Good food or not?

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im currently using from as my dry food, here are the ingredients: Salmon, salmon meal, whitefish, pearled barley, white rice, fish broth, herring meal, dried egg product, peas, potatoes, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), chicken liver, dried tomato pomace, sweet potatoes, flaxseed, natural flavor, dl-methionine, carrots, apples, broccoli, celery, potassium chloride, Vitamins [choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, ascorbic acid, calcium carbonate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin A supplement, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, Vitamin B12 supplement], chicory root extract, salt, Minerals [zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, ferrous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, zinc proteinate, ferrous proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper sulfate, magnesium proteinate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate], cranberries, yucca schidigera extract, sorbic acid (preservative), taurine, blueberries, sodium selenite, dried Pediococcus acidilactici fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product. Is this a good food, I have no clue on cat food but I assumed it was a good brand since I've been using it for my dogs and it has good ingredients.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What brand is it?

It's recommended to not feed fish based foods every day. Some cats get addicted to eating fish and will refuse to eat anything else, some types of fish may contain mercury, some cats are prone to developing urinary issues from fish diets, etc. Here's a TCS article: Can I Feed My Cat A Fish-based Or Fish-flavored Diet? – TheCatSite Articles

I'd limit fish / seafood to once in awhile treats or include in a mostly meat based canned food rotation.

Here's a TCS article on how to choose a dry food: How To Choose The Best Dry Cat Food? – TheCatSite Articles

The barley and white rice are just cheap fillers, as well as the veggies and fruits. Cats have no use for any of those in the diet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In my mind, it's a alittle too high in carbs for my taste. The first five ingredients should really be meat, not grains, and I see their fourth and fifth are grains. Plus then they have peas and potatoes on top of that. BUT, the best food is something your cat(s) will eat, so if they like this, then go for it. I would try to add in some wet food if possible though, unless your cat(s) drink LOTS of water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What brand is it?

It's recommended to not feed fish based foods every day. Some cats get addicted to eating fish and will refuse to eat anything else, some types of fish may contain mercury, some cats are prone to developing urinary issues from fish diets, etc. Here's a TCS article: Can I Feed My Cat A Fish-based Or Fish-flavored Diet? – TheCatSite Articles

I'd limit fish / seafood to once in awhile treats or include in a mostly meat based canned food rotation.

Here's a TCS article on how to choose a dry food: How To Choose The Best Dry Cat Food? – TheCatSite Articles

The barley and white rice are just cheap fillers, as well as the veggies and fruits. Cats have no use for any of those in the diet.
They have other ones that don't contain fish, once again I'll be looking for a new food i guess.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my mind, it's a alittle too high in carbs for my taste. The first five ingredients should really be meat, not grains, and I see their fourth and fifth are grains. Plus then they have peas and potatoes on top of that. BUT, the best food is something your cat(s) will eat, so if they like this, then go for it. I would try to add in some wet food if possible though, unless your cat(s) drink LOTS of water.
Thank you, ive been feeding sheba but have some tiki cat coming in tomorrow.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're trying to stick with that brand the game bird, hasen, or surf & turf seem like better options. Still too fish and veg heavy, but at least they don't have rice.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are many problematic ingredients in this food IMO. Catfooddb gives it only 3/10 paws mainly because of the rice and fish. There's also a ton of unnecessary vegetables.

Fromm Salmon A La Veg Cat Food Review
Yeah, they have different recipes will try a different one such as the gamebird. They also have grain free recipes.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they have different recipes will try a different one such as the gamebird. They also have grain free recipes.
Yeah, the game bird and other ones I listed look to be grain free. When looking for a pet food that's one of the first things you'll want to look for. IMO fish is debatable, vegetables aren't great but won't necessarily cause a ton of long term harm, but grains like rice and corn are extremely problematic. That's just my opinion though, I know others will feel differently. If I was on a budget and couldn't afford to exclude all of those ingredients though, I would choose to exclude the grain.