Got a 2nd cat, is he a black mackerel?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe him as a brown mackerel tabby domestic shorthair. He's very cute!
  • Brown tabby cats can vary a lot in lightness and color tone (warm or cold), but in general, brown tabbies have black stripes on a brown or tan background. Genetically, brown tabby is the tabby version of black.
  • Silver tabby is a different color from brown tabby. Silver tabby cats have black stripes on a white or nearly white background. When you part the hair of a silver tabby, the base of the hair is white.
7 weeks is a bit young to leave mom and litter mates, was there a reason he had to leave his family so early?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so my first cat tabby classic 11 months old, was so scared of this kitten thats so much smaller than him. he was hiding in the other room for the night. when i put fence up between them, the first one would come then start hissing at the kitten. the kitten is clueless as he grew up with 4 siblings. is there a solution to this or do i need to consider rehoming the kitten?

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the lady wanted to get rid of the kittens... it was quite early.

I just noticed my first tabby, 11 months, now opened up and started playing with the kitten. He is neutored by the way. I noticed my older tabby sniffing the butt of the tiny kitten and even licking. they are both males but why is he doing this??

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they seem to be ok, was eating together even. When they start playing rough the older tabby bites into it pretty hard (bites and rabbit kicks the little one) and the little one hissed and attacked back and yelled at him. Is this normal behavior? will this continue. its like an aggressive behavior from the older one when he plays.

Brittani723

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm no cat expert, but I do have multiple cats and that all seems normal, in my opinion. It took time for all of mine to get used to each other. Except one, he loves other cats. But every time we got a new one, there was hissing and hitting but they all got used to each other. I have one that doesnt like other cats at all, but he does eventually tolerate them. He isn't aggressive, but he wont play with them.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they seem to be ok, was eating together even. When they start playing rough the older tabby bites into it pretty hard (bites and rabbit kicks the little one) and the little one hissed and attacked back and yelled at him. Is this normal behavior? will this continue. its like an aggressive behavior from the older one when he plays.
It's normal to have some hissing and rough play that might look aggressive from a human perspective. If the little one keeps coming back to play with the big one, they are probably just working things out between themselves. Is the little one actually getting injured from the bites and kicks?