Got any ideas for cat friendly hair accessories to keep long hair pinned up or otherwise secured?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my hair accessories that I've used for years have finally bitten the proverbial dust, and I'm having trouble finding suitable replacements that won't easily break into small pieces that the cats could swallow. Doggone it, they just don't make things like they used to!

So around the house I've been keeping my hair secured with a snood or a scarf. But if I have to go out, I usually prefer some kind of side up-do that doesn't require a zillion bobby pins that could fall out and the cats could get a hold of, or need any hair spray to keep it in place (as one of them has allergies).

Any suggestions?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When my hair was long I used to do a braid that I then pulled up, folded under and pinned. It only took two or three pins and it would stay up all day

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scrunchies?
Funny thing you should mention scrunchies, as they were the first of my ancient hair accessories to meet their demise. :)

The problem I have with the scrunchies I bought to replace the old ones is that I have a lot of...oh, what in the heck do you call it? I have a lot of hair per square inch, but the texture is very soft and fine. So after a couple of hours or so, my hair slips out of the side bun I *thought* I had secured with a scrunchie, and falls all over the place at the most inopportune moment!

Maybe I'll try to make my own with a lightweight fabric that's not quite so silky. Thanks much! :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my hair was long I used to do a braid that I then pulled up, folded under and pinned. It only took two or three pins and it would stay up all day
Okay, I'll give that a try, maybe with some larger pins that would be easier to spot on the floor if they manage to slide out of my hair.

I used to use really sturdy combs or alligator clips for up-dos, but I guess they got brittle with age and the teeth broke off. Then the newer ones would either slide out of my hair almost right away, or the teeth would break off. Thankfully, I found the pieces before the cats did. But it sure scared the daylights out of me, and now I'm super paranoid about that sort of thing. :wink:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flexi clips from Lila Rose! They come in lots of sizes. They work best for me if I am working from wet hair; but dry works too.

I have probably a dozen and I've never had one break or wear out. This is the cat one I have: Lilla Rose Inc - Cat's Meow
Oooh, way cool! I love how they have a size chart to help you figure out what size to get, as well as some styling videos to show how to use them. And they look lightweight enough not to pull downward as the day goes on. Will definitely give them a try! Thanks oodles!

And yeah, I know what you mean about wet hair. In a pinch, I can tie my hair into a knot when it's wet, and that will secure a side bun nearly all day without having to use any pins. :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooh, way cool! I love how they have a size chart to help you figure out what size to get, as well as some styling videos to show how to use them. And they look lightweight enough not to pull downward as the day goes on. Will definitely give them a try! Thanks oodles!

And yeah, I know what you mean about wet hair. In a pinch, I can tie my hair into a knot when it's wet, and that will secure a side bun nearly all day without having to use any pins. :)
They have good customer service too. I've exchanged before. I know some people like the other pins and things they have; but i haven't tried them myself. The videos are helpful too.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hair sticks? I have hip-length hair that is on the average side of thickness. I do not use hair ties of any sort, nor do I use hairspray. If my hair is up, it is secured with hair sticks or in a ribbon knot (when you tie your hair with your own hair). On rare occasions, I will use bobby pins, but I much prefer my hair sticks.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hair sticks? I have hip-length hair that is on the average side of thickness. I do not use hair ties of any sort, nor do I use hairspray. If my hair is up, it is secured with hair sticks or in a ribbon knot (when you tie your hair with your own hair). On rare occasions, I will use bobby pins, but I much prefer my hair sticks.
Oh, my goodness! That brings back memories! I tried them a long time ago, and never could get the hang of how to use them. So I cheated, and secured my hair with bobby pins, and just stuck the sticks in as pretty decorations. :lol:

But that was back in the days when my hair barely reached my shoulders. Now that it's almost long enough to sit on, I've had a bit more practice putting my hair up, and have learned a few tricks since then. So I'll definitely give them another try. Thanks bunches!

