Good non-tracking, dust-free, healthy, not-bad-for-me-or-my-cats litter?

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Sorry for the long title. I'm currently using Feline Fresh which I like because it's cheap and not that bad for me and my cats. But it's dusty and it tracks.

I don't want to use clay because I read that it's bad for my cats' and my lungs. I also heard clumping litter is bad because cats lick their paws and pieces can get stuck in their intestines. But I would like a litter that is not dusty or less dusty and doesn't track. And kills odour.

So I'm basically looking for the perfect litter
I saw this one litter called Odor Busters which you only have to scoop every 7 days....it looks like clay and I don't know whether it's clumping.

I do prefer clumping but I guess if it's not healthy then I will change. I know I have a lot of criteria but if you have any suggestions for a litter that comes close to my dream litter, then I would greatly appreciate it.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

So I'm basically looking for the perfect litter
I saw this one litter called Odor Busters which you only have to scoop every 7 days....it looks like clay and I don't know whether it's clumping.
I'm pretty sure the frequency you scoop has nothing (little) to do with the litter, it has to do with how big the box is and how quickly the amount of waste material fills up that box. If I go one full day without scooping, my jumbo petco litter box is a minefield. Seven days would be ridiculous.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the Breeze litter system, and the pellets are inert and basically dust free. They're big pellets so there is no tracking, sometimes they kick some out of the box but it can't stick to their feet like regular litter so a few pellets might end up just outside the box, which is easy to pick up. I've tried a lot of different litters to reduce odor and this has been the best I've found at eliminating the odor. The only downside is since I have multiple cats I do have to change out the Breeze pads more often.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use the normal wood stove pellets for litter. It's dust free, enviornmental friendly (minus the solids
) and very little tracking. Been using it for more then 3 yrs now and will not go back to any kind of clay or scoopable litter.

Our new kitten we will get in April is not trained to pellet litter but will use the scoopable for a few weeks with him till he's transferred over to the pellet like the rest.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clumping litter last longer as it doesn't contaminate the litter around it and is the way to go IMO.

Personally, I mix 50% red bag multicat formula World's Best corn based litter with 50% green bag multicat formula Swheat Scoop.

Good clumping, good odor absorbing (active enzymes in Swheat Scoop absorb odor well rather than mask them with perfumes), very low dust, biodegradable, flushable, and tracking wise unfortunately some of the Swheat does get stuck in their paws and tracks out, but its big and heavy and so if you use a good litter mat falls out and doesn't go far.

Clay btw is not just unhealthy for you and your feline due to silica dust, but cats also end up licking it off their fur and ingesting quite a bit over time, and it also contributes to landfills and strip mining operations which is where the majority comes from. Cats will ingest a bit of the dust from corn/wheat as well, but since its just food, its no big deal and if anything you have to watch when fresh and introduced to new cats that they don't try to eat the litter on purpose.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use OzPets which is a wood litter, probably similar to the wood stove pellets mentioned above. In a sifting box, urine turns the pellets to saw dust which falls through the top tray. Last a very long time, no dust, controls odour and doesn't track, safe for cats and kittens.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like World's Best Cat Litter. However, it costs too much.

So now I'm using chick grumble chicken feed (non medicated) for a fourth of the price. Seems totally the same thing.

Robin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to you all for your amazing advice.. I will look into all those, believe me.

If I go with the pellets and don't have a sifting tray, how do you clean the box? Do you have to replace with new litter every day?

Nekochan, how much does that Breeze system cost? Maybe I'll save up for it!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

Thanks to you all for your amazing advice.. I will look into all those, believe me.

If I go with the pellets and don't have a sifting tray, how do you clean the box? Do you have to replace with new litter every day?

Nekochan, how much does that Breeze system cost? Maybe I'll save up for it!!
Wood pellets disintegrate over time ... you can compost when you change the box

saitenyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

I like World's Best Cat Litter. However, it costs too much.

