definitely the finest cat I have had in over 70 years but very aggressive with her swats and bites. She has put me on strong antibiotics for cellulitis ( or cat fever) in my legs 4 times in the first year we had her. At my age this can be life threatening. We tried gabapentin, Bach flower remedies, behavior modification - all with no improvement. She would not qualify to be rehomed as I know she could easily hurt someone and I am very attached to her- she is super affectionate. when she is good she is very good - when she if bad, she is very bad! We finally started Fluoxitine/Prosac a month ago and it has been very helpful. It is in liquid form and the original dosage was 1 ml a day but I quickly cut it down to 10 drops a day - which I would guess is less than 1/2 a mil .. possibly only .25. Her aggression is definitely curbed.. the full mill sort of deleted her little personality too much - no other side effects that I can tell. The Vet originally told me I would have to have it compounded but the compounding pharmacy told me she could order it - I do see from the online pet medication sources that it can be bought in a "tuna" flavor - it needs to be specified not to contain alcohol and it does have a strong "non-tuna" order in the liquid form but I stir it into her first of the morning wet cat food and she always walks away from it and then comes back and finishes it. Her nails are also very strong and very sharp - I had to have the vet cut them most of the time but I think with her on the fluoxetine I will be able to do it myself with help. The vet and her assistant did it without having to wrap her this week..