*scampers off to look for videos on YouTube*

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I vote hair sticks too. They have a learning curve, but the styles that use your own hair to secure it tend to stay up well with sticks. hair sticks, straight, twisted, crescent moon, U by HairSticksNMore has some great sticks, they're gorgeous and practical, and I've dropped mine and not had them break.

The nautilus style of bun is a good one for long hair, as a loop of your own hair helps to support and contain the rest of the hair, and it distributes the weight well. The lazy wrap bun is another hair stick style that uses your own hair to help secure the bun, but I found it became less comfortable as my hair got past waist length. My hair is just shy of my knees, and the nautilus bun is the one I use almost every day. You can use one stick or two to secure it, and some people somehow manage to make it with no sticks, but I'm not one of them. Good luck!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote hair sticks too. They have a learning curve, but the styles that use your own hair to secure it tend to stay up well with sticks. hair sticks, straight, twisted, crescent moon, U by HairSticksNMore has some great sticks, they're gorgeous and practical, and I've dropped mine and not had them break.

The nautilus style of bun is a good one for long hair, as a loop of your own hair helps to support and contain the rest of the hair, and it distributes the weight well. The lazy wrap bun is another hair stick style that uses your own hair to help secure the bun, but I found it became less comfortable as my hair got past waist length. My hair is just shy of my knees, and the nautilus bun is the one I use almost every day. You can use one stick or two to secure it, and some people somehow manage to make it with no sticks, but I'm not one of them. Good luck!
Oh, how pretty! And such a variety! I gotta get me some forks, too. *squees*

Have you tried the twisted sticks? I was just wondering if they might stay in better than the straight ones until I really get the hang of this.

The nautilus style sounds like that would be a good option for me. My neck and back are kinda messed up, so it's extremely helpful if I can put my hair up in a style where it's easier to get the weight distributed just right, or adapt it as a side up-do. Plus, if the my hair pulls too much, it flattens my poof. :biggrin:

Thanks ever so much, hon! :hearthrob:

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried the twisted sticks. I did try a hair fork, and it was very nice....until it cracked after something like six months of daily use. But given my hair, I honestly don't blame the fork at all. If you're more careful than I was about not stressing the joint, it should be fine. I've actually got a braided side nautilus bun with a five inch stick from that store in my hair right now. With the thickness of my hair and the braid, the stick barely shows, which is what I was hoping for this time.

If getting pins to stay in is an issue (heaven knows it is for me, my hair can eat a pack of 100 and still fall down...) try spin pins. They're much better for long term hold, I find. When I was first getting used to sticks, I would sometimes support a bun with a spin pin or two in addition to the stick, or to hold down a strange lump in an otherwise comfortable and well placed bun.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried the twisted sticks. I did try a hair fork, and it was very nice....until it cracked after something like six months of daily use. But given my hair, I honestly don't blame the fork at all. If you're more careful than I was about not stressing the joint, it should be fine. I've actually got a braided side nautilus bun with a five inch stick from that store in my hair right now. With the thickness of my hair and the braid, the stick barely shows, which is what I was hoping for this time.

If getting pins to stay in is an issue (heaven knows it is for me, my hair can eat a pack of 100 and still fall down...) try spin pins. They're much better for long term hold, I find. When I was first getting used to sticks, I would sometimes support a bun with a spin pin or two in addition to the stick, or to hold down a strange lump in an otherwise comfortable and well placed bun.
Yikes about the hair fork! I guess the simpler, the better re: daily wear and tear. Okay, plain sticks it is, at least for now. Oh, and some spin pins. I gotta order some stuff from Amazon anyway. :)

I totally understand what you mean about bobby pins. My hair is extremely soft and fine, almost like corn silk, and no matter how many pins I use, or how many times I crisscross them, they either wind up falling out completely, or move around so much that gravity eventually takes its toll. But it is kinda funny when I try a simple yet elegant looking French twist that lasts all of about five minutes before I start shedding bobby pins. Hee!