So now I'm using chick grumble chicken feed (non medicated) for a fourth of the price. Seems totally the same thing.

Robin
I swear by World's Best. The price is worth it for me, but yeah, it is pricey. I find I have to replace it less frequently (which helps offset the cost), it doesn't bother my asthma like clay litter did (healthier for you and your cats!), and it clumps much nicer than clay litter! My cats like to dig to the bottom and pee there, and clay litter would always form these cement bricks at the bottom of the box that had to be chiseled off. When they do this with the World's Best, the clumps flake off much easier.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, if you like WBCL, unless you are wealthy, and don't care how you spend your money, I encourage you to try the chick crumble (non-medicated) at you local feed store. I go to Tractor Supply Co. because it is convenient for me, but there are other options of feed stores most anywhere.

I learned about this chick feed option on this site. Really, it's seems to be the same thing as WBCT, but for about 1/4 the price. Actually, if one wants to buy a really big bag, 50 lbs., it is much less than that. I buy 20 lbs. because it is easier for me to handle and store, and it is $.38 a pound instead of $1.41 a pound for WBCL.

It not only looks the same as WBCT, it feels the same, smells the same, functions the same, and my cats like it the same.

And yes, it is a world better than clay litter. I used clay litter from 1960 to 2009. It's a big relief to have it out of my life, my house, and my lungs (and my cats').

Robin

saitenyo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll look into that! I've heard chicken feed recommended by a few others here and there, and heard mixed things about it so I was unsure about trying it.

Looks like there is a feed store fairly close by though, so I may try it out.

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have horrible asthma and allergies, so i switched to fresh step crystals and i LOVE it! there isnt a bunch of tracking at all, theres no dust, i only change it about every 2 weeks because as long as i scoop the poop everyday (which is easy because it just sits on top and there is no liquid because the crystals absorb it all) there is still enough litter and it still smells just as good as when i first put it in.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
World's Best Cat Litter, slightly pricey but completely worth it. I've never had a problem with the clumping litter sticking to their feet. I scoop my box several times a day, I don't like the thought of them digging around in their waste. The World's Best makes scooping so easy and quick and it's flushable.

rain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Odor Buster is the best litter we have found.  It is a bit more expensive, but lasts longer and is therefore a more cost effective product.

We have two cats in a small condo, so odor is a problem.  Ever since we found this product, we have been amazed at how there is absolutely no smell, ever.

My bf just purchased World's Best Cat Litter as he was at a store that didn't carry Odor Buster.  We ended up throwing it out.  It was terrible.

We are back to Odor Buster and will never make that mistake again.  Hope it works with you and your kitties too.

mdawn1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We used to use clumping cat litter but one of my cats has pica and would eat his litter. We switched to Swheat litter but it didn't seem to have much odor control. We then switched to Arm and Hammer corn litter. It does fine odor wise, but I'm not happy with the amount of tracking. It gets everywhere.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Once again I am astounded at the choices you have!

I use the crystals and swear by them in terms of odour and long-lasting-ness, but I feel they may be environmentally a bit 'iffy'. 

Ideally I'd use a plant-based litter, but the stuff available here just isn't acceptable to my cat!

Has anyone trained their cat to use the toilet?  I actually find the whole idea a bit bizarre.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't read all the posts, so I apologize if I repeat something.  But I would recommend NOT the pellets if you don't have a sifter.  It's a HUGE PAIN!!  

I like Swheat Scoop, it's low-dust and clumping and absorbs most of the odor.  I use baking soda for the rest of the odor.  Unfortunately,  there is no "traditional style litter" (the grainy) kind that doesn't track.  I've tried next to all of them and even the crystal litter tracks (and I also hated the salty smell the crystal litter made)!  But I do have to say that Swheat scoop doesn't track as bad as some others.  I find I only need to vaccum once/week.  Though I've never tried chick feed so I can't say to that...I have to say that I'm happy with my choice of litter, it's a good price and works relatively well.