Goopy Eyes? Stuck Shut? Read Here First!!

Aprilmbc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens I have are feral (wild)....
The Momma loves me and lets me look at them, (I never touch them with my bare hand, I always use a towel she lays on if I pick them up (looking to see gender, they're only like 3 weeks tho)) their eyes are getting 'glued' shut...mucusy.... Reminds me of eye 'boogers' too. I can't take them to the vet,,, 3 of them, don't have the money, and Momma would freak if I tried to take them that far from her or tried putting her in the car with them...
Family members have used water and boric acid to clean animals eyes and its always worked with no side effects, just clean eyes/noses. Obviously without getting it into their eyes.
Clean them 2-3 times a day, Momma permitted, which she usually does unless their eating.
Any advice?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not use boric acid on the kittens’ eyes!

Use plain water or saline solution to clean them several times daily. Soften any that are crusted shut by holding a warm, damp cloth on them.

Buy a tube of terramycin online or at a tractore supply, and smear it across their eyes twice a day. That should clear them up.

Pfizer Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment, 1/8 oz. at Tractor Supply Co.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope their eyes get better soon! Try to keep them from getting stuck. They can lose their eyesight if the pus builds up behind the lids.

Keep us posted.