Good Pet Door For Unhappy Cat.

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Lady Fluffington has been returned to me. (Thread about it here, but it's not a necessary read, long story short didn't even give it a full two weeks! Siiiigh.)

Anyway I'm having troubles with her. She constantly wants to go out, constantly, all the time always.

She paces and meows and it was beginning to be a problem before I gave her up. I think it's because when she comes to the side of the house I'm in, with the living room and bedroom, my cats hiss at her and make her nervous, so she exiles herself to the kitchen side. Then she feels cooped up and unwelcome, and even though I try to play with her (though she's developing issues with that I won't go into, and neuroses about treats and other things are just piling up by the day), it's not enough. Thus, I had hoped that when adopting her to a person who didn't have preexisting cats, she would relax and be happy inside and not hassle them with all the meowing. (But who knows, if I find another adopter and they bother to give her adjustment time, maybe this crap'll start up for them and they'll return her for that, ugggh.)

She's basically meowing and pacing all the time, ALL the time, all the time. Building her a window-perch quieted her for maybe a day. I didn't let her out for MONTHS for a while there, didn't help, she still wanted it, she never gave up wanting it and became even more insistent about it. Then I relented and started take her for walks, and she'll enjoy them and come in and then be okay for like five minutes, then start up again.

Let me stress that I am NOT a believer in indoor/outdoor cats. I think there are way too many dangers, cars and predators and insane people who poison animals. People say "Omg my outdoor cat got hit by a car!" and I think, "YOU MURDERER" because they let them out there and that is insane to me what is wrong with you! But now I don't know what to do about Fluff. If the issue was just that her mowing annoys me or something I could deal with it, but the issue is that she is NOT happy, and it's killing my soul.

She lived an entire life out there before me, and I'm hoping that just the freedom to come and go will relax her. If she relaxes, that'll help the cats see her as not so neurotic and crazy, which will relax THEM, which will hopefully relax her more. It's all I can think to do.

So I'm looking at this pet door:

Because obviously I need something electronic that will only let one specific cat out.

The problem is the low reviews, which seems to be a problem with EVERY electronic pet door I have looked at, and I've looked at dozens now. They've all got weird problems and work for maybe 50% of the people who buy them. Some have giant tags that break, some only lock for an incoming cat but not outgoing, some don't work unless the cat's basically pressing the tag against the sensor for five minutes, etc. This is the best one I've found, and it's not even very good.

Are there any alternatives I missed? Suggestions, solutions, miracles anyone?

She is currently pacing across my desk back and forth as I type around her, knocking things over, meowing and then running to the door. And I don't let her out this late. I never have. We don't have any kind of tradition where she should expect me to do anything about this.

Sigh.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no idea how you can find a door that will be guaranteed to work properly. When you went searching, I gather you did look over reviews/ratings?
Do they give any kind of warranty - although, if they do it is likely for some ridiculous 30 or 60 days.

What is your outside area like? Could you buy or build a catio that she could come and go from - assuming you can find a reliable electronic pet door? She would have her outside space, and you would have your peace of mind knowing she is safe.

You likely have seen these articles, but just in case you didn't:

https://www.smartdoglover.com/best-electronic-dog-doors/

2017 Top 5 Best Automatic Dog Door for Pets: Safe & Secure

Electronic Dog Doors Not all Created Equal

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Lady Fluffington has been returned to me. (Thread about it here, but it's not a necessary read, long story short didn't even give it a full two weeks! Siiiigh.)

Anyway I'm having troubles with her. She constantly wants to go out, constantly, all the time always.

She paces and meows and it was beginning to be a problem before I gave her up. I think it's because when she comes to the side of the house I'm in, with the living room and bedroom, my cats hiss at her and make her nervous, so she exiles herself to the kitchen side. Then she feels cooped up and unwelcome, and even though I try to play with her (though she's developing issues with that I won't go into, and neuroses about treats and other things are just piling up by the day), it's not enough. Thus, I had hoped that when adopting her to a person who didn't have preexisting cats, she would relax and be happy inside and not hassle them with all the meowing. (But who knows, if I find another adopter and they bother to give her adjustment time, maybe this crap'll start up for them and they'll return her for that, ugggh.)

She's basically meowing and pacing all the time, ALL the time, all the time. Building her a window-perch quieted her for maybe a day. I didn't let her out for MONTHS for a while there, didn't help, she still wanted it, she never gave up wanting it and became even more insistent about it. Then I relented and started take her for walks, and she'll enjoy them and come in and then be okay for like five minutes, then start up again.

Let me stress that I am NOT a believer in indoor/outdoor cats. I think there are way too many dangers, cars and predators and insane people who poison animals. People say "Omg my outdoor cat got hit by a car!" and I think, "YOU MURDERER" because they let them out there and that is insane to me what is wrong with you! But now I don't know what to do about Fluff. If the issue was just that her mowing annoys me or something I could deal with it, but the issue is that she is NOT happy, and it's killing my soul.

She lived an entire life out there before me, and I'm hoping that just the freedom to come and go will relax her. If she relaxes, that'll help the cats see her as not so neurotic and crazy, which will relax THEM, which will hopefully relax her more. It's all I can think to do.

