Got a summons for federal jury duty, hoping I don't have to go

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Last week I got a summons for possible federal jury duty in Philadelphia late August and I am hoping that I don't have to go. We are going to be so shorthanded at work but they won't allow me to miss for that, but when talking to my neighbor he said that he was excused from going because of his colitis and IBS, his doctor just wrote a letter explaining it and he was excused, and he said "you have that too, don't you?" and I do; I was at the family doctor for it again about 5 weeks ago and just this past Tuesday I met with a gastroenterologist about it and to schedule a colonoscopy on 9/10 and it got me thinking of if I was picked how would I be able to sit through hours of court and not have to go? There are times I go 3 times in a few hours in the morning, sometimes I REALLY have to be close to the bathroom, so I asked my doctor about it and he wrote a letter explaining my situation, I emailed it and also mailed it in so I'll see if they excuse me or not. It wouldn't be the worst thing if I did have to go, and if I was picked and was having a good day bowel-wise I'd be okay, but I never know what the day will bring. I started taking Kyodophilus probiotic and also digestive enzymes twice a day a few days ago, I have taken these things off and on for years but I figured I would try them both on a steady basis and see if they help, so far they do seem to be helping but time will tell. I'll see what happens I guess.

I am working in the medical field and we are going to be really strapped next month so work would love it if I could be excused as would I. I think they should make some people who are getting unemployment instead of working because they make more money that way go instead, they don't have a job so they have time to spend in court, or someone who actually wants to go as some people do.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been summoned 4 times in my life so far...and have yet to attend.
Three of them were settled out of court so I didn't have to go, and one I actually did go to the selection process but they picked their jurors before they even called my name, so I got to go home.
I had an excuse for not going, being that I am self employed with no other means of income, and no one is able to replace me...not sure if it would have worked or not but they seemed pretty lenient with others who asked to be excused for whatever reasons.
One woman, it was so cute, looked like she was about to burst...she was pregnant. She waddled up and smiled..."Um...I'm due in 2 weeks..." She didn't even have to ask to be excused, the judge just chuckled, congratulated her, and sent her back to her seat.
I could have also told them that I could not be impartial, they tell you the basics on what the trial is about, without going into details of course, and this particular trial was an insurance claim. As someone who had to deal with physical injury insurance claims for my clients, I may not have been a good candidate due to what could be seen as bias for the claimant...but that was in the beginning of my career......Now I'm a bit more jaded, I see first hand how so many try to scam insurance companies...so my bias has shifted a bit. I would probably be a good candidate now, because I understand how insurance works but also can "see thru" fake/exaggerated injured victims.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been summoned twice and ended up on a jury both times. That wasn't federal though. I am thinking that may last longer. I only had one week on one and two weeks the other time. I knew someone who was on a grand jury and that lasted a month. He didn't have to go every day though, it was two or three days a week.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been summoned four times and served once. Not for federal jury though.

I got a summons mailed to my Florida address from Colorado. I called to let them know that I hadn't lived there in years. The woman told me that they knew I was in Florida but they assumed I just had two homes. One there and one here. Nope. Sorry. Even if I did, did they think I'd fly there for jury duty? :rolleyes2:

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently got out of a federal jury summons. My doctor wrote me a letter, explaining that I am immune compromised. I, too, both emailed and mailed the info. A few days later the clerk emailed me back and said I would be permanently excused.

Coincidentally, I also have IBS-D. I started using Metamucil as directed on the package last winter. I am pretty much fixed! After 25 years of bowel hell!💩

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently got out of a federal jury summons. My doctor wrote me a letter, explaining that I am immune compromised. I, too, both emailed and mailed the info. A few days later the clerk emailed me back and said I would be permanently excused.

Coincidentally, I also have IBS-D. I started using Metamucil as directed on the package last winter. I am pretty much fixed! After 25 years of bowel hell!💩

