Got an abandoned cat - does he have Bengal in him?

Pinceau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My coworker was looking for a home for a cat that appeared in her neighborhood. They tried posting everywhere to try to find the owners but had no success so my coworker was asking if anyone wanted a cat. My husband and I took him in and he's extremely friendly. He begs to be petted and rams his head against anyone's hand. Getting him in a crate to take home was really difficult, but he's already forgiven us for forcing him in the crate less than 24 hours ago. His fur is also extremely soft.

Him being so friendly and soft makes us wonder if he might be part Bengal. He's also on the bigger side for a house cat.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pinceau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a gorgeous cat but probably not Bengal. I think he is a domestic shorthair with a stunning classic tabby pattern.
Okay, thank you, that makes sense! I found some tabbys on this forum that he looks really similar to so it seems to fit! I always thought tabbys were more of a striped pattern and didn't realize they could have a marbled effect.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also describe him as a brown classic tabby domestic shorthair. He is a lovely cat!

And I agree, the classic pattern is very striking when you haven't seen it much before! Here's an entertaining video that talks about cat domestication and the spread of the classic tabby gene through the ancient world:

Pinceau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would also describe him as a brown classic tabby domestic shorthair. He is a lovely cat!

And I agree, the classic pattern is very striking when you haven't seen it much before! Here's an entertaining video that talks about cat domestication and the spread of the classic tabby gene through the ancient world:
[/URL]
That's so interesting, I thought the Egyptians were the first! Thanks for sharing!

Pinceau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have they scanned him to make sure he doesn't have a microchip?
No one has been able to get him to a vet. As friendly as he is, my husband got really scratched up and bit trying to get him into a crate. No amount of coaxing worked. When he seems to settle down enough we are going to take him to have any work done and also check any chips. We are thinking maybe he will do better with a harness? My coworker said he wasn't neutered but I'm not certain how to tell myself. I know the general idea but I'm not certain. I was thinking if it's true that he isn't he probably isn't chipped either. We will still have them check though.

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
What a handsome fella!

Yes, when you get the chance better to check for a microchip. He could be somebody's cat and may be looking for him. Otherwise, then fate has brought him to you. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He has sacks, but the neutered do often have some sacks left, especielly if neutered late, as adults. Even if they are visibly smaller than before - but this you cant know if you werent the owner. So sometimes you wouldnt know if you are new to the cat.