So I'm looking at this pet door:

Because obviously I need something electronic that will only let one specific cat out.

The problem is the low reviews, which seems to be a problem with EVERY electronic pet door I have looked at, and I've looked at dozens now. They've all got weird problems and work for maybe 50% of the people who buy them. Some have giant tags that break, some only lock for an incoming cat but not outgoing, some don't work unless the cat's basically pressing the tag against the sensor for five minutes, etc. This is the best one I've found, and it's not even very good.

Are there any alternatives I missed? Suggestions, solutions, miracles anyone?

She is currently pacing across my desk back and forth as I type around her, knocking things over, meowing and then running to the door. And I don't let her out this late. I never have. We don't have any kind of tradition where she should expect me to do anything about this.

Sigh.
Not sure your location or housing situation, but no matter where you are, I would NEVER agree with letting a cat outside unsupervised (harnessed and leashed). The only compromise would be a secured cat-fenced yard or catio. There are modular cat enclosures as well. But caving and letting her out will mean she will have that much more difficult of a time adjusting to being indoors-only should a responsible and caring adopter commit to her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF your living situation allows for it, a catio would solve SO MANY of your problems! She could be outside, but safe, and IF the other cats went out, they would be safe as well. Is this even a "maybe" solution for you? There are all sorts of catio plans and kits available, from simple and fairly inexpensive to "OH MY GOD I WANNA BE A CAT AND LIVE THERE!"

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a feral that has a catio, It's her safe haven, still working on socializing my 2 cats.
You may want to try this tho, I will be working on putting a cat door for my catio.

https://catflapfever.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI69TDy_Dr4QIVhsVkCh3GNAZ3EAAYASAAEgJCXfD_BwE

I'm posting the website because these people our very helpful, I think the woman even called me after I gave all my info, I had a question for her and she called me back. She was very helpful, she may have info about the cat door your looking for.

Catio is a good way to go, let us know if you need help!
I bought my Catio and modified it, going to build a bigger one someday!

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New Years Even one friends cat hit by a car and a few weeks after another friend in the same friendship group her daughters cat poisoned with anti freeze. I have a three story house and downstairs is a cat room with cat tree, boxes, beds, ball toy etc. Up here I'm sat in cat room with 2 more cat trees, blankets, ball toys and water fountain. This month alone spent £50 on cat teasers and wands and £20 on lasers to add to their many toys which they destroy. I honestly couldn't let my cats out so I've given them loads of room. Next project is converting conservatory to a further cat zone and finally if I still think they need more I will get a catio installed. Indoor cats don't have to be bored and mine have many places to sleep/go to so no bully cat can block access to resources.

From what I've seen of these auto cat flaps different friends have had neighbourhood cats get into their house through them. The really effective way is a cat tunnel as it's basically only the size for your cat so while other cats might get in at least it hopefully wouldn't be a huge threatening cat. But whil i hope you find a good solution I am still personally indoor only.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
raccoons and opossums can get in through cat doors. Your cat can't be smaller than an opossum, they are sort of ferret shaped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I sometimes seriously consider just abandoning all normal life and responsibility and becoming a vigilante who murders people who abuse animals. I'd make the antifreezers drink it themselves and watch them die and not feel bad at all!

/end crazy

A catio, you stupid idiot!! (Talking to myself.)

I had considered a catio, ages ago when I first moved in before I took in the street cats. I discarded the idea because I'm renting and can't make drastic changes, and didn't think of it again until reading this thread. We had 3 cats instead of the 1 we officially put on the lease and are allowed (and now 2 more!), so we thought not drawing attention to ourselves and pets would be a good idea, because while it'd be nice to add space onto this two-room hobbit-hole, if we get evicted then we're ALL homeless so sorry guys, you gotta deal with havin' no space.

But now we've been here awhile and we've seen the landlord's pretty hands-off and rarely comes by, I think we can get away with something small that doesn't mess with anything permanent.

So I just texted my husband and said "WHAT ABOUT A CATIO!!" The problem with it is that we get one day off a week most weeks, very rarely two, and during that time we have to do laundry, grocery-shopping, litterbox changes, and other such chores. He rarely gets time to relax and do the things he wants to, so I thought he'd be really resistant to the idea of such a big endeavor. But before I could even lay it on thick with the promises to help and the entreaties about Fluff's health and safety, he said "I'll start making the plans."

XD Love that guy. Never ceases to amaze me how much time and money he's willing to sink into these kitties, despite how many times he's told me we have too many pets and can't take anymore, and then I take more, because this one's out on the street we have to hellllp, and this guy's all torn up by something we have to get him to the vetttt even though we can't afford it, and this guy wants to come in why can't he come innnn!

Oh man tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 thems are some nice catios, I really like that Japanese one, mine's gonna look like a white-trash garbage hovel in comparison. D:

But still I'm happy we have a plan now. Reeeeally didn't want to do the cat-door thing due to my own hatred of the indoor/outdoor cat idea, and felt bad all over again when writing this thread. Kudos to yous guys for not super guilt-tripping me about it and calling me a monster, even though you clearly disagreed with the idea. ^-^

I'll try and keep you updated on progress, but if I forget and anyone really wants an update, you can always reply to the thread to nudge me and I'll take a picture or something.

