Got a new cat, reputable breeder or byb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your advise 🤗 I will probably speak to the breeder tomorrow morning after I get more info about Montgomery's whole situation. please pray for my baby boy to get better soon 😢 Here he is, in his little crate. It honestly pains me that he's not home with us.

And also, because he has this infection, would that mean that Montgomery has a compromised immune system or is it solely because of the condition he was kept in, in the cattery? btw, I've just finished disinfecting the whole room, every single food bowl and every single water bowl, this whole situation is literally giving me paranoia.

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For now focus on kitty. If you hadn't taken him he might well be suffering alone in a corner ignored by that breeder. No one would be helping him breath, no one would be seeing that he was warm and his pain as well controlled as possible. You have given Montgomery the best gift any person could give him. You rescued him as surely as if you had snatched him from the jaws of a coyote. Montgomery was sent to you so that you could protect him from the hellish life he had.

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
Sad sad news, the vet contacted me this morning and Montgomery despite the meds given, is not getting any better, he's not eating at all, and his breathing is only getting worse. Does anyone know the chances of him surviving this?

Whilst worrying about my boy, this whole morning, I also spent my time getting all the facts, times and information on the whole transport situation of the kitten. I contacted clients that had their pet transported with the same service. All of the clients had their pet checked and no serious health issues popped up at all. And after getting more info on the matter from the delivery guy, turns out my cat was alone in the transport the whole ride and that the breeder was a little rude to the transportation guy bec when the transpo guy was asking for a specific time for them to pick up the kitten from the breeder. His answer was, and I quote "WAIT UNTIL I WAKE UP!", very rude, very vague. The transpo service had no choice but to take the kitten a little earlier than planned, since the breeder was not specifying an allocated time and they needed to be early to make the drive since they had another client after Montgomery's drop off. The kitten spent 6 hours confined in his own room at the delivery service's home, the delivery guy sent me proof and pictures. With all this I sent the breeder everything I know.

I believe the kitten's immune system is seriously compromised, even before my purchase. I told the breeder that in 6 hours with no contact of any other cat/dog from the transpo service, if the cat you sold me was healthy it is impossible that he would have such a serious problem in such a short time. He got very very offended by this and very defensive too. He also said that the transportation service I chose was cheap (saying that this must be a factor), which was not, it was priced just right for the journey from his place to mine; all crates are thoroughly sanitised before a tranport and they transport only 1 pet for every journey, to reduce the risk of transmission of any diseases. Attached are some of his snarky replies, no care at all for the kitten. To be honest the delivery guy was much more caring about the condition of my cat than the breeder, which we found funny.

He refunded the money then blocked me, very immature. Anyways, I'm thankful that this part of the problem is done, but I hope Montgomery recovers soon, we miss him so much and it's only been a day :(

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The simple fact that the breeder actually refunded your money tells me he knows he's at least partially at fault. At this point it's probably a good thing you won't have any more contact with him.

Praying for your baby.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for you and little Montgomery. I'm still glad that he is in your care, instead of that horrible breeders. continue to focus on Montgomery. There will be time for other things later.

It is very good that you've collected all the information you have. Keep it.

Keep all the information you have and everything you can get from your vet. In time, you may want to contact your local humane society or breeders association. I know little about breeding, but there are other members who know a lot and will be able to help you.

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On Montgomery: He's still not eating. This was him yesterday when I went to visit him, he wasn't standing nor was he eating or drinking. They decided to nebulise him in the afternoon to ease his breathing a little. I asked the doctor the rate of him surviving this and she said that she's unsure but it still remains critical. So after having talked to my family about it, most of them said that maybe we should put him down since there's no improvement, but I told them no. And thank god, this morning I got an update from the vet that his breathing is getting a bit better than when he first came but still he's not eating. So what they've decided to do is force-feed him, which i agreed on. I will go down to the vet later to see him and how he is, I do hope he gets back onto his feet soon. I'll update you guys with pictures of him.

On the 'licensed' byb: So yesterday I spent the morning talking to TICA here in the Philippines, after telling them that even the money was given back, I would like to take legal action on the neglect done by the breeder. They've advised me to report the whole thing to them and also the Bureau of Animal Industry, so we can file a case against him for animal abuse. TICA was very understanding, and they seemed to agree that I was sold an unwell cat, I gave them proof of our conversations, and what happened during the day of purchase and delivery. I got a statement and screenshots of conversations from the delivery service, which I gave to TICA. I have not yet filed a proper statement since I do need to get his CBC before going forward with this (the vets still are having a hard time getting this done). I was shocked to hear that he was an unlicensed breeder and was just using the whole TICA front to profit from his cats.

TICA told me that we had no fault in this ordeal since it is the breeders responsibility to check over the condition of the transportation if he truly gave a hint of care about the cat, and that the cat must've have incubating the disease before I got him. Messaged the breeder as well last night on his twitter account since he decided to get his followers to have a pity party, publicised and joked about the whole situation. We saw all his comments on the post and all of them are saying that' oh since the client got a refund, did you get the cat back?' and he was like no, cause they're really far from my place (which correct me if I'm wrong, if you cared about the cat, no distance is too 'far') and talking to the client is making me really triggered and stressful. Told him thanks for the refund but the money given back will not and will never account to the pain and suffering my cat is in right now. He didn't reply, he just blocked me.

Honestly I just feel bad that there are people like this, and I hope this never ever happens to anyone else.

