Good Night, Sweet Tessie

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll miss you Tessie (6/4/08-2/6/18)

Tessie (named after the Dropkick Murphys' Red Sox song) was THE BEST. I adored her from the minute I met her in July 2008 from PAWS in Chicago. I knew she'd be mine when I left the room she was in to check out some other cat rooms, only to return to find her at the door waiting for me, looking up at me with those big beautiful eyes. The adoption counselor said "Sometimes we don't choose them, they choose us." That was it!

She was my instant buddy, following me around my small apartment, never further than a foot or 2 away from me. Even on my big couch, she'd be right there next to me. Like, on the same cushion. Or she'd be sitting on me. If she was on her favorite bar stool, she'd be facing me and staring at me when she wasn't snoozing. We slept together most nights. She'd usually allow me my space, except for 3am when she wanted a snack. It took years to get to the point where she would go to her dry food feeder on her own without waking me up. Those were some rough nights!

Tess was more feisty than any cat I had growing up, so that took some getting used to. 95% of the time during our 9.5 years together, I had a scratch on my arms and/or ankles. Jarring at first, I got used to the fact that she'd turn on a dime and swat at me in the middle of playing, or even just petting. I liked to think that although I got her in Chicago, she had a bit of Boston gusto in her, like me. :)

She was with me through 3 apartment moves, a couple of boyfriends, loss, winter blues, new jobs, birthdays, and millions of happy times. I appreciated that through everything, good and bad, she was the one thing I could count on 100% of the time.

She was a fighter - she survived about 15 months after surgery and subsequent mammary cancer diagnosis in October 2016. She was in a cone for 2 months due to repeated infections. It was pretty brutal for both of us, but she returned to her normal self eventually. Knowing how bad this diagnosis is, I do believe those extra months were a gift, but I still wasn't ready for her to go. I don't think I ever could've been. Throughout Jan 2018 she gradually stopped eating. She had 10.5 level for pancreatitis, but the vets tried so many different treatments for it and nothing worked. Not even a little. We couldn't help but feel that the cancer was in there lurking, possibly causing all of this. Without biopsies and other invasive procedures we couldn't really tell, but I didn't want to put her through that as I didn't think she'd survive. I also didn't want her to starve to death. By that Tuesday morning, I knew I had to do something for my girl, so after our last vet appointment, I called Lap of Love and they came that evening so I could say good night on our couch, in our favorite spot. I still have some guilt wondering if I did enough but I know this is normal so I will work on that.

We had an amazing life together. Time I will treasure and miss. My heart feels empty and I'm not sure when I'll adjust to her absence. It's just not the same opening the door at the end of a long day to have her NOT sitting there - right in the way, those same big beautiful eyes looking up at me - greeting me. I miss talking to her. And petting her. And kissing her right between the ears. I miss her girly meows, her wagging tail whenever I asked her "who's a pretty girl?", her deeps sighs (I'd say, "I know girl, I had a long day too"), her warmth and her heartbeat as she sat on my legs for hours on end, the sound of her eating. Even the sound of her pawing around in the litter box. All of it. And each morning when I wake up, it's a fresh reminder that she's not there waiting for me, sitting on me, meowing at me to feed her. I miss taking care of her so much. I miss everything about her.

Journaling has helped, as has going through old pictures so that I can make an album. I thought it would hurt, but it brought a lot of joy. I captured so many great pics and videos of her, and I'm so happy I did. It's so lonely here, but I'm keeping busy but also crying when I need to, which is often. Her stuff is still out, including her water bowl which is evaporating, and I'll do what I need to do with it when I'm ready. For now, it stays.

Thank you to this community who helped and supported during some pretty awful times. I appreciate it more than you know. I've attached some pics from the last few months. There are 100 I could share but I just picked out some gems.

Attachments

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Tessie. She was a beautiful girl. I know how much it hurts. Its good you were able to be with her at the end and she was at home. I know how nothing feels right for a long time afterwards and even thinking about getting back to normal seems impossible. Take as much time as you need to grieve and heal. Journaling does help a lot and having those memories of her written down will help provide you with some comfort. She will always be in your heart. :alright:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She does have those beautiful, big eyes, it brings me back to my own little girl who I called 'owl eyes'.......
They become such a part of our lives, it is almost impossible to fathom a life without them. They fill such a big part of our heart it leaves a huge hole of pain when they go. She took that piece of your heart with her when she left, to have you near her for eternity. But she left a piece of hers behind to remind you of her love and to give comfort on those long lonely days and nights. You know the bond of love between the two of you is strong, from the moment you met you begin building this bond and through the years it strengthened and grew. Not even death can take it from you because it is spiritual, and therefore eternal. Use it and your precious memories to heal that heart, she would want it no other way.
You have nothing to feel guilty for, you gave her care when she was sick, you gave her a home when she had none. But most important of all, you gave her the greatest gift she would ever want....your love.
I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, her pain has ended, but yours has just begun.....take care of yourself.....rIP beautiful Tessie. You gave so much joy to the one who will miss your dear face. You will never be forgotten and will forever hold a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so very sorry. What a beautiful girl--such an expressive face in every photo! I know how hard it is, especially the first days. You're in my thoughts. :hugs:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Tessie, dream you deep. You walk in your mama's heart forever.

She was, and is, a lovely cat. This is what I know, to the depths of my being. Love never dies. It changes form, but it abides. She will never leave you. Only her poor body, which could no longer support her great heart and gentle, spunky spirit is gone. Tessie is with you, waiting for your turn, for you to dance on the air with her in joyous reunion.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your little friend, what a sweetheart she is! It is devastating to deal with, we feel that we cannot go on, but somehow, someway we do, albeit it so very slowly. But with time our hearts heal, we get back to somewhat of a normal life although we are changed forever, and we usually end up taking in another little one in need of a wonderful home like yours. With good time....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful Girl! I am so sorry for the loss of your Tess. It really hurts to lose a loved one! I have lost a few in my lifetime, and it hurts, but i wouldn't trade a moment i had with them! I still think of them, some from 30 to 40 years ago, i remember them. But with time the pain does lessen, and we remember the good and the happy times more. I wish this for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, this is a beautiful tribute. It really brings Tessie to life again. Your love for her shines through every word just as hers for you shines through in every photo. It's clear that you were best friends and the loss of a best friend can sometimes feel unbearable. I'm glad that you're finding comfort by writing about her and going through her photographs. I've done the same in the past and it does help - for a moment we are once again in touch with our lost beloved kitty.

Going to the shelter and being chosen by one of its residents is a great honor and it sounds like you gave Tessie the wonderful life that she knew you would. You called it amazing and that seems like the right word. The two of you went through a lot together - always there for each other. Partners. And at the end, like a good partner, you took the best care of Tessie that was possible.

I'm really glad you posted all of the photos of her. What a sweetheart she was with those big beautiful expressive eyes! RIP Dear Tess :rbheart: :angel3: :rbheart:

Rainbow-Touching-Ground.jpg

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for the loss of your precious and beautiful Tessie.
You know that you couldn't have done more than you did, the wonderful photos you have shared with us are the best evidence of how much she was loved and what paradise she lived in while with you.
She'll forever grateful with you for the life you gave her. The best gift you could give her was to say good-bye to her in her beloved spot and you did this too. You have nothing to regret.

RIP Tessie, your wonderful life with your mom is the greatest gift you could leave back.