Goodbye Sweet Murray

Kristin Bryant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I lost my sweet Murray today. After significant weight loss, lethargy, inappetance and hair loss, he was finally diagnosed last week with pancreatic cancer.

Prescribed with Gabapentin, Prednisolone and Mirtazapine for palliative care.

Murray blessed me 17 years ago when he came into my life at 2 weeks old. I nearly lost him at 15 due to a long and drawn out battle with hyperthyroidism. He thankfully pulled through after radioactive iodine therapy and was doing great until a few months ago.

Murray hated being pilled and spent most of his time resting. Within a few days of starting his meds, his appetite began to wane again. His patience with his four brothers faded and he seemed to lack his usual "zest".

The last few days, we spent time with the breeze in our face and sun on our backs together and shared some ice cream cones. I believe those two things would have been on his bucket list.

After much internal back and forth, I opted to help him cross rainbow bridge before his symptoms got any worse. My head tells me I did the right thing for him but my heart tells me I let him go too soon. He went peacefully in my arms and my heart is broken.

I've attached a couple of pics of him to share how wonderful and beautiful he was.

Thank you for giving me a place to honor him.

Attachments

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, what a cutie pie and what a lover story this is, he was gorgeous. He lived a good long life thanks to you and it is never enough time no matter how many years, but it sounds like he was tired, like he was ready to go on even though you certainly didn't want it to end and I'm sure he didn't also, but it is inevitable that we must part with them but it is not "goodbye" but rather "solong" as we will meet them again one day and it will be wonderful.

It is the grief that is playing mental games with you and it will for awhile, it is never easy to have to "play God" and make that decision but you I am sure did the right thing, and he died in the arms of the one whom he loved the most in the place that he loved the most.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
You did right by him. There's not a person on this planet who knew him better than you. And after all of those years watching over him, there's no doubt in my mind he's now watching over you.
We're always here for you ❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Murray, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Eighteen years together! What a remarkable time...but, where there is love, an eternity is not long enough. This I can tell you...Murray lived, breathed, and had his being wrapped in your love. And, wrapped in your love, he took his first step through the Gate between This Adventure and his Next Great Adventure. Your love walked with him, to guide his steps. Now, in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he blesses you for your courage. His love for you, now translated and purified into Love, he sends back to walk beside you down through all your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There will always be that nagging doubt about when is the right time'. I have always believed in letting them go a day too early than being a day too late. I promised my Burt I would not bring him to the vet, and his end was full of suffering, something you regret even more. There comes a time when the suffering leads to a life of existing, not truly living. If there is no cure, no hope of a pain-free future, it is time.....
He shared your life's journey for 17 years, a testament to your love and the wonderful care he received. You give him honor by grieving and letting the world know of your love, I pray you know he received everything he ever wanted because he had your love. It's impossible right now to not let the pain and grief overtake you, the huge hole they leave in our worlds and our lives when they leave us is overwhelming at times. Try not to let his end be more important than his life. Cling to your good memories, they are infinitely more precious and important.
17 years makes a strong bond of love. A love that is a part of your very soul and will never leave you because it is spiritual. He will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers, so send him those of gratitude and love. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go, so he wants for you, that is love. He would want you to go forward with your life, allowing him to live on through you now, carrying his love and his memory with you. His love and yours is unique, it can never be replaced or duplicated. All future loves will be added next to his, which is residing beside your others, making it even more special and important. He would love nothing better than to feel more love and your happiness. Not dwelling on the sadness and despair.
My heart aches for your pain. We are here to add to your strength, to help you work through all the feelings and emotions you are going through. We find comfort in comforting others, and you will too. Take care, of yourself, and those who you love......RIP precious Murray. You will be dearly missed, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kristin Bryant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement! I am devastated now but as I heal, I know that I will remember Murray with a smile rather than tears. One of the last things I told him was that I would see him again and I do believe that with all of my heart. God bless you all!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh what a sweet boy. I love his bucket list. :hearthrob: I’m glad you got to spend that time with him.

It’s so hard to lose a beloved companion. My heart goes out to you. Rest in peace, little Murray. :rbheart:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was a beautiful little man. My heart breaks for you. My Murray and Peter send their love and hope you find peace knowing you were brave and made the right choice to ease his pain. He will always love you for showing such courage. One day you will see your sweet boy again