I hope Montgomery survives this so I can give him the best life I could possibly give him. Please help me pray for my poor boy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
All the best to the little boy. I’m very sorry to hear he’s been so unwell. Best of luck getting the BYB legally dealt with.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely praying for you and Montgomery. don't even talk to the breeder, he'll just keep playing the pity card, you don't know if those sympathy answers were real or just his friends' accounts. It's really best for you not to have anything to do with this person, leave it to TICA and focus on Montgomery. Keep all your records from the vet TICA may need them.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear he's still ill, but maybe he will pull through. He sounds like he has a fighting spirit.
Contacting TICA was a great idea. Please continue to update us if you feel up to it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It occurs to me that neither you, nor anyone in your family should speak or communicate with this breeder without a lawyer. There is no telling what this person might try to trick you into saying that he could later twist around. You don't want to chance that. Block him on social media. Don't talk to him. You have enough to do now.

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update
After getting a text this afternoon from our vet saying that his breathing went south again, we quickly went to see him. My poor baby tried his best to stand up and greet me, this was him. He was force-fed a few hours before, I asked the vet her opinion on his condition. She said the likelihood for him to survive is slim, but since he is a fighter there is a little window of hope that we can grasp on.

I asked her what the full diagnosis was, she said they cannot give us exactly what it is since up til now it is really hard to get the bloodwork done. Bc there's a chance that he might choke himself to death. But she said that they will try to get it done tonight, since he's moving a little, to give me an answer. They are still unsure whether this is contagious to other cats. She told me that every 2 hours they have to get him back in the oxygen chamber to ease his breathing, since it always gets really bad after a few hours, and that everytime they try to hold him like touch his chest it's obvious that its painful. It's something to do with his upper chest area. She assured me that there were no other symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea etc. just some discharge from his nose and his breathing, if he does survive however, she said he would need oxygen support throughout his life due to this condition. He is still in critical state. :(

We'll see what the tests show hopefully tomorrow.

Attachments

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i think you can't really post vids on here, but let me try share some of his vids

- this was taken before the cat was delivered at the home of the breeder. I didn't really pay attention to it at the time, but if you look closely at his breathing, this was basically the breathing that he had on the 1st day he came to us, and his abdomen was a little distended when he came.

- this was on his 3rd day with us, also the same time we took him to the vet, his breathing was like when i posted about it on here

- second day being confined at the vet's in an oxygenated chamber.

- this was him today, standing up and walking a little but his breathing is still quite bad.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this was taken before the cat was delivered at the home of the breeder. I didn't really pay attention to it at the time, but if you look closely at his breathing, this was basically the breathing that he had on the 1st day he came to us, and his abdomen was a little distended when he came.
Yeah.....that's what I was afraid of. People like that need to be arrested and formally charged with animal cruelty.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah.....that's what I was afraid of. People like that need to be arrested and formally charged with animal cruelty.
I agree. I couldn’t finish the video of poor Montgomery breathing like that, it makes my stomach turn. There’s a special place in hell for people who do this sort of stuff.

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, so we went to visit him today, and my heart broke. :( He's been losing so much weight- to the point of skin and bones. The doctors say that they've been force feeding him since his confinement since he really has no interest in food at all.

I got the results for his CBC, the doctors vaguely explained it's a bacterial infection and he is severely anemic due to his compromised immune system. It is still unknown what's causing him to breathe weird, I've asked for an xray to be done but their xray machine is down.

I've attached the CBC results but if anyone can help me understand what each mean i would really appreciate it.

Also, I've spoken to my family about it and they've opened the discussion up again on whether we should have him put down. I've spoken to the doctors about putting him down and they told me it's my decision to make. Personally, i don't know what to do. What if he has a chance to get through this? Oh this breaks my heart, he only just turned 5 months old...

If anyone has any insight on this, it would really be helpful. I'm at wits end trying to figure out whether to let him go or keep trying. I've asked for a second opinion and the other vet told me if he is suffering, I would let him go to ease his pain. It's very obvious to us that he is in pain and he is suffering but I don't have the courage to do it. He is my son, literally. Oh guys, what do I do? 😭

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's tricky to interpret a CBC simply because most of the numbers only give you an indication of the problem, not a definitive diagnosis. The lines under the RBC are components of the red blood cells. The lines under the WBC are different types of white blood cells. The high neutrophil count is indicative of a bacterial infection, while a high lymphocyte count would lean toward a viral infection.

What antibiotics do they have him on? Have they done any cultures? Without knowing the source of the infection I would ask them about blood cultures and possibly a nasal swab for culture. A culture and sensitivity will show which antibiotic is most effective against the specific infection.

If his nose is stopped up so he can't smell the food that's going to greatly affect his appetite. Do you know how they're force feeding him? Using a syringe in his mouth or a tube directly into his stomach?

Looking at the RBC breakdown, the hemoglobin (Hgb) is the part that carries oxygen. The MCV and MCH indicate a smaller than normal size of the cells. This combination could mean that he's not getting enough oxygen circulated. However, I wouldn't expect the breathing to be affected as much as it is. Are they giving him oxygen now?

Sending :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for your little guy.

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys, sad sad sad news, he passed this morning. Owh my baby 😭, we were planning to have him put down at 11, but we got a message from the vet at 9.30 saying that sadly he died. The vet told me she got an xray done the day before and there was so much fluid in his lungs, he was basically drowning and they found that his heart was so small. I'm so sad, I wish I had known earlier, maybe there would've been a much better chance for him to recover.....

Status
Not open for further replies.