Good luck!
I used to take a little bit of Konsyl fiber everyday for years but then it seemed like maybe I was getting enough fiber or too much so I stopped it. I just started taking Kyodophilus probiotic and a digestive enzyme at breakfast and supper and it seems to help, but yesterday afternoon I had to race to the bathroom so I think that might be too much as I read it can cause you issues, so I think I'll just take it at supper or maybe once a day every other day. I asked the gastroenterologist about this but he really had no clue, I think he just wants to do the scopes and then proceed from there, but I have tried these things off and on for many years so I guess it's "trial and error" on my own!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was called 3 times while I was in college for nursing school. when they asked me if there was a reason I couldn't do it, I said I was fine with going if they would pay for the college I was missing, and I was in clinicals, which is very important to attend. It seems odd that I was called so many times during college and never before and after. (i was in my 40's when I was in college)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been called 3-4 times. Some were state, but I think the month long one was federal. That one I didn't have to report for, thank heaven since my boss was having a conniption because it was a very busy time. He wanted me to come in after being in court all day and work until the store closed at 10. I have served on a jury once and then was picked as an alternate so I didn't get to vote. The next time it was basically the same charges and I told the judge about the previous one and said I didn't think I could be impartial so I was excused. Both were sexual abuse (rape) cases. The first time I was pregnant and the doctor had pulled me out of work due to medical issues so I got out of it.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was called once, it was a child abuse case so in the "do you have any reasons you feel would disqualify you from this case?" section I wrote that child abusers deserve to burn in a special place in hell. I got a phone call a couple days later saying that I was excused.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got called once, and ended up as an alternate juror on a federal case. The case ended after a week (on the Friday, the real jury deliberated), and that got me excused for a couple years. Neither the other alternate nor I (we discussed between ourselves on the way to the parking lot after we were dismissed) would have voted to convict--the prosecution failed badly on the "connect the crime to the defendant" point (a drug case in which the accused lived in the upstairs flat, drug deals took place in the downstairs flat, and while there was "personal use" levels in the upstairs flat, there just was no connection made between the defendant and the downstairs flat).

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
My work would flip if I was picked and couldn't work for a week or so, but from what I read and hear the courts could care less about that unless you are a specialized surgeon or something like that!

I'll see what happens and go from there I guess!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been summoned 3 times but have never had to serve. I was terrified of being called up and would have done anything to get out of it. When someone turns 70 they are no longer required to go on jury duty. Just before my 70th birthday I thought I was home free but I got a notice for me to show up for jury duty. I was livid. My doctor wrote me a letter explaining I had severe arthritis and IBS-D and that got me excused.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I got the response today that "your request for "postponement" has been granted. You are not required to report for jury service and no longer need to check the Jury Information system. You will be re-summoned prior to your new date. Thank you".

So I don't have to go this time but it sounds like they think I might get over my IBS and all and be able to go in the future? I'll deal with that down the road, but I don't have to go next month and my boss is thrilled, I work in the medical field and we will be so shorthanded next month he didn't know what he would've done, but now we don't have to worry about it!

It would've been interesting to see if I would've had to report and/or even gotten picked, but I couldn't take that chance right now.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been called basically every 3-4 years since 2008. :rolleyes2: DH has never been called. My mother just got her first ever.

My most recent was just back in May/June. I went for the first one in 2008 and spent several days sitting in a windowless room in the courthouse basement. We went up for jury selection once but I wasn't picked. There was a holiday and it was just before Thanksgiving so that seemed to keep the court cases simple. I was VERY nervous about going but it turned out my unofficial god-mother was also called. We were in different groups but it was literally an answer to prayer to have her there the first day.

I've gotten out of all the other summons because of a combination of childcare and medical situations. I just write a polite letter explaining that it's a financial hardship for us as a single-income, homeschooling family. (Some courthouses actually have a daycare they will require you to use!) Because we are military transplants we do not have a family support system nearby. This last time I was able to send the last doctor's note that I had with his opinion about it; but because of Covid they were actually not requiring doctor's notes. I figured it would be better to send as much as possible. I do wish they had some kind of system in place to be permanently removed if you know you cannot be accomodated.

If my kids were grown and I didn't have the medical issue I don't think I'd mind it as much. At least not the county one. I know it's part of a citizen's responsibility and I think I do a good job at staying objective. But sometimes just regular, everyday situations are difficult to handle so it's pretty upsetting having to go through the process of waiting for that excuse to come in the mail. Even having to go explain in person would have been challenging to me. They only give us 3 days to even get a doctor's note together! I'm lucky when I can get in within a week! But that's why I had a digital copy of the last note; I had to send it in after sending my first response in the required time frame. :cringe:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have loved to have done it when I was single, especially when I was unemployed. It would be more difficult with J these days.

They never call people that want it, seems like. :p

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've only gotten the summons twice. The first time I had to postpone the date because I was away at college and couldn't make the trip back. When I did go to the rescheduled date, I waited around all day in the courthouse only to be told at 4pm that I was not needed. Such a waste of time :bat: The second time I was picked to sit on a grand jury... for 6 months :cringe: Work gave me such a hard time (practically harassment) about that.