Cause I'm considering taking him off the hills CD..and see how it goes
Btw he don't have any urinary problems now
Took meds up and doing well
Knock on wood as my mama used to say

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Something like Tiki Cat After Dark broth would be great as part of rotation. Very high moisture, high protein, low carb. Would also suggest looking into Rawz (many recipes are high in phos, not ideal for seniors), Koha, Dr Elsey’s Wet food, and Feline Natural (some recipes are very high in fat, if that’s an issue for your kitty).

I’d also suggest avoiding foods with fish for a urinary kitty, just to be on the safe side.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe there is something in this thread that will help. But depending on what the original issue was (crystals?), I would suggest that you switch to all wet food rather than feeding any dry.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only "dry food" a cat with any kind of urinary problem should be allowed to eat is a mashable treat or nugget. Otherwise, everything your cat eats, regardless of brand, must be wet. I can't comment on specific canned foods based on nutrient percentages, but the most important thing after animal protein is water.

By all means do try Tiki Cat After Dark if you can get it at your local pet store and Weruva without fish.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Something like Tiki Cat After Dark broth would be great as part of rotation. Very high moisture, high protein, low carb. Would also suggest looking into Rawz (many recipes are high in phos, not ideal for seniors), Koha, Dr Elsey’s Wet food, and Feline Natural (some recipes are very high in fat, if that’s an issue for your kitty).

I’d also suggest avoiding foods with fish for a urinary kitty, just to be on the safe side.
Weruva chicken Frick a zee! First time I could actually hear my cat per and not little droplets. Her fav! Glad you have found a food she likes

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey
I know dry isn't good
And he doesn't get but small amounts and plenty of water
So the vet put him on Hills CD.
Been on it couple months along with wet I gave him non prescription
But what are some low ash
Dry foods
Wet foods.
Cause he does both
Cause I'm considering taking him off the hills CD..and see how it goes
Btw he don't have any urinary problems now
Took meds up and doing well
Knock on wood as my mama used to say
[/QUOTE]
I was told to try Purina dry/canned for urinary problems from my vet. I had 2 cats with interstitial cystitis and one even formed a stone and had surgery. Mine wouldn't touch Purina dry or canned so I bought dry food only from my vet called Royal Canin Feline Urinary So dry. They loved it and was on it for many years until Covid hit and couldn't get it anymore. Found out it comes from France but now they are all on canned food only. Two are diabetic and the other 2 are boarder line diabetic. Canned food is Friskies, Sheba, 9lives and Meow mix.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheba is an OK brand but not 9 lives or meow mix. Catfooddb.com
One of my cats does not like pate but loves food with shredded chicken. Also different textures to try.. she will eat pate but not if it's runny.. weruva has more appealing smell I guess because it has so much broth. Any cat with urinary issues should not eat dry. Try mixing in canned or freeze dried chicken. Canned cost more but not as much as taking him to the vet

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you see my link above for a thread all about foods? As to which foods are low in ash, I googled and found this 12 Best Dry and Wet Cat Foods With Low Ash Content but cannot tell you whether or not it's valid information. It DOES, however contain the prescription foods for urinary issues, so I'm guessing there is some validity to it.