Thanks again for the replies guys. Fingers crossed we come out with something secure and happy, and maybe possibly even a little pretty.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sometimes seriously consider just abandoning all normal life and responsibility and becoming a vigilante who murders people who abuse animals. I'd make the antifreezers drink it themselves and watch them die and not feel bad at all!

/end crazy

A catio, you stupid idiot!! (Talking to myself.)

I had considered a catio, ages ago when I first moved in before I took in the street cats. I discarded the idea because I'm renting and can't make drastic changes, and didn't think of it again until reading this thread. We had 3 cats instead of the 1 we officially put on the lease and are allowed (and now 2 more!), so we thought not drawing attention to ourselves and pets would be a good idea, because while it'd be nice to add space onto this two-room hobbit-hole, if we get evicted then we're ALL homeless so sorry guys, you gotta deal with havin' no space.

But now we've been here awhile and we've seen the landlord's pretty hands-off and rarely comes by, I think we can get away with something small that doesn't mess with anything permanent.

So I just texted my husband and said "WHAT ABOUT A CATIO!!" The problem with it is that we get one day off a week most weeks, very rarely two, and during that time we have to do laundry, grocery-shopping, litterbox changes, and other such chores. He rarely gets time to relax and do the things he wants to, so I thought he'd be really resistant to the idea of such a big endeavor. But before I could even lay it on thick with the promises to help and the entreaties about Fluff's health and safety, he said "I'll start making the plans."

XD Love that guy. Never ceases to amaze me how much time and money he's willing to sink into these kitties, despite how many times he's told me we have too many pets and can't take anymore, and then I take more, because this one's out on the street we have to hellllp, and this guy's all torn up by something we have to get him to the vetttt even though we can't afford it, and this guy wants to come in why can't he come innnn!

Oh man tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 thems are some nice catios, I really like that Japanese one, mine's gonna look like a white-trash garbage hovel in comparison. D:

But still I'm happy we have a plan now. Reeeeally didn't want to do the cat-door thing due to my own hatred of the indoor/outdoor cat idea, and felt bad all over again when writing this thread. Kudos to yous guys for not super guilt-tripping me about it and calling me a monster, even though you clearly disagreed with the idea. ^-^

I'll try and keep you updated on progress, but if I forget and anyone really wants an update, you can always reply to the thread to nudge me and I'll take a picture or something.

Thanks again for the replies guys. Fingers crossed we come out with something secure and happy, and maybe possibly even a little pretty.
Feelings...:fireblob:I know them well.

Are you and/or your husband good at carpentry? If so, you can make a fairly roomy modular unit that's not attached to the property and by building up rather than out, you can provide multi-level comfort. We built one for recuperating outdoor cats two locations ago. Ex was a finish carpenter so he knew it all, and I learned and helped. Unfortunately I don't have pix readily available but it was made with basic stuff you'd find at any home store, lumber, chicken wire, and galvanized roofing, plus a door and locking doorknob. Didn't take that long and looked quite presentable. We made little ramps leading up to the several levels with secured doors to slide litterbox in and out and ditto, food and water dishes, so the cat would not escape. The full-size locking door was for when we needed access. We outfitted it with those "cat donut" beds you can get at "pet" supply places, in corner cubbies. The unit was maybe 4x4x7 high.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's been self-learning things for a while, and has built us table and a bench, a bed-frame, and some shelves. (Ohhh that reminds me, he almost finished building a booth like in a restaurant for one place we lived, then we had to move to a new place it wouldn't fit and we had to leave it behind before it was finished and enjoyed, so sad it was awesome!) So he's good enough for a basic catio I think. Do share pictures of yours if you get around to it. ^-^

I wonder how he'd feel about a door for us humans to get in and out? I was thinking it would just have an exit out for them through the window, but a door WOULD be nice to go in myself. Then again we get a terrible ton of bugs (and especially spiders, ugh) out there, so maybe I wouldn't really want to ever hang out in it. XD

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
depending upon the size, you may need a door, for emergency/unexpected unknown things that come up :lol: I will try and post a pic of mine, let us know if you have questions, I have had to alter mine as I went along for various reasons.
At work now, so I gotta get to work!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's been self-learning things for a while, and has built us table and a bench, a bed-frame, and some shelves. (Ohhh that reminds me, he almost finished building a booth like in a restaurant for one place we lived, then we had to move to a new place it wouldn't fit and we had to leave it behind before it was finished and enjoyed, so sad it was awesome!) So he's good enough for a basic catio I think. Do share pictures of yours if you get around to it. ^-^

I wonder how he'd feel about a door for us humans to get in and out? I was thinking it would just have an exit out for them through the window, but a door WOULD be nice to go in myself. Then again we get a terrible ton of bugs (and especially spiders, ugh) out there, so maybe I wouldn't really want to ever hang out in it. XD
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1282.JPG

Here are a few pix of the catio from different angles, inside and outside, showing the door and also the slider that leads into the living room. This may be a bigger build than you want to do, but it gives you an idea of what can be done.