Got A Good Deal On Good Food At Petco

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted a kitten on Saturday and went to Petco to buy a bowl and some other essentials. The employee behind the cash register said they had some clearance cat food and to my surprise it's mostly good brands. My cats are not picky and don't have food allergies so I picked up about 100 cans of stuff like Wellness, Halo, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Solid Gold, Royal Canin and others at $0.78 - $0.98 per 5.5-6 ounce can. I also got about 40 12 ounce cans of Wellness and Blue Buffalo Wilderness at $1.34 each. They also had a lot of 3 ounce cans for $0.58 each but I passed on those because my cats split a 5.5-6 ounce can and the larger cans are cheaper per ounce. I also got 11 (smaller) bags of dry food from the same brands. The total was about $350 but easily would have been twice as much at normal prices.

I actually went to several stores and spoke with a manager at one. They are doing a reset on the cat food section. Each store in a given region is doing it in sequence and putting the discontinued and overstock on heavy discount. That particular store did not have any left and he said the stuff went fast because it was dirt cheap.

You might check with your local store managers to see what the schedule is.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! Sounds like you got a super deal Thanks for the info

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This happens every year. Around the summer time. Same with dog food. Dog food is usually earlier in the summer though. And just an insider tip Tuesday’s are the days they clearance. They start at 50% off then go 75% a few weeks later.
Last year I stocked up on 60 lbs of merrick, natural balance pursuit, and solid gold and a wide variety of cans for very little money. I fed my two cats for about 8 months with that.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been getting some really good deals as well at my local Petco, a lot of foods at about half of what I'm used to paying so I'm walking out with about twice as much. Since there is also one in the next town over, I've found they have different items on discount as well.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Petco in Rockville had a bunch of crazy clearance all around the store on cat foods a week or two ago when I went in for bird litter. Budget dictates I walked out without cat food, but I was like "y'all going out of business?"
The timing couldn't have been better for you.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if they are getting rid of some brands because my store now has weruva

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if they are getting rid of some brands because my store now has weruva
Exactly! I also bought lots of good foods for cheap at Petco a few weeks ago. When someone asked if I needed any help finding anything, I asked about the clearance and the guy told me they were making room for Weruva. It sounded like they were getting rid of some foods that have been selling very well for them.

Where I live, this seems like a silly move because there's Weruva everywhere (I live in Maine and Weruva's based in Massachusetts) but steady supplies of Nutro Natural Choice and Wellness are harder to find!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that they will stall sell wellness core. Other brands she would have to eat more than one can

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that they will stall sell wellness core. Other brands she would have to eat more than one can
Sorry to say but that's the Wellness food I bought! Our cats love the Core kitten food. We're lucky to have other stores nearby but Petco usually has (had!) the best supply.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From what I noticed my store is loosing half of wellness, mostly the complete health kibbles, they lost half of nutro which wasn’t a big selection to begin with, they got rid of max cat and under the sun completely, Half of blue buffalo (mostly the Rocky Mountain foods), the applaws dry food (sad, my cats loved that), some of natural balance, and all of Sheba wet cat food. But I think each store varies.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to say but that's the Wellness food I bought! Our cats love the Core kitten food. We're lucky to have other stores nearby but Petco usually has (had!) the best supply.
As long as Chewy still has it1